Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    So you're ok with supporting this sort of thinking:

You got a big ol’ butt
    I can tell by the way you’re walkin’
    But you annoying me… ‘cause you’re talkin’ (STFU!)

and

I said jump on the pole
    I didn’t need your opinion
    Gurrrrl I’m sippin’ on this drink
    I’m tryna see what you got
    Not tryna hear what you think
    ??

Regardless of who wrote the song, Redfoo is fronting the clip and singing the song therefore, he is the one who will cop the fury.

Circa 30 years ago the main****** popular music that was causing outrage was Oliver Newton-John's "Let's get Physical", Madonna's "Like a Virgin", Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax". These were the songs and film clips that were considered on the edge (or over the edge, depending on where you stood) of moral decency. I wonder what will be considered controversial in 30 years? Actually, I dread to think.
    If you read my post you would note I said it is done in poor taste so no I don't support it. It just doesn't faze me. It's a song! If you don't like it don't listen or watch it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    If you read my post you would note I said it is done in poor taste so no I don't support it. It just doesn't faze me. It's a song! If you don't like it don't listen or watch it.
    Okay...what about all the impressionable young people who do listen to it and believe that's how you treat women. What about young girls who already struggle with self esteem issues believing boys are the be all and end all and they have to act a certain way or boys won't like them and that's bad?

What about the rapists who feel validated watching the clip and listening to the lyrics believing what they did/do is not big deal?

Can we stop making it a "don't listen to it if you don't like it" issue and look at it as the problem it is, yes?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-11-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I don't watch it, just like I don't watch 95% of commercial TV or a host of other things that I find insulting, offensive, inappropriate, excessively lowbrow and poor quality. Unfortunately though I still have to live in the society that condones a message that it's acceptable to treat women as nothing more than stupid sex-objects that are put on Earth for the whim of meeting mens' desires. Actually it's not that it's just acceptable in this society, it's celebrated through main****** music. My children also have to live in this society, as do yours.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 18-11-2014 at 14:23.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Possibly the worst song I've ever heard.

Can that even be considered music?

And that's secondary to the mysoginistic tone. Who the hell writes songs like this? It's horrid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Beautifully said, just perfect, this is my vote for favourite post!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Okay, opinion time.

Redfoo's song is disgusting, there is no doubt about that. It doesn't deserve airtime and someone who justifies writing lyrics like that shouldn't be mentoring children or anyone.

People need to understand the definition of satire. Satire is challenging power dynamics, it's making fun of those in power. When you're making jokes about women, people of colour, poor people, homeless people, neuroatypical people, etc, that is NOT satire, it's downright offensive and unnecessary. Making "jokes" about people who are already ridiculed by society is gross and unjustifiable. I wish people would stop calling things like this satire. It's not.

The thing I find so incredibly frustrating is the fact that so many people, including women, justify songs like his as a "bit of fun". It's not fun when women are hypersexualized and objectified everywhere you look to the point where people don't even notice it some of the time...or even most of the time. And when song after song, movie after movie, magazine after magazine, ad after ad is created portraying women as everything other than human beings it gets infuriating. When a woman creates excuses for things like this song I honestly wonder...is this how you like being portrayed? Because I hate it.

I want to be seen as a person with bodily autonomy. I want to be seen as a person regardless of the number of people I have had sex with. I want to be seen as a person with feelings, emotions and a mind of my own. I don't want to be seen as something only for men to seek pleasure from. The issue isn't that women get hypersexualized...the issue is that we are ALWAYS hypersexualized. Yes, men are hypersexualized too. Sometimes. That's fine. It's when it's constant that it becomes an issue.

I'll also point out that I question why SO many people have a problem with this song compared to say...Blurred Lines (aka the rape anthem of 2013). I'm not referring to the ladies on Bub Hub when I say this because I wasn't around here when the song was first released, but honestly...not many people had a problem with the lyrics of that song. Most people were totally fine with it and they were fine with the video clip. Tha song was repulsive...yet it was played on all the airwaves without people batting an eye. We need to ask ourselves why society has such a huge problem with this song, but we're fine with Blurred Lines. It could have something to do with the fact that the face of this song (Redfoo) is black. And black men tend to be criticised far more than white men(I'm aware Farrell Williams was also part of Blurred Lines, but Thicke was the face of the song).

Furthermore, I'm sick to death of people saying "it's just a song". It's not just a song...it perpetuates harmful ideas. And those same harmful ideas have women raped, beaten and abused. We need to start teaching boys and men this behaviour isn't okay rather than glorifying it the way it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hate the "it's just a song" stuff. If damage can be done via it, then it isn't "just a song". Or is "Mein Kampf" just a book?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read this on the dwarf, good on her!

http://www.thedwarf.com.au/news/2035...logy-to-redfoo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-11-2014),BettyW  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Redfoo petition

Article published a few days ago (long) detailing how fraternity culture = rape culture at some US colleges. To me this reinforces how gross the song is.

*Trigger warning - rape* (Please note before clicking on link)

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 24-11-2014 at 12:39.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    Article published a few days ago (long) detailing how fraternity culture = rape culture at some US colleges. To me this reinforces how gross the song is.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ampus-20141119
    Yeah this is a big problem from what I hear. If you were American you would have to be living under a mushroom to not know about it. Which ads that extra later of off-ness to this song.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear what everyone is saying regarding 'why this song' when there is so much other degrading, mysonginistic rubbish out there, but....I'm glad this has been dragged out in the public eye. Maybe it will make people think? I am horrified by the lyrics of many songs out there on main****** radio. I'm no prude but wow, is this how society views women? * shudders*

I have a daughter and no joke, I worry. How can I raise her to ignore this cr*p?More importantly, how can I raise my son to fight it? 😡😡😡