+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Don't put any money on a dress until you've been dress shopping at least five times and you've looked at all the second hand dresses available unless you want to end up with an over priced dress you find wear and a second dress you love. Wedding gowns are like cars and the sales people are just as pushy.

...by the way if anyone wants to buy a wedding gown, never worn...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What would you change if you had your time again? I would hire a videographer. At the time we had already spent so much money that I didn't think it was necessary to film the day, but I really wish we had now having seen some of the videos from friends weddings.

What tips do you have for young players? Don't skimp on the quality of the food, and the quality of the photographer. Being a guest at many a wedding, I really hate being fed terrible food. Having had my own wedding, a fantastic photographer is worth his/her weight in gold.

And last but not least what was your favourite moment (just for the 'awwwhs') Once we had been officially 'married' and DH and I left the chapel, we had a moment where it was just the two of us outside on our own for a second, and DH said to me "I've never seen anyone more beautiful in my life, I could not be more in love with you if I tried" and for a man that doesn't make gooey/emotional sentiments almost ever, it just melted me completely!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

almai  (16-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only regret was not spending more time with hubby at the reception and getting some pics in our photo booth together!

An awww moment was hearing him say his vows and seeing him so nervous. Also finally being alone in our room and getting to call each other husband and wife

Congrats!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - Not getting a photo of the back of my dress (full train)
    - knowing more about photographers before I chose one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats I would have enjoyed the day a bit more, so worried about everything going perfect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I work in the photographic industry and a lot of people complain that they had wish they had spent more and gotten a better photographer. After all it's what you have left after the day is over to remember it by, its an investment.

My regrets were i rushed buying my wedding dress and didn't get honest opinions from my bridesmaids when trying it on. I should have gone to different stores and tried different styles on.

I don't have a lot of close girl friends so i chose some friends which now i wouldn't have chosen. I regret not having my SIL as my maid of honor and 2 other close girlfriends.

They were just minor things and didn't ruin our day or anything. We had an amazing day with our family and friends and that's all that matters.

Don't let people force you into doing something you don't want to

Congratulations on your engagement

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I regret our wedding photos, they were cheap, tacky and nothing like I wanted.

I regret not putting a dress code on the invitation.

I regret marrying XH lol.

Congratulations lovely, I wish you all the happiness in the world 💗

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats!

I regret not caring more about small things, things that only I see in the photos now (I had to cancel a hairdresser then re-book another one a few weeks before the wedding so we didn't do a trial so on the day I asked for a braid in the front but I probably could have done a better one myself, and I just went with the first veil I tried on & it didn't look as nice as I wanted in the photos). I wish I'd been a bit more of a bridezilla about those things, I know you're more of a pain but at least people go to a bit more effort to make sure you get what you want. So don't be afraid to dig your heels in & insist on something for fear someone might call you Bridezilla - it does pay off!

My favourite moment was looking at DH as I walked down the aisle towards him - he had this huge goofy grin on his face. Almost made up for the fact that I'd just spent 15mins sitting in the limo waiting for the rain to stop pouring down so I could get married & my train got all filthy & wet.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No regrets. Eloped and had a fantastic European holiday without all the pressure of having to organise the "perfect" day that I've observed and been roped in to helping so many of my friends organise for theirs. I'm sorry, I know that having a big white wedding is - to many, many women - the ideal. But for me I couldn't imagine anything worse and I'm so glad I followed my heart and instincts and did it in a way I was happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations on your engagement!

Regrets:
    - not listening to recommendations from friends for hair and makeup. I chose a different business and had so many stuff ups. As it was the girl who did my hair on the day wasn't the one who did the trial (but luckily did a way better job), the business owner said that the girls could be there at 8am at my photographers request, but didn't tell the girls doing hair/makeup so they didn't arrive until 9am which meant we were rushing for the photographers. Go by word of mouth. It's more valuable than online testimonials etc.

- getting ready at home. It was easier given my sister (maid of honour) her hubby and baby we're staying with me and my cousins (flower girl and page boy) stayed over, but DH got ready at the Stamford Plaza (reception venue) and his photos are amazing, so much that his photo is in one of the big bridal magazines currently. Ours were average. (Not the photographers at all, it was all location).

- not having any photo booth photos with DH. It would've been nice to have some silly ones. As it is, he didn't even get in the photo booth!!!

Not regrets but things I would maybe change:
    - I insisted on a string quartet for the ceremony (I'm a former violin player). By all accounts they were fantastic, but I have no recollection of them even playing. I was too focussed on trying to stop crying as I walked up the aisle! If I could do over I wouldn't bother and save the $500 and used the church organist instead (cost of church covered the organist).

Things I wouldn't change:
    - having kids in/at the wedding. We have some awesome photos of my 2 cousins mucking around during the formal photos and there are some sweet ones of them from the ceremony too. They were amazing kids on the day and partied hard at the reception.

As it was the wedding went off mostly without a hitch. The only real drama was our DJ played the wrong song for our first dance, so maybe don't choose an obscure song like I did (although I'd had it chosen since I was like 14).

Our reception was amazing, the food was awesome and I can't fault the staff at the Stamford at all. It was just a bigger/grander wedding than we had really wanted which also meant we spent a little more. It was faultless though, they pull off an amazing wedding.

Also be sure about your dress/dressmaker. I kept getting told not to loose weight intentionally as it all just falls off you closer to the wedding because of the stress etc. Didn't happen to me as I'm pretty cruisy and most things were organised. When I had my final fitting on the Wednesday they couldn't do the dress up because they'd obviously made it a touch smaller assuming I'd lose weight. It meant my day was stuffed around (lots happening, people to pick up from the airport etc) and they had to let out the seams a bit so I'd fit.