+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It is a horrible song, but there are many songs just as bad and no one seems to bat an eye. Do you think part of it is that we as Australian's feel that we have taken Redfoo in so to speak, that he is an honorary Aussie so it feels worse when he did it?
    As far as I'm aware Redfoo had one previous hit (which makes me wonder why he qualifies as a judge on a talent show) and the song was catchy and innocuous. The clip was fun too - lots of people dancing for enjoyment as opposed to dancing to express sexuality.

He has gone from this end of the spectrum to the other with his latest song whereas Eminem*, Snoop Dog etc have always sat at the blatant misogynist end of the spectrum. I guess there's a shock/disappointment factor. It would be similar to when that woman from High5 left and did a semi-naked photo shoot.

*I can't believe his name is in the spell check.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (18-11-2014),~Marigold~  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, it is bad. Really bad. But in hip hop (Hardcore stuff) that is normal. I guess maybe that stuff doesn't make it onto our charts much, but it is really popular and millions of people listen to them, make them rich and emulate them.

I fear for society. I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    No way is he an honorary Aussie, don't say that! LOL. But yes his current role in Australia does make it worse; he mentors aspiring young singers, and kids love him. PP's have mentioned Eminem, but you don't see him getting up close and personal with our kids being their role model, giving them career advice, on our TV's every night and making shopping centre appearances.

And for the most part, I disagree that there is equally as bad rubbish out there. There certainly is a lot of absolute disgusting cr@p, but not to the point of what this goes to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That makes sense. Perhaps that is it - we didn't expect that kind of thing from him. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    As far as I'm aware Redfoo had one previous hit (which makes me wonder why he qualifies as a judge on a talent show) and the song was catchy and innocuous. The clip was fun too - lots of people dancing for enjoyment as opposed to dancing to express sexuality.

He has gone from this end of the spectrum to the other with his latest song whereas Eminem*, Snoop Dog etc have always sat at the blatant misogynist end of the spectrum. I guess there's a shock/disappointment factor. It would be similar to when that woman from High5 left and did a semi-naked photo shoot.

*I can't believe his name is in the spell check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    And for the most part, I disagree that there is equally as bad rubbish out there. There certainly is a lot of absolute disgusting cr@p, but not to the point of what this goes to.
    Eek! I just did some googling and found this page on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyn...ip_hop_culture

Examples of lyrics:

B1tches ain't sh1t but hoes and tricks / Lick on these nuts and suck the d**k / Get's the f**k out after you're done / And I hops in my ride to make a quick run.

Sl*t, you think I won't choke no wh0re / 'Til the vocal cords don't work in her throat no more?! / Shut up sl*t, you're causin' too much chaos.

Punch your b1tch in her mouth just for talkin' sh*t / You lurkin' b1tch? Well, I see that sh!t / Once again I gotta punch a b!tch in her sh!t / I'm icy b!tch, don't look at my wrist / Because if you do, I might blind you b!tch.

Last edited by Busy-Bee; 18-11-2014 at 12:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And Dr. Dre and Eminem aren't even considered hard core.

This line from R.Kelly and Robin Thicke's Pregnant (what is with that guy) - Shes more than a mistress enough to handle my business,
    Now put that girl in my kitchen,

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Eek! I just did some googling and found this page on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyn...ip_hop_culture

Examples of lyrics:

B1tches ain't sh1t but hoes and tricks / Lick on these nuts and suck the d**k / Get's the f**k out after you're done / And I hops in my ride to make a quick run.

Sl*t, you think I won't choke no wh0re / 'Til the vocal cords don't work in her throat no more?! / Shut up sl*t, you're causin' too much chaos.

Punch your b1tch in her mouth just for talkin' sh*t / You lurkin' b1tch? Well, I see that sh!t / Once again I gotta punch a b!tch in her sh!t / I'm icy b!tch, don't look at my wrist / Because if you do, I might blind you b!tch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    The targeting of college students is actually part of what makes this so off - there has been a spate of college rape cases in the US lately and they are largely being unprosecuted - for some insane reason colleges 'deal with' rape cases on their own, and it doesn't actually get referred to the police. There are numerous stories about college boards questioning victims and perpetrators in the same room and perpetrators who happen to be athletes getting away with it because colleges want to keep them. So yeah it may not be relevant to us, but it's pretty gross given the context. Article below explains some more.

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/10/the_...r_has_arrived/
    Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this happening! How disgusting of the U.S. Legal system :/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If lyrics like this were written about black people there would be an outcry (and rightly so) yet somehow it's fine to write, publish and make squillions out of misogynist lyrics/stories.

