+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dairy-free Recipes Please!

DS has recently been diagnosed with Cows Milk Protein Intolerance (CMPI). He's 16wks and I'm breastfeeding so I have had to cut out all dairy. Please give me some good dinner ideas!!! I'm not feeling very inspired. Need to be easy and family-friendly, I have a husband and 3yo DD to feed too!
    @harvs - thanks for the site recommendations in the other thread, I have had a look through mynewroots

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dairy-free Recipes Please!

I love using coconut milk as a sub in some recipes. EG vegetable curry -
    Sauté chopped onion and garlic until translucent, add your harder vegies first like chopped carrot, pumpkin, potato soften a little then add vegies like zucchini, whatever you need to use up really! When they have softened add coconut milk and curry powder and let simmer for ages (depending on how much time I have about an hour is easy for me) and voila.
    I love this type of thing because it's so easy to substitute for anything You have at home and to use up that food that's starting to get a little old.
    How much you would use of each ingredient depends I kind of go by sight but I like to have it really liquidy so the rice can soak it all up mmmmmmmm.

And as for family friendly - I only have a 6 month old so I'm not sure how little kids would take to it but the curry powder I have has no heat to it all. And you can sub for veggies they like and add meat too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How much curry powder do you use for 1 400ml can of coconut milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    How much curry powder do you use for 1 400ml can of coconut milk?
    I chucked in 2 cans of 400ml coconut milk (had heaps of veggies though) and had about 4 heaped teaspoons of curry powder. If your not sure add a bit less and taste it after simmering for a while.
    Also forgot to mention that I added a bit of cornflour as a thickener so it wasn't a brothy consistency ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1416207223.298138.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can make creamy pasta bakes, lasagne etc by substituting milk/cream for soy milk. Websites like taste have a dairy free recipe section if you're interested.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Strawberry Blonde For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thai prawns

Coconut milk
    Coconut cream
    Tomato purée
    Tin tomatoes
    Bunch corriander
    Couple cloves garlic
    1cm ginger
    Seracher chilli sauce
    Rice to serve
    PrAwns (or you could use chicken if allergy)

Sauté onion etc add paste then tomato, I also add Palm sugar then half lemon juice. Add coconut then I add little bit chilli cook prawns in sauce then I add more chilli to mine after I serve dd hers she loves it!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    You could just sub in an alternative milk- soy, rice, almond, oat, etc.
    Cashews are a great alternative to dairy as well. I make a dairy free ranch salad dressing and a vegan sour cream with cashews.
    I also make cashew butter. Simply soak cashews then chuck in food processor. You can use this in frappés instead of milk to make them creamy like milk. I often chuck some coffee, ice, cashew butter, agave in a blender or do an iced chocolate version for the kids.

You're really not limited by restricting dairy, there are so many options out there. Maybe look up some vegan recipes for inspiration? You could always modify them by adding meat and eggs but they will still tick the dairy free requirement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Blonde View Post
    You can make creamy pasta bakes, lasagne etc by substituting milk/cream for soy milk. Websites like taste have a dairy free recipe section if you're interested.
    I had a quick look on taste but they mostly had dairy free desserts. Need to have a proper look when I get a chance to get on the laptop.

I am not completely cutting out soy yet but am avoiding it in large doses just in case (DD was dairy & soy intolerant, she went on Neocate formula at 3 months as her reaction was much worse than DS).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    You could just sub in an alternative milk- soy, rice, almond, oat, etc.
    Cashews are a great alternative to dairy as well. I make a dairy free ranch salad dressing and a vegan sour cream with cashews.
    I also make cashew butter. Simply soak cashews then chuck in food processor. You can use this in frappés instead of milk to make them creamy like milk. I often chuck some coffee, ice, cashew butter, agave in a blender or do an iced chocolate version for the kids.

You're really not limited by restricting dairy, there are so many options out there. Maybe look up some vegan recipes for inspiration? You could always modify them by adding meat and eggs but they will still tick the dairy free requirement.
    I'm sure it'll get easier as I get used to it. It just feels daunting at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I'm sure it'll get easier as I get used to it. It just feels daunting at the moment.
    Any big change is daunting but you will get there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-11-2014)