+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5.5 month old not drinking milk, help!

Hi all,
    I started my 5.5 month old on solids a couple of weeks ago. He was beginning to be disinterested in his bottle so I thought I'd see how he'd go. He loves solids and is up to 3 meals per day. The only problem I have no is that I struggle to get him to drink milk.
    I feed him at 7,11,3,6.30 and 10.30pm. He drinks a larger amount at the 2 last feeds of the day but isn't really interested at the others.
    This morning he only drank 60ml, after not eating for 9 hours!
    I give him a solids meal at 8am, 12pm and 5pm.
    I have tried going up a teat size, it has helped a little.

I spose my question is, do I need to stop giving him solids?

Any help is appreciated, I'm quite worried and am unsure what to do.

Thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5.5 month old not drinking milk, help!

My DS is 6 months on Thursday and I found that when we did introduce solids he started becoming disinterested in milk. Most medical professionals (doc, chn etc) said as long as he is having 600-800ml of milk a day then that's fine.
    With my DS I find unless he sooks for his food he won't eat it at all so in the morning I wait for that rather than having him on a schedule and he will have about 250mls in the morning.
    So I guess to answer your question it depends on how much milk he is having. At this age milk provides more essential nutrients for bub than solids. If he's super disinterested in his milk then I would try mixing it into his solids so at least he is getting some milk. I don't think it is necessary to cut out all solids.
    I also find my DS has his days where he doesn't have much of an appetite and other days he demolishes everything

I would talk to the CHN at babys 6 month check up about it too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Em9  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Stop solids for a while as they might be filling him up , they are not necessary at this age and will not provide him with all the nutrients he needs - milk is so important plus with this warmer weather you want to make sure he is hydrated

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Em9  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou! I have skipped his bfast and was able to get some more milk into him before he went for his nap. I think I will skip lunch too and see what happens. I realise how important milk is in their diet ATM hence why I was worried. Hopefully he will get the hint that he needs to drink it.