+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with toddler sleep

Unfortunately DS is a good sleeper so it's hard to help but if he doesn't respond to that I assume that something else is wrong - nappy, hungry, thirsty etc or in pain. So I then go through all those eliminations if baby go nigh nigh doesn't help. Sometimes I realise he expects to be picked up so I don't let him develop that habit if there is nothing physically wrong. I also try to wait at least 15 mins before I go in there and the same when I walk out.

I think if you are consistently having sleep problems though it's an emotional need. Sleeping next to the cot allows you to feel better because you know she knows you are there, but at the same time not developing that habit of taking her out of the cot.

On night lights I have read a lot of positive things that it actually helps with anxiety. I bought DS a gimmo nightlight that he can have in the cot with him for when we stop using the baby monitor we have that has a nightlight as part of it. Had to take gimmo out of the room for now though - he knows he can hold it so HAS to have it in the cot if he can see it! It's a major comfort to him whoops. Instead we have a normal night light and muslin face cloths as comforters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by quietlyhopeful View Post
    I took a blanket in, laid back on the floor and pretended to sleep. She stopped crying instantly and spent the next hour laughing, squealing and chatting. At least she was happy haha! I thought eventually she'd get the picture that mummy was asleep and it wasn't play time, but then she started taking off her sleeping bag so id have to get up and put it back on. After three times I left the room. She cried (but not badly) on and off for another 45 minutes and then went to sleep.
    It was successful in that she was no longer distressed when I left. I will try again tonight and she will hopefully learn that it's not play time.
    She was up for 3hrs in total. I don't know how she's not a big grumpy mess today! I'm absolutely shattered. I spend the mornings trying not to cry. By the afternoon I feel better as I've woken up a bit. I literally got more sleep when she was a newborn, which seems crazy to me.
    It helps to know I'm not alone though
    She's figured out you will get up if she takes off the sleep bag! Can you just leave it off or will she climb out? You could put a small blanket in there if she's smart enough to take off a sleep bag surely she's smart enough to cover herself with a blanket if she is cold.

I never made eye contact doing this and read books on my phone so he knew I was there but not paying him attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was 15 degrees in our house over night so she really needed the bag on. When I got up to her this morning her bag and pants were off but I'm not sure if she did that last night or first thing this morning. Putting a blanket in is a good idea. I'm not sure if she would know how to put it on but it's worth a try! She's such a cheeky monkey taking her bag off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by quietlyhopeful View Post
    It was 15 degrees in our house over night so she really needed the bag on. When I got up to her this morning her bag and pants were off but I'm not sure if she did that last night or first thing this morning. Putting a blanket in is a good idea. I'm not sure if she would know how to put it on but it's worth a try! She's such a cheeky monkey taking her bag off!
    Yes I had to laugh she's a smart little cookie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    how are you going @quietlyhopeful? I'm still having to stay with my DS when he goes to sleep but I wanted to share a little bit of success I had over the last few days. I normally always shut his door (mainly to block out noise from DD) but I walked out and left it wide open and he didn't cry and just went off to sleep. It kind of confirms the separation anxiety for me. I think by having the door open he can hear me pottering about and feels secure? Anyway, thought I'd share to see if you might be able to try it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Redcorset that's so great that you've made progress! That definitely sounds like separation anxiety. My DD has improved slightly. I went in again the other night and laid on her floor and pretended to sleep. She wanted to play again but stopped laughing and chatting after 15 mins. I stayed for 30 mins and she was awake when I left but then went straight to sleep! She's slept through a couple of nights since! At least it have a new method to deal with it when it happens. I think it's separation anxiety (due to the length of time it's been happening), but I also thought I spied some 2-year-old molars the other day too! Surprising, as all her other teeth came late and her top canine teeth aren't even all the way through yet.
    Let's hope things continue to improve for us both