+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked
    70
    Reviews
    1
    If you have a walk in linen, make sure there is broom/mop storage and not just shelves.
    Dimmers on the bedroom lights,
    Plenty of drawers in the kitchen, I wish I had more drawers and less cupboards so I wouldnt 'lose' things in there.
    This might not be for everyone, but I wish I had a robinhood (ironing board on the wall) in the laundry because I hate setting up and down the ironing board and iron.
    Proper positioning of power points to make best use of them without them either being obstructed my furniture, or so far away you need an extension lead.
    Extra tap points outside,
    Data/Foxtel points in multiple rooms.

    There is probably more, but I can't think of it.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    98
    Reviews
    0
    Definitely allow extra $$ for electric, what's included is so far from sufficient.

    Check the placement of hot water unit, water tank and ac so they arent in full view from your outdoor area.

    Check your set back from the street, I've seen houses where they only just fit one car between the street and the garage.

    Outdoor tap at the front and back of the house.

    Tap in the fridge space.

    Check position of ac vents, you don't want them right above beds!

    check where the smoke alarms will be, having a smoke alarm in the kitchen is ridiculous!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked
    407
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    100% on the extra power points (look at the plan and add up what you have to plug in, I guarantee there's not enough!) and the wider garage. I would give anything for an extra half a metre to a metre in our garage! Also yes on the weird light switch placement!

    You will inevitably forget something! We walked into our house near the end of the build and I exclaimed "where the F**K are we going to put the microwave?!?!". We ended up having to knock a hole in the wall and put it in there!
    We have 2 double power points in every bedroom/bathroom and I think 6 double power points in the open planned living area. Our builder is awesome with power points lol, that was all standard. We also have the microwave built into the kitchen because they include a microwave as part of our kitchen.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked
    407
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRose View Post
    Definitely allow extra $$ for electric, what's included is so far from sufficient.

    Check the placement of hot water unit, water tank and ac so they arent in full view from your outdoor area.

    Check your set back from the street, I've seen houses where they only just fit one car between the street and the garage.

    Outdoor tap at the front and back of the house.

    Tap in the fridge space.

    Check position of ac vents, you don't want them right above beds!

    check where the smoke alarms will be, having a smoke alarm in the kitchen is ridiculous!
    What had you allocated for light fittings? We put an extra $3000 on the quote for light fittings (but really I have no idea how much anything costs). One thing we haven't asked about is the tap in the fridge space, thank you - will ask about that today.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,242
    Thanks
    5,043
    Thanked
    3,637
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    We have 2 double power points in every bedroom/bathroom and I think 6 double power points in the open planned living area. Our builder is awesome with power points lol, that was all standard. We also have the microwave built into the kitchen because they include a microwave as part of our kitchen.
    In our bedroom alone we have two sets of double power points, one on each side of the room and it's not enough! We have a television, Bly-Ray player, cordless phone, wi-fi extender and baby monitor cradle plugged in on one side. On the other side we have two iPhone chargers (one for each of us), a laptop charger, an iPad charger and a nightlight plugged in. Needless to say we've got two power boards in there, that's what I mean when I say have a good think about what you'll really be plugging in where.

    The living room is even worse. Obviously we have an excessive amount of devices plugged in but yeah, when you add it up you'll be surprised by how many things you actually plug in and there's nothing more annoying than having two full power boards in a room and needing a third!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure there is a power point for the vacuum in each hallway/section of the house. We had two hallways in ours and there wasn't a point in the main hallway. I used to have to unplug and replug multiple times to vac that end of the house!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    7,242
    Thanks
    5,043
    Thanked
    3,637
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Oh, I thought of something I'd absolutely kill for! A nook in the kitchen (with power, of course!) for things like toaster and kettle, ideally with some sort of roller door or cupboard door arrangement so they can be hidden away.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked
    407
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    Oh, I thought of something I'd absolutely kill for! A nook in the kitchen (with power, of course!) for things like toaster and kettle, ideally with some sort of roller door or cupboard door arrangement so they can be hidden away.
    We have a butlers pantry, so I hope to keep everything in there

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    937
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked
    407
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    In our bedroom alone we have two sets of double power points, one on each side of the room and it's not enough! We have a television, Bly-Ray player, cordless phone, wi-fi extender and baby monitor cradle plugged in on one side. On the other side we have two iPhone chargers (one for each of us), a laptop charger, an iPad charger and a nightlight plugged in. Needless to say we've got two power boards in there, that's what I mean when I say have a good think about what you'll really be plugging in where.

    The living room is even worse. Obviously we have an excessive amount of devices plugged in but yeah, when you add it up you'll be surprised by how many things you actually plug in and there's nothing more annoying than having two full power boards in a room and needing a third!
    That's a lot of stuff lol.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    98
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    What had you allocated for light fittings? We put an extra $3000 on the quote for light fittings (but really I have no idea how much anything costs). One thing we haven't asked about is the tap in the fridge space, thank you - will ask about that today.
    We spent over $10k (Que. heart attack!) on power points/lights/ceiling fans. We hadn't budgeted anything! That's not even for fancy lights, just down lights and timber batons where we are putting pendant light (bought separately) I have no doubt we could have done it cheaper, but it's like everything with our house, another $1000 is nothing, say that 50 times and it's 50k.

    We could of done it after handover but then you risk tradies coming in and ruining the walls/ceiling etc.

    Are you building with a well known project builder?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 114
    Last Post: 15-10-2015, 07:51
  2. Building a house
    By Monkey'sMummy in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-10-2014, 08:22
  3. Building vs Buying a house?
    By dee1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 13:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
HuggleBib
The HuggleBib is not "just another" baby bib. Sure, your child may be a messy eater who gets more food ON them rather than IN them, so you dread cleaning after feeding times! Well the HuggleBib is THE best solution to help with all these daily tasks!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!