+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Thanks amyd, I think that could be the answer. I have the ebook, but something has gone wrong with my computer and I can't seem to open it, might have to try and download it again tomorrow (when my other 2 kids are at childcare and I can think straight again). But I imagine the awake times are shorter, just wondering if there is an extra feed in there, as not really keen to add in an extra feed.
    He was so tired by bedtime yesterday that I ended up putting him to bed 20mins early, and so he woke 20mins early this morning which throws us out a bit!
    I must say he is generally very settled on this routine, seems to have much less problems with wind and there is almost zero crying when I put him down for sleeps.
    Sounds like it's still working if the amount of sleep he's getting is the same, 20 minutes earlier than the book says doesn't mean it's not working, just means he's not 'textbook'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He usually does sleep till the next feed time even if I put him down early, so maybe I can continue to do this. I have also moved everything forward an hour, so it is 6am to 6pm as I'm in QLD and think we should have daylight savings, so really it is 7 to 7! And my other two are well and truely up and about by 6am anyway. Today has been a bit of a mess as I had to take the kids to swimming lessons, and he doesn't sleep well in pram/ ergo / car yet, but the best part was, when we got home I knew it was stil sleep time, so put him down and now he is fast asleep. If I'm not using a routine I would probably have thought he needed a feed, and I find if I feed him too much he gets really windy. So it is working for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I finally had a look at the 2-4 week routine, and the awake times are the same as the 4-6 week routine that we are following. So I think I'm going to continue with this routine and try to slowly increase his awake times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    So what is the differences then between the two? The feeding and expressing schedule?

What are the feed times and sleep times for 6-8 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hiya!

I follow sos (but it's been a while since we were at the 6-8week routine!). I really really don't think you should move back a routine.

Firstly try not to stress too much- I think it's really common for bubs to seem really tired for the last little bit of awake time. I found the best way to overcome this was to save fun things to do for this time. I found that naturally I would talk and play with my bub as soon as they woke up but if I paid particular effort to just take it easy when they first wake up and then do the playing closer to sleep time. I know there is not much playing at this age but I used the play mat, singing, going for a walk around the backyard.... That kind of stuff. It would keep bub happy and make that last 20min go much quicker.

This is a good habit to get into cos as bub gets older it is much more important to stretch things out. For me this was the key to my son learning to self settle. If I let him sleep before a sleep was due he would wake up early but if I stretched him out and allowed him to be really tired then he would more easily resettle through sleep cycles. As he got older I found playing with water as the best way to keep him happily awake when he was struggling to last!

If you have more sos questions as time goes on can I also suggest that you look at the sos forums. You have to pay for access but they are moderated really well and you will always get quick and thorough advice. I found that the book was not specific enough in a few areas and I needed more help.

Good luck and happy sleeping!!! C

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (19-11-2014),VicPark  (01-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have my book cos I have lent it to a friend but again I really don't digest going back a routine.

What does the next routine look like? Are you sure bub doesn't need to move up to the next one??? I found that in these early weeks that it was best to stick closely to the ages on the routines. From about 4 months I would move when bub seemed ready and not so much based on age.

Xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Digest= suggest.

Woops!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following just started my 6.5 week old on it... I struggle getting her down for her morning nap with DS (21months) around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    So what is the differences then between the two? The feeding and expressing schedule?

What are the feed times and sleep times for 6-8 weeks?

DS1and DD have kicked me off the computer, so I'm not looking at it, but, the 2-4 week routine had shorter sleeps I think, so fitted an extra feed in. The 6-8 week routine then has slightly longer awake times and one less feed than the 4-6week routine.

Thanks RedCreamingSoda for your insight, I did feel that there is some significance to the awake times, and I'm really doing this whole thing to avoid the catnapping. I think possibly I'm only getting away with it at the moment because he hasn't reached the catnapping stage yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I don't have my book cos I have lent it to a friend but again I really don't digest going back a routine.

What does the next routine look like? Are you sure bub doesn't need to move up to the next one??? I found that in these early weeks that it was best to stick closely to the ages on the routines. From about 4 months I would move when bub seemed ready and not so much based on age.

Xxx
    It says in the book if you are starting when baby is older than a certain age, but less than 3 months then start on the 4-6 week routine and move up a routine every 2 weeks, so I think I'm following the right one.
    The next one has longer awake times, so I'm thinking I'll want to start stretching him out before next week when we're due to move up one.