+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64
  1. #21
    TheGooch's Avatar
    TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,774
    Thanks
    7,992
    Thanked
    4,121
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The trouble with excusing this film clip, song lyrics and those like them as no worse than anything else that's out there is that it shows the acceptance society has of sexism and misogyny. It's ok because everyone's doing it. People are so uptight. It's just a bit of fun...
    It saddens me that this thinking is perpetuated with every new release of a song frequenting the word b*tch, wh*re, sl*t. It's all ok because it's just a bit of satire or I just get annoyed because I "don't get it".
    I get it just fine and it's still cr*p.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-11-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (17-11-2014)

  3. #22
    threechooks's Avatar
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanks
    402
    Thanked
    420
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is written by the record label under the vid on youtube...

    Published on Oct 30, 2014 The following is a satirical video based on Sororities/Fraternities and the cliche "Literally I Can't". This content is in no way to be interpreted as misogynistic or negative towards any groups of people. It is an art piece and it shall be taken as such

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,269
    Thanks
    2,955
    Thanked
    1,410
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    This is written by the record label under the vid on youtube...

    Published on Oct 30, 2014 The following is a satirical video based on Sororities/Fraternities and the cliche "Literally I Can't". This content is in no way to be interpreted as misogynistic or negative towards any groups of people. It is an art piece and it shall be taken as such
    In no way to be interpreted as? Do they mean intended? Because they are literally kidding themselves if they think that a) it's art and b) they can tell people how to interpret "art".

    I shared this petition on my Facebook a few days ago. The lyrics are absolutely disgusting - basically "shut up and drink and be loose to amuse us, you dumb $luts" and while it's a new low in an industry that already scrapes the bottom of the barrel, a line needs to be drawn in the sand somewhere.

    Redfoo tweeted that *he* was being victimised or attacked over this. Poor diddums.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Nomsie  (17-11-2014)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It would be really hard for men to make clips like this if women refused to parade themselves at scantily dressed half wits in front of the camera.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    CompareTheMeerkat  (16-11-2014),HeavenBlue  (16-11-2014)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,087
    Thanks
    1,179
    Thanked
    1,566
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I have to say I looked at this as satire the first time I saw it. I still do. If you are going to start petitions about this then why allow Nicki Minaj to destroy feminism and say nothing?

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the heart :)
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanks
    290
    Thanked
    504
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemum34 View Post
    The trouble with excusing this film clip, song lyrics and those like them as no worse than anything else that's out there is that it shows the acceptance society has of sexism and misogyny. It's ok because everyone's doing it. People are so uptight. It's just a bit of fun...
    It saddens me that this thinking is perpetuated with every new release of a song frequenting the word b*tch, wh*re, sl*t. It's all ok because it's just a bit of satire or I just get annoyed because I "don't get it".
    I get it just fine and it's still cr*p.
    I'm on the fence with this one.

    Whilst I agree it's not ok to accept sexism and misogyny, and I agree with the sentiment we can't just accept this song as being ok because there are other equally as bad songs out there, I can't say I'm offended by the song. I think the music industry has a problem with misogyny, but I don't feel the need to pick on this song in particular.

    I think part of being "equal" in terms of sex, race, etc, is also being able to be the subject of a joke. For example, if there was a video clip about a dumb blokes, we would all have a good laugh. A video about uptight college girls and we all get offended. I think to be truly empowered one has to be ok with jokes/satire at their expense, because (collective) you know you are ok, you can tolerate a joke, if that makes sense? In saying all that, I don't identify as an uptight American college girl, and I feel this clip is aimed at them, not all women. I don't feel we should all be offended just because we are women when it is a satire of a particular group of women (not saying that is ok to pick on this group of women, I'm just saying I don't feel personally offended as a woman).

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

    Nomia  (17-11-2014),snowqu33n  (17-11-2014),SpecialK  (17-11-2014)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    1,741
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    I'm on the fence with this one.

    Whilst I agree it's not ok to accept sexism and misogyny, and I agree with the sentiment we can't just accept this song as being ok because there are other equally as bad songs out there, I can't say I'm offended by the song. I think the music industry has a problem with misogyny, but I don't feel the need to pick on this song in particular.

    I think part of being "equal" in terms of sex, race, etc, is also being able to be the subject of a joke. For example, if there was a video clip about a dumb blokes, we would all have a good laugh. A video about uptight college girls and we all get offended. I think to be truly empowered one has to be ok with jokes/satire at their expense, because (collective) you know you are ok, you can tolerate a joke, if that makes sense? In saying all that, I don't identify as an uptight American college girl, and I feel this clip is aimed at them, not all women. I don't feel we should all be offended just because we are women when it is a satire of a particular group of women (not saying that is ok to pick on this group of women, I'm just saying I don't feel personally offended as a woman).
    ^^^this!

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But this clip isn't just about misogyny, the women in it are actually being assaulted, just because they won't get p!ssed and engage in sexual acts for the guys pleasure!!

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-11-2014),BettyW  (17-11-2014),LoveLivesHere  (17-11-2014)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,269
    Thanks
    2,955
    Thanked
    1,410
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    In saying all that, I don't identify as an uptight American college girl, and I feel this clip is aimed at them, not all women. I don't feel we should all be offended just because we are women when it is a satire of a particular group of women (not saying that is ok to pick on this group of women, I'm just saying I don't feel personally offended as a woman).
    The targeting of college students is actually part of what makes this so off - there has been a spate of college rape cases in the US lately and they are largely being unprosecuted - for some insane reason colleges 'deal with' rape cases on their own, and it doesn't actually get referred to the police. There are numerous stories about college boards questioning victims and perpetrators in the same room and perpetrators who happen to be athletes getting away with it because colleges want to keep them. So yeah it may not be relevant to us, but it's pretty gross given the context. Article below explains some more.

    http://www.salon.com/2014/11/10/the_...r_has_arrived/

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (17-11-2014),Super Trooper  (18-11-2014)

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,027
    Thanks
    1,447
    Thanked
    499
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the song was just about up-tight girls who look down on people and didn't want to have fun at a party, then I wouldn't think twice about it. However, they consider not drinking and not doing 'girl on girl' action as up-tight, and that is where it crosses the line.

    And this line "I'm tryna see what you got, Not tryna hear what you think". Ugh!

    The real issue though, is that young teenagers listen to this music. They are young enough that they might not see past all the so-called "satire". I do not want my daughter to think that she has to do these things if she wants to fit in. I do not want my sons to think that they can put down girls if they don't do what they want them to. Although people might think that this song is just a bit of fun, there can be serious consequences for the young, impressionable minds out there.



  17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gizmoduckus For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (17-11-2014),CMF  (17-11-2014),LoveLivesHere  (17-11-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (17-11-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (18-11-2014),TheGooch  (17-11-2014),Wheaty  (18-11-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Petition to Support ASD children in public schools. Please sign!
    By ILOVEBRODY in forum Can you help with these campaigns?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-01-2014, 14:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!