But we don't need feminism anymore, nooooooooooooo, we just need to 'get on with it' and don't the nay-sayers hold you back!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014),TheGooch  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep there certainly is some bad stuff out there, I even have some of it on CD from my younger days of course!
    But it's not main******. Redfoo is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    If the song was just about up-tight girls who look down on people and didn't want to have fun at a party, then I wouldn't think twice about it. However, they consider not drinking and not doing 'girl on girl' action as up-tight, and that is where it crosses the line.

And this line "I'm tryna see what you got, Not tryna hear what you think". Ugh!

The real issue though, is that young teenagers listen to this music. They are young enough that they might not see past all the so-called "satire". I do not want my daughter to think that she has to do these things if she wants to fit in. I do not want my sons to think that they can put down girls if they don't do what they want them to. Although people might think that this song is just a bit of fun, there can be serious consequences for the young, impressionable minds out there.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, it is all vile and a disgusting attitude and behaviour that our children may potentially see, there is lots of awful, dark things in this world. I don't believe we can shelter our children from everything, nor should we want to (however in saying that DD and DS will not be seeing this putrid clip if I can help it!).

I tend to view this sort of thing in terms of we are raising young adults, not perpetual children. They may very well be exposed to these sorts of ideas about partying and women, be it through media or their friends. I think it's more important to teach morals and foster self esteem, confidence and independence than to be up in arms over one song. If a person is strong within themselves they are more likely to advocate for themselves and have the power to say no to certain situations. Simply sheltering our children does them no favours.

What if our children go to uni and have never been exposed to this sort of behaviour or had conversations about it with their parents? They are potentially put in a daunting situation (such as a party - although one would hope not to the extremes of this clip!) with less resilience to stand up for what they are comfortable with and say no. If they are put in this situation with no prior conversations or guidance then they are more likely to think this behaviour is acceptable, IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay, opinion time.

Redfoo's song is disgusting, there is no doubt about that. It doesn't deserve airtime and someone who justifies writing lyrics like that shouldn't be mentoring children or anyone.

People need to understand the definition of satire. Satire is challenging power dynamics, it's making fun of those in power. When you're making jokes about women, people of colour, poor people, homeless people, neuroatypical people, etc, that is NOT satire, it's downright offensive and unnecessary. Making "jokes" about people who are already ridiculed by society is gross and unjustifiable. I wish people would stop calling things like this satire. It's not.

The thing I find so incredibly frustrating is the fact that so many people, including women, justify songs like his as a "bit of fun". It's not fun when women are hypersexualized and objectified everywhere you look to the point where people don't even notice it some of the time...or even most of the time. And when song after song, movie after movie, magazine after magazine, ad after ad is created portraying women as everything other than human beings it gets infuriating. When a woman creates excuses for things like this song I honestly wonder...is this how you like being portrayed? Because I hate it.

I want to be seen as a person with bodily autonomy. I want to be seen as a person regardless of the number of people I have had sex with. I want to be seen as a person with feelings, emotions and a mind of my own. I don't want to be seen as something only for men to seek pleasure from. The issue isn't that women get hypersexualized...the issue is that we are ALWAYS hypersexualized. Yes, men are hypersexualized too. Sometimes. That's fine. It's when it's constant that it becomes an issue.

I'll also point out that I question why SO many people have a problem with this song compared to say...Blurred Lines (aka the rape anthem of 2013). I'm not referring to the ladies on Bub Hub when I say this because I wasn't around here when the song was first released, but honestly...not many people had a problem with the lyrics of that song. Most people were totally fine with it and they were fine with the video clip. Tha song was repulsive...yet it was played on all the airwaves without people batting an eye. We need to ask ourselves why society has such a huge problem with this song, but we're fine with Blurred Lines. It could have something to do with the fact that the face of this song (Redfoo) is black. And black men tend to be criticised far more than white men(I'm aware Farrell Williams was also part of Blurred Lines, but Thicke was the face of the song).

Furthermore, I'm sick to death of people saying "it's just a song". It's not just a song...it perpetuates harmful ideas. And those same harmful ideas have women raped, beaten and abused. We need to start teaching boys and men this behaviour isn't okay rather than glorifying it the way it is.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (18-11-2014),beebs  (18-11-2014),BettyW  (18-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-11-2014),LaDiDah  (18-11-2014),snowqu33n  (18-11-2014),TheGooch  (18-11-2014)