+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused??!!

What is the current law and legislation regarding having a homebirth? And any idea of cost? Last time around it probably cost me around $2000.

My last child was born 6 years ago and I haven't been keeping up with what's happening in regards to homebirth. I'm now pregnant with number three and scared to death of having to go to hospital again.

Because I'm classed high risk (previous c-section, GD risk, high bmi) what options do I have? I'm located Frankston, Victoria. I've been given the option of either Dandenong, Clayton, or Frankston Hospital. So worried that I'm going to be strapped to a bed with monitors and forced to have another c-section. I hope attitudes have changed, because last time around I was treated like scum for wanting no intervention.

So stressed right now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi! Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

I don't think I can answer all your questions sorry, you I wanted to pop in and say hi anyway. I am a homebirthing mummy of one beautiful son. I am pregnant with my second and hoping to stay home again this time. I am in WA and I birth with a program that is government funded and therefore almost free. It's a great program but it does have restrictions on it- for example they do not attend VBAC home births. So in WA your option would be to find an independent midwife. Each IM would have their own policy regarding accepting the care of women with different risk factors so you just call them and chat about it. They will quote prices but I thought it was about $3000-$4000...... Could be wrong. We have a community group in WA called The Bump. They run a class for women in early early pregnancy that is all about birthing options. I wonder if there is something like this in VIC? It might be a good starting point. Good luck with your search.

Just one thing that jumped out at me from your post. I am very pro homebirth but I do think it's benefits come when you truly believe that home is the best place for your bub to be born and not because you are scared for the hospital environment. How do you feel about this? Where do you truly think is the best place to be? Perhaps now is a good time to try to look at some of your fears. An independent midwife might be able to help with this too. I know terrible things can happen in hospitals but you really should be able to find a team of caregivers in the hospital system who can give you the care that you need and respect you are an autonomous person at the same time. If you decide you do need hospital care during this pregnancy maybe you could have a IM to come with you and support and advocate for you? How do you think you would feel about this?

Anyway these are just some thoughts I had. I hope some homebirthers from your state can give you some more specific answers about your options. No matter what you decide I hope this pregnancy journey leaves you feeling safe, respected and powerful. Good luck! Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I'm looking into having an IM attend me at hospital. I'd much rather be at home, having had such a great experience last time. Hospitals and all that goes wrong in those places is what puts me off. The main thing is I don't want intervention and invasive monitoring. It just sucks the whole system here, there are only two publicly funded birth programs in Victoria. Both have huge waiting lists and wouldn't take me because of caesarean. The whole system is skewed in favour of medical intervention...though in the last 6 years this may have changed somewhat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep the main****** system leaves a lot to be desired!!! BUT I do also firmly believe that you can have a beautiful, safe and empowering birth in hospital if you get just get a few key ingredients right. It's just crap that sometimes you have to fight for it when you have the least amount of spare energy for fighting. I really hope you find a great team of support people to advocate for you. There is sooooo much research around to support your wishes to avoid things like laboring on your back and continuous monitoring etc... Even for a (gasp!) VBAC. I can't wait to follow your journey. Don't be scared and stressed..... This can be an amazing birth for sure!!! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I'm looks ng at having a student midwife follow me through pregnancy etc so at least I'll have some continuity of care. At this stage it looks like Frankston, but I'll see how my first appointment goes first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great! Student midwives can be so great. Keep us updated. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I'm in melbourne, but northern subs, and currently pregnant with my fourth. This baby will be my second home birth after two c-sections.

Planning a home birth is the only feasible option for me. It started out as a way to avoid hospitals and interventions but developed into a deep seated desire to just stay home!

My MWs cost approx $4,500-$5000 all up and it was the same 2 years ago.

Like previously suggested, I'd recommend getting in tough with a local IM. Ten Moons midwifery are very supportive though I can't remember the location exactly. I know it's towards your way.

I hope you come up with a plan you're happy with.