+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yep sorry sounds like you started on the right one. Ha I knew as soon as I lent my book out I would want to refer to it for something! Good luck and keep at it. I'm sure you have some tough weeks ahead but I'm now 12 months on from where you are right now and I am sooooooo grateful that I persisted with sos! If you ever need a reminder that it does get easier then feel free to hit me up with a PM. Xxx

BTW I wonder what VP is doing today.....????

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Oh yep sorry sounds like you started on the right one. Ha I knew as soon as I lent my book out I would want to refer to it for something! Good luck and keep at it. I'm sure you have some tough weeks ahead but I'm now 12 months on from where you are right now and I am sooooooo grateful that I persisted with sos! If you ever need a reminder that it does get easier then feel free to hit me up with a PM. Xxx

BTW I wonder what VP is doing today.....????

Yes I wonder!!?

You know what, we've come along way in bubhub land - an SOS thread that is free of criticism. I'm actually surprised there's so many members who are using it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AmyEL  (18-11-2014),LittleBug'sMum  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyEL View Post
    Following just started my 6.5 week old on it... I struggle getting her down for her morning nap with DS (21months) around!
    I know! it is hard with older kids around. Mine are a bit older, but they can kind of understand, need to be quiet, baby sleeping, but that only lasts 5 minutes, then they are running around the house slamming doors, yelling etc!
    Also it is difficult to stick to the routine when you have to take the older kids out for activities etc, and mine go crazy with too much time at home!
    But my older two are at childcare for the next 3 days, so hopefully we can work on this routine again and get some solid sleeps in!

I managed to keep him up until about 1 hr 10 mins after first feed- did the walk around the garden thing (thanks RedCreamingSoda), so going well, he settled pretty easily, but then woke up after the 45 min mark, but has resettled again and seems to be having a good sleep now.
    I know she says to get them up if they have a catnap and then wake up and take them for a walk in the pram or a drive in the car, but my DS doesn't seem to sleep in car or pram, and he resettles with the dummy, so that is what I've been doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    You know what, we've come along way in bubhub land - an SOS thread that is free of criticism. I'm actually surprised there's so many members who are using it.
    It's weird, I would never have followed it with my first 2 kids, but I'm so desperate to get a good sleeper this time around I thought, I would give it a go (making the same mistakes twice is bad enough, but can't do it 3 times!).
    Then when I actually read the book it is much more gentle than I expected, and this baby hasn't figured out a serious protest cry yet, he really is just a grizzle then he falls asleep. Or maybe 3rd time around I can listen to a little bit of a cry and it doesn't seem as bad!

With DS1 we ended up doing CC/CIO kind of a thing when he was about 12 months old and although he is a fabulous sleeper now, the first 3 nights of that broke my heart.
    And my DD, I felt like I have tried everything with her, but she is a terrible sleeper and the only way we all get some sleep is with her co-sleeping, which is awkward with the baby in our room too, but she seems to sleep through his night wakings.
    So this SOS has to work for this baby, because I really can see how important good sleep is for them (as well as me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im interested in trying this. I gave it a go yesterday & at first he just lay in bed talking to himself after I left the room, but then he started screaming. I timed 1 minute & then went back in & attempted to comfort him in his cot but he just got more & more distressed. Wouldnt settle even after I picked him up & rocked him etc.

He had a fully belly & a clean nappy.

Should I keep persevering? Anything else I can do to get him to calm down?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Im interested in trying this. I gave it a go yesterday & at first he just lay in bed talking to himself after I left the room, but then he started screaming. I timed 1 minute & then went back in & attempted to comfort him in his cot but he just got more & more distressed. Wouldnt settle even after I picked him up & rocked him etc.

He had a fully belly & a clean nappy.

Should I keep persevering? Anything else I can do to get him to calm down?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I don't know heartstringz, I've read some of your other posts and sounds a bit like your DS is quite difficult to settle and gets quite distressed and harder to settle if you leave him, not saying that it can't be done, but you might be in for a few very difficult days until he learns how to self settle.
    I'm a week in and we have our good days and our bad days still, so it isn't magic, but I think if you can really commit to it it is worthwhile.

Has anyone out there used SOS with a baby that was difficult to settle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory both mine were only managing 1hr up at this age too. In my opinion you still need to follow your own child's signals. Any book or guide should be just that, a guide. Babies are just tiny humans, they won't all be exactly the same. Some will be far more alert and wakeful and others will tire more easily. Perhaps just go with 1hr up first thing in the morning and stretch them by 10mins each 'up time'? I have read the book though..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    In the book it says wake ups before 6am to treat as a night waking and put to sleep after a feed and wake at 7am.

DS has terrible wind and gas, so if he wakes any time after 5am, it's impossible to get him to sleep again before 7 as he fusses at the boob or stops drinking and struggles to pass wind and ends up wide awake. What should I do then? I find it impossible to start a schedule when I can't wake him at 7 each morning. He also catnaps after his first sleep too, so getting him to the second sleep time is impossible.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    In the book it says wake ups before 6am to treat as a night waking and put to sleep after a feed and wake at 7am.

DS has terrible wind and gas, so if he wakes any time after 5am, it's impossible to get him to sleep again before 7 as he fusses at the boob or stops drinking and struggles to pass wind and ends up wide awake. What should I do then? I find it impossible to start a schedule when I can't wake him at 7 each morning. He also catnaps after his first sleep too, so getting him to the second sleep time is impossible.

Any advice?
    My thoughts are that you are supposed to put him down for sleep as soon as you can and if it is after 7am only let him sleep 20mins, then wake up, feed and start the day then. I've done this once or twice and it went okay, but my bub is usually happy to go straight back to bed at this time though. It is a little bit hard when the other kids and hubby are awake and noisy to treat this as a night wake.
    The wind thing is hard, when they're so sleepy overnight it is difficult to get decent burps out, and the last thing you want to do is be up all night burping.
    I changed routines yesterday and dropped a feed and man are my b00bs sore tonight, I think I'm going to have to express a bit off. I'm also achy all over, but I'm thinking that is from my mammoth Christmas shopping expodition yesterday and carrying DS2 around in the ergo for way to much of today and hopefully not mastitis.
    My DS is also still finding it hard to be awake for long enough before that first sleep of the day. We are out to 1hr 15, but routine is now 1hr 30! And last few days he had catnapped that first sleep, hence all the ergo wearing- have discovered he will nap in that.
    A-Squared is there somewhere that your bub will nap if he just has a catnap? It is quite tricky when you have other kids too as you can't just drop everything and take bub for a walk in the pram or a drive in the car as is suggested in the book. I have found the ergo solves the problem most of the time for me, although my body is not thanking me today, I think he probably spent 3 hrs in there all up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just fine my first dream feed with DD (8wks) fingers crossed it works, never did with DS, she's been waking at 12, 3:30 & 6:30 so hoping to shift it a little... See what happens! Night!