+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations.

Planning a wedding is so much fun and maybe a little stressful.

Regrets:

- I missed out on the cheese course we offered and people still tell me how amazing some of the cheeses were.
    - we didn't end up getting a whole group photo.
    - the gift registry we used turned out to be a real mess, terrible service. I wish I had done more research.

My favourite part of our day was having a place setting for us at multiple tables, we changed places between each course ( we had a 7 course degustation). It meant we got to sit and enjoy time with more of our guests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post

Regrets:
    - I missed out on the cheese course we offered and people still tell me how amazing some of the cheeses were.
    I had a prawn entree dish with rice that everyone talks about also but never got to taste it either

I have 2 regrets
    * spending so much on a wedding dress (just under $8000)

* having a videographer (my inlaws insisted on it cause my FIL was sick now no one wants to watch it) I never wanted it in the first place as I hate watching myself on tv - I'd rather invest the money on a good photographer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats!

Think about what YOU/DF want for the day, what things are not negotiable & what is.

I don't know if I have any regrets from our wedding - maybe more time spent talking to family & friends.

What I don't regret was:
    -getting a photographer (Ours was lovely & I love our photos)
    -having kids at the wedding. We had maybe 10 & they were beyond cute, playing with each other & running about & dancing! I still get asked about my "princess dress".
    -inviting who we wanted.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had spent more time getting photographs in between ceremony and reception. I only allowed an hour as I didn't want our guests waiting too long but they would have all been more than happy for another 30 mins or hour!

Best decision was to get a videographer to capture the day as it's such a blur. We watch it every anniversary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wish I enjoyed the day more and took it all in- it went so fast and before I knew it, it was over. It felt like I was in a dream, I didnt have time to absorb everything.

I wish I put my foot down with my step mum. My dad paid for the wedding, so she thought that meant she had free reign over everything and could behave however she wanted. She turned up to the ceremony blind rotten drunk and couldn't even stand by the end of it (it was a half hour ceremony!), then her behaviour only went downhill from there. She flashed my fil on purpose while my mil was right there (and let's just say underwear was not a necessity for her that day), she abused all our guests to the point every single one of them complained to us the next day. She made me cry by threatening to tell some very humiliating things in her speech. And she felt it appropriate to invite friends of hers that dh and I didnt even know, and expected us to cut friends of ours from the guest list so they could come. Oh and she constantly reminded me that the money dad paid for the wedding was supposed to pay for her new kitchen and how now she will have to put up with the old kitchen. Oh and the whole planning stage she kept telling me how much she hates my mum because she thinks my mum is in love with my dad and wants him back (wtf- they were never even in a relationship to begin with!)

Not getting photos of dh and I with our girls- got heaps of me and the girls before the ceremony but they left immediately after it was finished so there are no photos of the 4 of us

What I loved about the day:
    Seeing dh's face when he turned around and saw me- one of the only times I have ever seen him cry!
    When the celebrant got so emotional after our vows that she forgot the rings lol
    Having our families together for the first and last time
    Our first dance- it felt like we were the only ones in the room
    Our co-ordinator and her team did an amazing job and everything ran so smoothly
    For such a hectic day, overall it was such a calm and relaxing atmosphere
    Everyone commented on how amazing the food was (I wouldnt know, I didnt eat!).
    Not having young kids at the reception (we had our siblings who were late primary/early high school and 1 of my cousins who was late primary). We had a couple of friends with babies and they were welcome but the parents didnt end up bringing them.
    The fact we had the ceremony and reception at the resort we we staying at. Made it so much easier logistically, and guests got a discount which made it easy for the ones who travelled (which was most of them). Also meant we were all in one place the next day and were able to all get together and have a bbq and spend time relaxing.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 16-11-2014 at 09:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Spending so much on table centrepieces, it was the end of the night before I even took any notice.

$1000 not well spent.

Regret having DHs best man - were no longer friends.

Regret not dancing with my mum, in fact not really spending much time with her on the day at all after I left the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you change if you had your time again?
    Eloped, or had a smaller, causal and more intimate wedding. I'm still happy with how the day went though, it was beautiful. Maybe I wouldn't have fallen pregnant 3 months before the wedding either...

What tips do you have for young players?
    Start research now and if you find a vendor you love, book them ASAP. Good florists, photographers etc can book out months, even years in advance.

Have the wedding you want, don't bend to others expectations.

And last but not least what was your favourite moment (just for the 'awwwhs')
    Spending half an hour with the bridal party between photos and reception drinking, snacking and laughing. It was so casual and intimate, hence me thinking I should have had a smaller wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!!
    I loved our wedding. It was beautiful and fun. People genuinely had a great time.

Things I would change:
    -my photographer. We had a friend do the photos. I'm not 100% happy with them and feel that if is hired someone we would have gotten a better result.
    -I'd probably not buy my dress before getting engaged. It's a beautiful vintage gown that I love, but I think the style restricted us a bit in regards to the type if wedding we had. If I did it again I'd choose a completely different style and would have had a more relaxed style of wedding. It ended up getting really fancy and a bit out of hand.
    -I would probably choose different bridesmaids. I had my two sisters who live interstate and couldn't help at all with planning anything.

What I wouldn't change:
    -DH
    -kids at the wedding
    -going home the night of the wedding and sleeping in our own bed!
    -not spending money on things we didn't think we're important, like cars etc
    -doing a "first look" and photos before the ceremony

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mrs Snowman; 16-11-2014 at 10:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I really don't regret anything, we had a lovely day, I loved my dress, we didn't get into debt. And 12 years later we are still married and in love

Advice -
    Don't over extend yourself. It's one day. Life will go on if you get the $800 dress not the 5k one. I think couples concentrate on a good wedding being an expensive one. It often isn't.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Who cares if your shoes weren't the exact design you wanted or your flower arrangement includes 6 roses instead of the planned 8. You are there to marry the love of your life. When you simplify it to that, all the silly Bridezilla stuff becomes meaningless. I think brides often ruin the day for themselves by obsessing over silly things.

Either pay for all or most of your bridal party's expenses. They shouldn't have to be a grand in the red because you wanted designer dresses and suits. If you can't afford the designer outfits then follow earlier advice to not over extend yourself Ditch the gift to them and instead pay for their hair and make up (trust me most prefer the latter).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (16-11-2014),MsViking  (16-11-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I really don't regret anything, we had a lovely day, I loved my dress, we didn't get into debt. And 12 years later we are still married and in love

Advice -
    Don't over extend yourself. It's one day. Life will go on if you get the $800 dress not the 5k one. I think couples concentrate on a good wedding being an expensive one. It often isn't.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Who cares if your shoes weren't the exact design you wanted or your flower arrangement includes 6 roses instead of the planned 8. You are there to marry the love of your life. When you simplify it to that, all the silly Bridezilla stuff becomes meaningless. I think brides often ruin the day for themselves by obsessing over silly things.

Either pay for all or most of your bridal party's expenses. They shouldn't have to be a grand in the red because you wanted designer dresses and suits. If you can't afford the designer outfits then follow earlier advice to not over extend yourself Ditch the gift to them and instead pay for their hair and make up (trust me most prefer the latter).
    Brilliant advice.

Also, don't get bogged down on the *look* of the day. It is not a magazine shoot wedding, it is a real wedding with real people. Focus on giving your day a great, happy, relaxed, fun, loving mood. Remember marriage is a serious privileged but it can still be fun.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

delirium  (16-11-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast