+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To find out gender or have a surprise - advice from mums who have done both

Hi ladies!

DH and I were having a discussion about finding out gender this time around. We already have one of each so it's not a necessity but due to having PND I kind of felt that it would be a good idea to 'pre-bond' with DD2 or DS2 prior to delivery.

I would love to hear your experiences, why you did, why you didn't and for those who didnt - was it worth it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    we found out with our first, had a surprise with our second and found out with our third (I had soooo many scans that I eventually saw a penis!).
    I don't regret finding out with my first because it helped me feel a bit more in control if that makes sense but TBH, it didn't help strengthen our bond - Ihad a traumatic birth and ended up with PND.

With our surprise? Well, it was just incredible, one of the loveliest moments of my life was DH looking at me and saying "It's a boy?! We have us a BOY!" and I fell in love with him on sight!

I'd have liked another surprise with number three but it just wasn't to be.

It's such a personal choice though so remember, whatever you choose will be the perfect choice for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found out, I HATE surprises. I also wanted to call my baby by name. I definitely felt more bonded to him once I knew. I was also able to buy gender-specific stuff. I couldn't imagine me with a boy so I was able to get my head around that well in advance and then look forward to him and be excited. This time I'm having a girl and my feelings are exactly the same.

I think it depends if you're the sort of person who likes surprises. I really don't need a gender surprise on top of labour and meeting a whole new person who I'm going to be fully responsible for all in one day it's overwhelming enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We found out - DH was keen to know and I wasn't against it. I loved knowing, I really felt like it strengthened my bond with him prior to birth. I also loved that I could call him by his name and buy him things too. I was completely over the moon the day we found out and it was lovely having a bit of excitement and something else to celebrate during the pregnancy

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We didn't find out. DF really didn't want to know and felt strongly about it. I didn't care so we chose not to. DF was in tears when he told me we had a little boy!
    I had huge anxiety throughout pregnancy and didn't feel connected to bub really at all. I've wondered (mainly during pregnancy) whether I would have felt more connected if I knew the sex and gave bub a name. But I don't know - I don't have another time to compare it to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a surprise the first time and found out the second time.

I loved my surprise. It really was amazing. I was the first person in the world to see that I had a son, a moment I will never forget. I didn't have a preference through the pregnancy for a specific gender, however, so that probably made it easier.

With our second, dh wanted to know and I had a strong preference for a girl this time, so felt it would be the wiser option to find out. It was still a special moment being told we were having a girl and I feel it did help me bond better during the pregnancy.

So, I liked both my experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Babies 1 to 5 surprise

No.6 found out

I prefer the surprise. I love that moment.

I found out with no as dd1 would be gone before he was born so she came with me when we found out as a little extra bonding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a surprise with DS and foubd out with DD.. I think I would've prefered a surprise with DD in hindsight.... I usually hate surprises but ill never forget the moment when the midwife said "its a boy!!" It really was beautiful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    We left DD a surprise and it made the birth so special. I also found the build up to the birth very exciting as I couldn't wait to find out if I was a mum to a boy or a girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a surprise both times and if I had another I would go the surprise again. Each to their own tho. People have different reasons for wanting to know or not know it's entirely personal choice.