+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Has anybody built a house before selling their current one?

Can I ask why you want to build and not buy established? For is it was to get a house plan to fit our family's needs (which standard plans did not) and if you want this, many standard builders plans won't actually suit you. Which means you'll probably want to make changes to their standard plans which can add time and cost, so clarify if that will be the case with your builder.

Areas where you get stung with extra costs include:

- electrical plans (most builders only include one double PowerPoint per room and only 1 way switches
    - kitchen appliances - builders can use really cheap appliances (noisy range hoods, inefficient dishwashers etc)
    - internal wall insulation is often not included (makes for a noisy house)
    - no eaves on the house (not very energy efficient - eaves will cost extra
    - ceiling heights - often 2.4 metres is standard (which is really quite low)
    - only 1 hot water system and small, you may need to add another one or a larger capacity one if you're a family of 4 or more.
    -internal wardrobe fixtures are often just a shelf and rail

Our builder included quite generous electrical, however when we had a think about what we needed for our house it cost us am additional $4,500 and that was still using standard switch plates, not the fancy modern pushbutton ones (they actually cost $40 MORE each than the standard white old school ones.

I could go on and on, but I won't more you - ask any questions you want, this is the third house we are building so we've learnt from using mediocre builders and mistakes along the way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Make sure to factor in the costs of time delays, if you require town planning. Go and see council about the lot and what the requirements are for 'self-assessable' development. If you can, try to comply with them as you want to avoid a town planning application. Over here in Queensland, a planning approval from council can take between 6weeks for a simple one to a year for something more complicated. And that's before you even start building

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our bank converted our loan for the house and land to interest only for the period of the build and then it went back to P+I on completion.

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-xkwzit For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Can I ask why you want to build and not buy established? For is it was to get a house plan to fit our family's needs (which standard plans did not) and if you want this, many standard builders plans won't actually suit you. Which means you'll probably want to make changes to their standard plans which can add time and cost, so clarify if that will be the case with your builder.

Areas where you get stung with extra costs include:

- electrical plans (most builders only include one double PowerPoint per room and only 1 way switches
    - kitchen appliances - builders can use really cheap appliances (noisy range hoods, inefficient dishwashers etc)
    - internal wall insulation is often not included (makes for a noisy house)
    - no eaves on the house (not very energy efficient - eaves will cost extra
    - ceiling heights - often 2.4 metres is standard (which is really quite low)
    - only 1 hot water system and small, you may need to add another one or a larger capacity one if you're a family of 4 or more.
    -internal wardrobe fixtures are often just a shelf and rail

Our builder included quite generous electrical, however when we had a think about what we needed for our house it cost us am additional $4,500 and that was still using standard switch plates, not the fancy modern pushbutton ones (they actually cost $40 MORE each than the standard white old school ones.

I could go on and on, but I won't more you - ask any questions you want, this is the third house we are building so we've learnt from using mediocre builders and mistakes along the way.
    Yep this. I would never build. Not even my dream home. Dads a builder and the never building that goes on is cringe worthy! If you have set backs etc costs so much!

Est might be 20k for concrete but might end up being 40k so Allow so much more then you think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yep this. I would never build. Not even my dream home. Dads a builder and the never building that goes on is cringe worthy! If you have set backs etc costs so much!

Est might be 20k for concrete but might end up being 40k so Allow so much more then you think.
    Yes, this ^

I recommend getting your own independent engineer to do a footings report and soil test then have your builder lock in a fixed price footing quote before you sign with the builder. If a builder says no then that's a red flag - don't go with them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for spelling mistakes not used to my new iPhone 😂

9. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (17-11-2014)