+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with SOS routine please!

I've started DS2 on Save our sleep routine in the last week and am having trouble keeping him up for the awake times.
    He is 7 weeks old, bf'd, full term about 5.5kg now.
    We are following the 4-6 week old routine so the awake times are 1hr 15 to 1.5hrs, which don't seem that long but starts looking for a sleep before the hour mark and I'm scared to stretch him too much as he is more difficult to settle if overtired.
    He self settles fine (if not overtired) but often needs a little bit of help to resettle before the next feed, but then I almost always have to wake him for the next feed!
    He's not having any trouble lasting between feeds (if he wakes before feed time resettles easily and doesn't seem hungry).
    Should I try moving him back a routine so the awake time is shorter, or should I continue with this routine put him down for sleep when he shows tired signs, or try to stretch him out to the time of the next sleep per the book?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ vicpark follows sos, I think she'd be the best one to help you.. Hopefully she sees this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck. I didn't follow sos and my DD was only awake for an hour max until about 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    @ vicpark follows sos, I think she'd be the best one to help you.. Hopefully she sees this.
    I have seen Vicpark's replies on some other SOS questions and was kind of going she would come along and help me out with this...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Good luck. I didn't follow sos and my DD was only awake for an hour max until about 3 months.
    I can't really remember with my other 2, didn't really follow a strict routine with them, so this probably was the case. In the book it talks about them having enough awake time to then have a sleep, rather than a nap, and my other 2 were catnappers, which is what I am really trying to avoid this time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be inclined to move him back a routine and see if that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks amyd, I think that could be the answer. I have the ebook, but something has gone wrong with my computer and I can't seem to open it, might have to try and download it again tomorrow (when my other 2 kids are at childcare and I can think straight again). But I imagine the awake times are shorter, just wondering if there is an extra feed in there, as not really keen to add in an extra feed.
    He was so tired by bedtime yesterday that I ended up putting him to bed 20mins early, and so he woke 20mins early this morning which throws us out a bit!
    I must say he is generally very settled on this routine, seems to have much less problems with wind and there is almost zero crying when I put him down for sleeps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I followed it loosely - was struggling to keep him up for the awake times then I realised if I moved every part of the routine back by 1 hour it was perfect for him. But I was happy to get up 1 hour earlier in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had/still have the same problem. I follow it loosely but ds has never stayed awake the allotted time. He is 5.5months and still only stays awake 1.5-2 hrs. I figured out his tired signs and would put him down then. If I were you I'd try the 1 hr mark (if he's struggling to get to that). Then it's up to you, but I just let ds sleep till the end of that time. For example. ATM he is meant to sleep 1pm-3pm. Some days he is fine to stay awake till 1, others he struggles so I put him down earlier, but never earlier than 12.30. He will then usually sleep till 3. I hope this works. It's exactly the same problem I had and ds is so much better in this routine (even if some days he doesn't stick to it exactly).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I was about to start a thread like this. I want to get 7 week DS onto a schedule, he roughly does the 6-8 week schedule in SOS, but it goes awry in the afternoons when he often still cluster feeds and doesn't have that last nap, so I can't see it working just yet.

I also want to try and use the settling technique but DS is always happy lying by himself for half an hour without crying and when he does pipe up, he really is overtired, so holding him upright and patting his back seems to work for now, rob ably until the 4 month sleep regression.

Where is @VicPark when you need her!?