+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Drug free labour and tens machines

hi

It won't be long till bub arrives but am now starting to think about labour and feeling very anxious. I am hoping to go as drug free as possible. What's people's thoughts and experiences on tens machines? Do they really work? Any recommendations on a good one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump (I'm interested in knowing too!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a tens machine prior to and during my induced labour a month ago. Baby was posterior and it was a long drawn out labour ending in a ventouse delivery. Tens helped a lot. I ended up also having sterile water injections, morphine and gas, but I believe had I not been induced with a posterior baby, it would have been sufficient or nearly sufficient pain relief. If id not had the tens machine I think I'd probably have ended up with an epidural which I was dead set against at the time. I also used it for back and pelvic pain prior to labour, from 37weeks. I'd highly recommend it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was so skeptical of the TENS but found it amazing. First bub I had an epidural, second I had gas and Pethadine (and tens) but I only had the pethadine on the middies advice because although I thought I was coping with the pain ok, I was tensing up and fighting every contraction. That ended up being the best advice ever because I went from 2cm to 10cm in 45 mins after the shot. I still felt every bit of pain after the peth shot but the tens and gas was enough to get through, I think it was also a million times more pain to bear than my first also (which was a 19 hr labour) because I dilated in such a short space of time. Good luck!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had two drug free births using a TENS. I found it hugely effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used a TENS machine during my labour with Dd. She was posterior and I had really bad back labour pains. At the time I thought the TENS machine was useless and took it off but once it was off I realised it had been taking the edge off the contractions so back on it went. I ended up having a drug free labour. At different points I used heat packs, the tens, the shower and the bath.

If you're going to get a tens machine I'd recommend getting one that's been specifically designed for labour that has the boost button that you can press to turn them up as each contraction starts and then back down between contractions. I hired mine from the hospital's physio department.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used it for all 3 labours
    #1 I was contracting at home for 4 days before I was admitted to the hospital and it really got me through those days/nights
    #2 quick drug free labour
    #3 long posterior labour - I only took it off once I was getting the epidural for the csection.

Each time it was really good to use it as a distraction, I focused on the buzz rather than the contraction

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks ladies. I'm sold!! I found the Elle tens plus which has a boost button (thanks bettyV) and separate impulse channels so if the pain is more on one side I can focus on that side. It also has a contraction timer which I thought was handy. Plus it comes with a pain mode to use on injuries so it's useful for after birth and a pelvic floor probe to tighten those muscles which I'm sure I will need. Lol!! I get a good rebate back from my private health fund too donuts worth buying then hiring. Thanks ladies for your advice. I feel so much better knowing I may be epidural free. Willet you know how it goes. Argh! Not long now....