+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I have up putting DS to sleep where we were during the day as I just couldn't keep DD quiet enough so he's now in the basinette in our room and I have the baby monitor watching him and white noise on to block any noise happening out in the lounge.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have too much problem with my older two as they're a bit older and I can trust them to be reasonably gentle. How about a playpen to put baby in and keep toddler out?

I think I might have to think about the white noise thing though DS2 has started the occasional catnap and I think half the problem is DS1 and DD making so much noise. My DS sleeps in my bedroom, which is just off the living area/ kitchen, so I just sleep him in there with the door open so I can hear him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS sleeps in his cot in his own room. He was sleeping in a bassinet next to me at night but he started going to bed at 7/8pm and sleeping until 2/3am so I started just leaving him in his room for nights as well. Transferring him would often wake him and then he'd get grumpy. He's 4.5mo now and I had intended to follow the SIDS guidelines (same room as parent until 6mo) but this is working for us.

DS spends lots on time on the floor, DD talks to him and plays with him but she's very gentle. Obviously I don't leave them unsupervised but I don't really need to worry too much.

Do you think your DS is throwing things into the port-a-cot or pulling down the bassinet because he wants to get to the baby? Just wondering if it's a bit of a 'forbidden fruit' sort of thing. Is he gentle with her when you sit on the floor with them or is he a bit too rough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Ok Mummas where do you put your baby during the day? I want her (baby DD) in the same room as us but DS can tip over the bassinet. So I've currently got her in a portacot with her bouncer inside. DS is still chucking stuff in there and he also has the ability to tip the portacot (I swear I'm raising Hercules). I'm starting to fear that I will never be able to have her on the ground for tummy time etc! DS is 21 months.
    My DS is almost 22 months, DD is 10 weeks & have the same problem, he is so RUFF! she gets tummy time on us or on the play mat when DS naps & she's awake... But to be honest, I rather keep her safe (from her big brother) than stress about regular tummy time, she's really strong & has great neck control & enjoys the time she has on her tummy so the development will come, maybe just a bit slower.

For her naps she sleeps in a mini cot in our room :-) If DS is in a noisy mood I put white noise on, but most of the time she is ok, DH is home from work for 3 weeks from Wednesday so we'll be doing some serious sleep training to make sure we get her over the cat nap stage :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I don't have too much problem with my older two as they're a bit older and I can trust them to be reasonably gentle. How about a playpen to put baby in and keep toddler out?

I think I might have to think about the white noise thing though DS2 has started the occasional catnap and I think half the problem is DS1 and DD making so much noise. My DS sleeps in my bedroom, which is just off the living area/ kitchen, so I just sleep him in there with the door open so I can hear him.
    A playpen might be something I will have to consider. Although it's not much different to a portacot - depends if he can also tip or move the playpen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    DS sleeps in his cot in his own room. He was sleeping in a bassinet next to me at night but he started going to bed at 7/8pm and sleeping until 2/3am so I started just leaving him in his room for nights as well. Transferring him would often wake him and then he'd get grumpy. He's 4.5mo now and I had intended to follow the SIDS guidelines (same room as parent until 6mo) but this is working for us.

DS spends lots on time on the floor, DD talks to him and plays with him but she's very gentle. Obviously I don't leave them unsupervised but I don't really need to worry too much.

Do you think your DS is throwing things into the port-a-cot or pulling down the bassinet because he wants to get to the baby? Just wondering if it's a bit of a 'forbidden fruit' sort of thing. Is he gentle with her when you sit on the floor with them or is he a bit too rough?
    Yes he def wants to get to the baby. He is unfortunately too rough with her, poked her in the eye the other day and grabbed her foot & made her cry... We try to encourage him to 'pat' her gently and sit next to her to look at her. The portacot has been nice bc he can see her very well through it, but since he is so strong and rough and prone to sudden movements I'm not game enough to have them both on the floor! I am hoping he will be more calm by the time she is old enough to need to spend time on the floor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Yes he def wants to get to the baby. He is unfortunately too rough with her, poked her in the eye the other day and grabbed her foot & made her cry... We try to encourage him to 'pat' her gently and sit next to her to look at her. The portacot has been nice bc he can see her very well through it, but since he is so strong and rough and prone to sudden movements I'm not game enough to have them both on the floor! I am hoping he will be more calm by the time she is old enough to need to spend time on the floor.
    Your DS sounds exactly like mine! He has kicked DD in the head countless times, just cause he's in the way & needs to be with the baby all the time, and don't get me started on his obsession with her toes! It would be fine if he didn't pull them!! lol crazy kid! My health nurse said 'the most dangerous thing in your house is your toddler!' In our case it is so true!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh so agree on the toddler and baby thing. I just can't trust them left alone together anymore. I just try to take the toddler with me if I leave the room now. She almost 3 so a little older than some of your kids and not deliberately rough but just thinks she can get away with more than I would like. And always has to have their heads touching, wants me to bring her down so she can look at 'our baby'. She has wrapped a blanket that bub was lying on the floor on over the top of her, and trying to do that with the playgym thing bub ended up folded in between(just one of those crossbar ones she folded up and material folded up). She also fed her peanut butter when she was in the swing one day! And all these are after only a minute out of the room still constantly checking on them, I shudder to think what would happen with longer periods. The worst part is how hard it is to explain how wrong it is to do while the baby laughs at her! She just loves her big sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone got a toddler that is hitting... As in my DS (23 months) has started hitting me & also bub... It's been happening for a while but seems to be escalating, and is getting particularly bad when I am BFing DD, today he scared DD so much she was hysterical so I put him in his cot so I could feed her in peace... Then later on I was running his bath & had put DD in her cot & DS reached thru the bars and hit her, then when I came to see what was happening he did it again... A lot of it I think is for attention, and the other half is him being rougher than he realises but I'm at my wits end, I feel so sorry for DD who gets no tummy time or floor time at all really! Any ideas??

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you do when he hits?