+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Pcos and lack of supply

Hi ladies,

Just wondering how many of you with pcos struggled with a lack of supply.

I'm drinking lots of water, taking motilium, fenugreek and lactation cookies and I'm lucky to express 250mls a day (I am expressing and bottle feeding). Is it pcos related or just me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have PCOS but I did struggle with supply and expressing. I too am taking motilium. How much do you take? I am taking 2 tablets 4 tines a day and I only express 3 tines a day, usually around 7am when we get up, then again mid afternoon, and then last thing at night around 9pm and I'm expressing approx. 350ml per day.

Maybe you could up your dose of motilium?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kezza511 View Post
    I don't have PCOS but I did struggle with supply and expressing. I too am taking motilium. How much do you take? I am taking 2 tablets 4 tines a day and I only express 3 tines a day, usually around 7am when we get up, then again mid afternoon, and then last thing at night around 9pm and I'm expressing approx. 350ml per day.

Maybe you could up your dose of motilium?
    I'm on 2 tablets a day. I'll have to up my dose I think. If I do that though the doc will wonder why I need more so soon. I express 5 times a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is a pretty low dose to be on anyway. Originally my LC said to take one tablet three times a day for three days and then take 2 tablets three times a day but I increased it further after about a month on advice from other mums who has been taking it. I went from expressing only around 40ml at a time to expressing 100ml. So it may help. I'm not sure though whether it has any affect on PCOS symptoms though so maybe check with your Dr first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Definitely up your dosage of motilium. Depending on your blood type, blesses thistle might be better. Check with a natural medicine practioner. I am A+ and fenugreek did nothing. Are you only expressing and bottle feeding or breastfeeding too? Lots of skin on skin can help too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm o+ and I'm only bottle feeding. My nipples are quite flat and DD won't latch even with nipple shields.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PCO and had low supply with both bubs. I needed around 8 motilium tablets a day to EBF. I didn't notice brewers yeast, fenugreek, blessed thistle, linseed or oats to make any difference. Wheatgerm helped a little. I'm O+.

I read that PCOS has a slightly higher incidence of both under and over supply. I guess it's our whacky hormones!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done for doing what you are doing, sounds like you are doing everything possible to give your baby your own Milk. I know people who have done the same and they have said it can be very tiring.I have never expressed full time but have had to when going back to work and having some time out for myself. It can be very hard sometimes when expressing to get the volume that we need. When a baby starts to feed it sends a message to our brain that triggers the Let Down reflex. I have found that to get great volumes of milk the let down reflex needs to be triggered. Some things that have helped me were
    1) Relax, try not to stress about how much milk you are getting and make yourself comfortable. Read a book watch TV (if you have an electric pump), listen to Music.
    2) have a drink of water when you start pumping, I do this every time I start to feed or pump so my brain makes that association.
    3.) Think of your lovely Baby, visualise them or have a picture of them or even better if possible hold them.
    4.) Another thing that our wonderful bodies do is make more milk when there is more demand for it Supply=Demand. That is how a mum can breastfeed Twins. So sometimes you may need to express more to get more Milk.
    5.) The Australian Breastfeeding Association helped me a lot even if you are not a member they have a great Internet site and a 24 hour help line.
    6) Different pumps can play a factor into things I found the Medela (not sure of spelling) electric pumps awsome. But everyone is different so personal choice certainly plays into thing here.
    Good luck with things and try not to put too much pressure on yourself you are doing a great job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Becca is it an known issue with pcos? I had no idea! ?!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Becca is it an known issue with pcos? I had no idea! ?!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I read an article that it is suspected to be linked. Not proven though.