+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Not all my taxes were paid???

Ok, so I have worked at this job for the past 2 years now. My tax was fine last year, mind you I was only part time. But for the most part of the last financial year I was full time. I'm the only one who works between me and DF. But on my notice, I had to pay back the ATO. I rang up and tried to get as much info as I could, and all the lady could tell me was it wasn't my fault, and that my taxes weren't all paid. So I got nothing for my return. I want to know, could this be something caused from my boss? He is a shady character and I know he is doing things in his business that isn't particularly allowed, like paying holiday pay to people without there knowledge, and on one occasion paid holiday pay as real earned wages, and something else about avoiding tax on his products(currently trying to get all info on this). Is there anything I can do at all? How would you approach your boss if you thought he was doing something he shouldn't? How could you get more info? All help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you take all your payslips to a tax accountant and get them to offer some insight? That's what I would do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Explora For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (17-11-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I am a little confused. Are you saying that you had tax to pay on your income tax assessment? Or that not all of your PAYGW tax as recorded on your group certificate was paid?

When you are paid each week or fortnight, your py slip will indicate how much gross wages, and how much tax. The tax is sent to the ato monthly or quarterly by your employer, and the total included on your group certificate is the total of everything deducted from your pay.

At the end of the year the ato (well you when you do your tax) calculate your total income, the correct amount of tax payable and then deduct the amount of the amounts withheld from your pay. Under normal circumstances you are left with a small refund, but if you have other income, or if your circumstances change during the year (like going from part time to full time work) you can be left with a bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say it's because of the switch from part time to full time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would collect all my payslips and first check that my holidays are correct. They should be accruing at a rate per week less any that you might have taken. Same with sick leave.

Than I would work out the tax that I should have paid. Accessible income - deductions = taxable income. PAYG less the tax on taxable income + medicare levy should be what you owe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (19-11-2014)