+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    If the song was just about up-tight girls who look down on people and didn't want to have fun at a party, then I wouldn't think twice about it. However, they consider not drinking and not doing 'girl on girl' action as up-tight, and that is where it crosses the line.

And this line "I'm tryna see what you got, Not tryna hear what you think". Ugh!

The real issue though, is that young teenagers listen to this music. They are young enough that they might not see past all the so-called "satire". I do not want my daughter to think that she has to do these things if she wants to fit in. I do not want my sons to think that they can put down girls if they don't do what they want them to. Although people might think that this song is just a bit of fun, there can be serious consequences for the young, impressionable minds out there.

This 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just yuck, really not funny, not clever, not interesting and not talented. But this is just one in a long line of hip hop /rap songs (and I love hip hop..the good stuff, performed by talented artists why does everyone care about this one song and not mention pretty much every other American hip hop song? I think this is vile and should be squashed, but it isn't just this one song. Nicki Minaj is another example.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (18-11-2014),LoCo  (24-11-2014),Niki24  (18-11-2014),Super Trooper  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Just yuck, really not funny, not clever, not interesting and not talented. But this is just one in a long line of hip hop /rap songs (and I love hip hop..the good stuff, performed by talented artists why does everyone care about this one song and not mention pretty much every other American hip hop song? I think this is vile and should be squashed, but it isn't just this one song. Nicki Minaj is another example.
    I have never understood this logic. Just because we don't stand up for everything, we should all just sit back and stand for nothing.

Change has to start small for many reasons. One reason is because if people look at the bigger picture, it just seems way too overwhelming and they give up. Another reason is because if everyone was just ranting about music in general, it wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. So what if everyone is up in arms about one song? It's making the news, isn't it? And hopefully, the next person that pens a similar song might think twice before doing it because they have seen what has happened with this one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (18-11-2014),TheGooch  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You've got me all wrong. It isn't logic - it is a question. I am not saying we should not stand up against this song because we don't stand up for everything. I am genuinely asking why this song? What is it about this particular song that people are so upset with? I think it is vile, but then again - I think 95% of all modern songs are vile. I don't feel it is any worse - but the same as most of the crap out there. I am really glad that people are speaking up about it though.

I am really interested in this, I read a lot about sexism, gender disparity, feminism and am studying gender studies next semester. So when I ask "Why"? It isn't to shut you down - it is really wanting to get to the bottom of the problem, to really try and work things out. You know?

Quote Originally Posted by gizmoduckus View Post
    I have never understood this logic. Just because we don't stand up for everything, we should all just sit back and stand for nothing.

Change has to start small for many reasons. One reason is because if people look at the bigger picture, it just seems way too overwhelming and they give up. Another reason is because if everyone was just ranting about music in general, it wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. So what if everyone is up in arms about one song? It's making the news, isn't it? And hopefully, the next person that pens a similar song might think twice before doing it because they have seen what has happened with this one.
    Last edited by beebs; 18-11-2014 at 11:14.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (18-11-2014),Super Trooper  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am genuinely asking why this song? What is it about this particular song that people are so upset with? I think it is vile, but then again - I think 95% of all modern songs are vile. I don't feel it is any worse - but the same as most of the crap out there. I am really glad that people are speaking up about it though.
    For me, as I said in a PP, this song is worse because the women are actually being verbally and physically abused, for saying no to drinks and sex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I love Red Foo and this hasn't changed my view. It isn't his song, he is featuring in the clip. There are many other music clips that have been worse than this over the years. It has been done in poor taste but it is only a clip
    So you're ok with supporting this sort of thinking:

You got a big ol’ butt
    I can tell by the way you’re walkin’
    But you annoying me… ‘cause you’re talkin’ (STFU!)

and

I said jump on the pole
    I didn’t need your opinion
    Gurrrrl I’m sippin’ on this drink
    I’m tryna see what you got
    Not tryna hear what you think
    ??

Regardless of who wrote the song, Redfoo is fronting the clip and singing the song therefore, he is the one who will cop the fury.

Circa 30 years ago the main****** popular music that was causing outrage was Oliver Newton-John's "Let's get Physical", Madonna's "Like a Virgin", Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax". These were the songs and film clips that were considered on the edge (or over the edge, depending on where you stood) of moral decency. I wonder what will be considered controversial in 30 years? Actually, I dread to think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Heaven forbid a woman talk instead of pole dance and have sex.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    For me, as I said in a PP, this song is worse because the women are actually being verbally and physically abused, for saying no to drinks and sex.
    It is a horrible song, but there are many songs just as bad and no one seems to bat an eye. Do you think part of it is that we as Australian's feel that we have taken Redfoo in so to speak, that he is an honorary Aussie so it feels worse when he did it?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Normally I'm pretty easy going, especially when it comes to music/art etc but this song is gross.

I'm also p!ssed that Vevo promote it and it's easily accessible to kids if they're watching other songs. My daughter had asked to watch the new 1D and Taylor Swift clips the other day, so I put TS on and as soon as it finished Redfoos song popped up. I know i's easy to solve by not allowing kids on YouTube etc but surely clips which are flagged as inappropriate shouldn't be in the promoted clips?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a horrible song, but there are many songs just as bad and no one seems to bat an eye. Do you think part of it is that we as Australian's feel that we have taken Redfoo in so to speak, that he is an honorary Aussie so it feels worse when he did it?
    No way is he an honorary Aussie, don't say that! LOL. But yes his current role in Australia does make it worse; he mentors aspiring young singers, and kids love him. PP's have mentioned Eminem, but you don't see him getting up close and personal with our kids being their role model, giving them career advice, on our TV's every night and making shopping centre appearances.

And for the most part, I disagree that there is equally as bad rubbish out there. There certainly is a lot of absolute disgusting cr@p, but not to the point of what this goes to.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast