+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a walk in linen, make sure there is broom/mop storage and not just shelves.
    Dimmers on the bedroom lights,
    Plenty of drawers in the kitchen, I wish I had more drawers and less cupboards so I wouldnt 'lose' things in there.
    This might not be for everyone, but I wish I had a robinhood (ironing board on the wall) in the laundry because I hate setting up and down the ironing board and iron.
    Proper positioning of power points to make best use of them without them either being obstructed my furniture, or so far away you need an extension lead.
    Extra tap points outside,
    Data/Foxtel points in multiple rooms.

There is probably more, but I can't think of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely allow extra $$ for electric, what's included is so far from sufficient.

Check the placement of hot water unit, water tank and ac so they arent in full view from your outdoor area.

Check your set back from the street, I've seen houses where they only just fit one car between the street and the garage.

Outdoor tap at the front and back of the house.

Tap in the fridge space.

Check position of ac vents, you don't want them right above beds!

check where the smoke alarms will be, having a smoke alarm in the kitchen is ridiculous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    100% on the extra power points (look at the plan and add up what you have to plug in, I guarantee there's not enough!) and the wider garage. I would give anything for an extra half a metre to a metre in our garage! Also yes on the weird light switch placement!

You will inevitably forget something! We walked into our house near the end of the build and I exclaimed "where the F**K are we going to put the microwave?!?!". We ended up having to knock a hole in the wall and put it in there!
    We have 2 double power points in every bedroom/bathroom and I think 6 double power points in the open planned living area. Our builder is awesome with power points lol, that was all standard. We also have the microwave built into the kitchen because they include a microwave as part of our kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    Definitely allow extra $$ for electric, what's included is so far from sufficient.

Check the placement of hot water unit, water tank and ac so they arent in full view from your outdoor area.

Check your set back from the street, I've seen houses where they only just fit one car between the street and the garage.

Outdoor tap at the front and back of the house.

Tap in the fridge space.

Check position of ac vents, you don't want them right above beds!

check where the smoke alarms will be, having a smoke alarm in the kitchen is ridiculous!
    What had you allocated for light fittings? We put an extra $3000 on the quote for light fittings (but really I have no idea how much anything costs). One thing we haven't asked about is the tap in the fridge space, thank you - will ask about that today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    We have 2 double power points in every bedroom/bathroom and I think 6 double power points in the open planned living area. Our builder is awesome with power points lol, that was all standard. We also have the microwave built into the kitchen because they include a microwave as part of our kitchen.
    In our bedroom alone we have two sets of double power points, one on each side of the room and it's not enough! We have a television, Bly-Ray player, cordless phone, wi-fi extender and baby monitor cradle plugged in on one side. On the other side we have two iPhone chargers (one for each of us), a laptop charger, an iPad charger and a nightlight plugged in. Needless to say we've got two power boards in there, that's what I mean when I say have a good think about what you'll really be plugging in where.

The living room is even worse. Obviously we have an excessive amount of devices plugged in but yeah, when you add it up you'll be surprised by how many things you actually plug in and there's nothing more annoying than having two full power boards in a room and needing a third!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure there is a power point for the vacuum in each hallway/section of the house. We had two hallways in ours and there wasn't a point in the main hallway. I used to have to unplug and replug multiple times to vac that end of the house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Oh, I thought of something I'd absolutely kill for! A nook in the kitchen (with power, of course!) for things like toaster and kettle, ideally with some sort of roller door or cupboard door arrangement so they can be hidden away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I thought of something I'd absolutely kill for! A nook in the kitchen (with power, of course!) for things like toaster and kettle, ideally with some sort of roller door or cupboard door arrangement so they can be hidden away.
    We have a butlers pantry, so I hope to keep everything in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our bedroom alone we have two sets of double power points, one on each side of the room and it's not enough! We have a television, Bly-Ray player, cordless phone, wi-fi extender and baby monitor cradle plugged in on one side. On the other side we have two iPhone chargers (one for each of us), a laptop charger, an iPad charger and a nightlight plugged in. Needless to say we've got two power boards in there, that's what I mean when I say have a good think about what you'll really be plugging in where.

The living room is even worse. Obviously we have an excessive amount of devices plugged in but yeah, when you add it up you'll be surprised by how many things you actually plug in and there's nothing more annoying than having two full power boards in a room and needing a third!
    That's a lot of stuff lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    What had you allocated for light fittings? We put an extra $3000 on the quote for light fittings (but really I have no idea how much anything costs). One thing we haven't asked about is the tap in the fridge space, thank you - will ask about that today.
    We spent over $10k (Que. heart attack!) on power points/lights/ceiling fans. We hadn't budgeted anything! That's not even for fancy lights, just down lights and timber batons where we are putting pendant light (bought separately) I have no doubt we could have done it cheaper, but it's like everything with our house, another $1000 is nothing, say that 50 times and it's 50k.

We could of done it after handover but then you risk tradies coming in and ruining the walls/ceiling etc.

Are you building with a well known project builder?