+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any LCHF mum's out there?

I'm looking at going onto LCHF (low carb high fat) eating to loose small amount of weight (5 kg, I'm already in healthy range) but also for healthy eating. I'm already sugar free but wanting to cut the carbs as well to reap the benefits.

There has been a lot of media attention around this way of eating recently with health experts saying that we have had it all wrong for many years! Saying that the food pyramid is upside down and in fact we don't really need carbs at all. Not sure how much I believe this all, but nonetheless I'm interested to hear of other people's successes (or failures) with the LCHF eating.

Did you loose weight?
    Did you feel good?
    Did you have any health improvements?
    Was it easy to stick to?
    Are you still eating this way?

Please also share any tips, recipe ideas etc if you want to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I eat LCHF, much higher carb than I was because I was pregnant and now bf'ing, but just starting to get back on to it now.
    I also quit sugar first, I think this is the best way to do it, as would be difficult to quit both at the same time!
    I lost about 5kg before I got pregnant, and have about 7kg to lose now to get back to that.
    I use the myfitnesspal app to track carbs, protein and fat, really just because it will make me think twice about eating something I shouldn't!
    I like Sarah Wilson's recipes, more just sugar free than LCHF, but some are. I also have Christine Cronau's recipe book, but don't use it as much.
    I do love a cauliflower pizza base. Or cauliflower fried rice and have even made cauliflower mash! I hope you like cauliflower!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Snooze  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Realised I didn't really answer your questions, I didn't really have any health problems before, but I found I had more energy on LCHF. Really easy to stick to once you get going, your appetite really changes and you almost never feel like eating anything between meals.
    The biggest health advantage for me was that when you cut out all that carby food you replace it with vegetables. And all vegetables taste great with butter on them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi @Snooze,

did you end up going LCHF? I'm reading all about it at the moment and thinking about giving it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started yesterday and I'm loving it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @GirlsRock funny you ask as I've just decided to get right into now! I had to get Christmas then a trip to Melbourne out of the way first! I know excuses...it's a little harder to eat low carb when away as most convenient foods are all carb loaded!

But my SIL has been fully into it since Christmas & has lost heaps. She loves it. There are lots of recipe ideas on pinterest. Also we have discovered this low carb online store, which stocks lots of low carb & sugar free foods!
    https://store.lowcarbcentral.com.au

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snooze For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I kind of do this but I still eat as much fruit as I want (even though it's high in carbs). I also eat quinoa and oats but no other grains. Love being able to eat lots of cheese, cream, sour cream and butter. It's easy to stick to because it has so much flavour and you don't have to have tiny portions - you eat until you're full. There are so many alternative ingredients now that it's pretty easy to make LCHF versions of "normal" foods.

I've lost 5.5kg in as many weeks, with walking 2-4 times each week, no other exercise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and I should add, for me it's not a diet, it's definitely a lifestyle change. I can't bring myself to eat pasta, bread or white rice, I'm just not interested anymore.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (24-02-2015),GirlsRock  (10-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your replies everyone. Its a very interesting concept. I am struggling a bit to get my head around everything. TBH I had no idea that carbs were in pretty much everything, even carrots! Who knew.

Hope you don't mind if I ask some questions if anyone has an answer.

Do you have to buy organic produce? I am a bit lazy and really don't want to drive all over town to buy stuff.

I don't need to lose any weight (I am happy at 59.5kg) but I do have a belly and love handles that I'd like to get rid of (I do bootcamp a couple of times a week but it refuses to budge). Should I aim for 50gms of carbs a day?

Does anyone use the myfitnesspal app? It looks like it might help.

Breakfast. I don't really have time to make a big breaky every morning. What do you eat for breakfast. I am considering sticking with oat/quinoa porridge to start with.

Finally. Please tell me what happens when you eat out. Do you have a cheat meal, or aim for something as close to LCHF as possible?

Thanks lovelies, I look forward to any replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    Do you have to buy organic produce? I am a bit lazy and really don't want to drive all over town to buy stuff.
    I never shop organic. I don't think you need to. With the except of some online products, if it's not at Woolworths then I don't buy it! My daily staples consistent of meats, cheese, greens, butter, milk, eggs.

I don't need to lose any weight (I am happy at 59.5kg) but I do have a belly and love handles that I'd like to get rid of (I do bootcamp a couple of times a week but it refuses to budge). Should I aim for 50gms of carbs a day?
    Hard to say, everybody is different & depends on what program your following. Personally I don't monitor my carb gram intake, I just read the labels & make educated food choices to make sure I don't get carbs from things like sugar, pasta, bread etc.

Does anyone use the myfitnesspal app? It looks like it might help.
    Don't know never used it.

Breakfast. I don't really have time to make a big breaky every morning. What do you eat for breakfast. I am considering sticking with oat/quinoa porridge to start with.
    Always eat breakfast! I eat eggs usually. Dont get hungry all day. Weekends we do a bacon & eggs cook up. Occasionally I'll do a protein/yoghurt/berry smoothie or grab a mini muffin quiche out of the freezer on the run.

Finally. Please tell me what happens when you eat out. Do you have a cheat meal, or aim for something as close to LCHF as possible?
    Depends on how "strict" your being with your carbs. If your trying to get into ketosis then just one cheat meal might stuff it all up for a few days. I just try & go with as little carb as possible. Just think meats - steak, fish, chicken dishes with salad/veg etc. Even at McDonald's you could eat a cheeseburger without the sauce & bun if you had to! But I do find it can be difficult to find food if your out & about, you have to get creative sometimes!

Hope that helps!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snooze For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (10-02-2015)