+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Anyone else with a toddler and a newborn? Want to chat

Hi all,

I have a 2.5 year old DD and a 7 week old DS and I'm struggling big time.

Between DDs tantrums and crying over minuscule things every 5 minutes every single day and a newborn who suffers from wind and stomach issues and who isn't on any kind of predictable routine, it's not much fun.

It's boring to stay home, it's too hard to get two kids out of the house, who else is in the same boat? How do you manage it? Or are you like me and you just don't?

I did learn with DD that this too shall pass, so I get that, but being in the now is hard. I want to enjoy now but find it impossible.

Trying to get DS to settle is a nightmare with DD making so much noise and vying for my attention too..... And this is whole I still feed and / or rock him to sleep, I haven't even tried putting him down and patting him in his cot method of settling yet.... Le sigh!

I guess I'm just looking for other in the same situation to vent with me, this is a safe place to be heard, offer a suggestions of what may work for you. I know there's a lot of you other there.....

Oh and big hugs to all in the same boat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs. I'm in a similar boat. I have a 3yo DD and a 2.5 week DS. This was my first week without DH at home.

We did go out yesterday, just the three of us. I find DD goes stir crazy if we don't go. We went to one of those indoor play centres. DD is a runner, so I need to choose places where I can park close to where I need to go and where it's fenced/limited area to run.

I'm lucky that DS is still little and not really alert yet. He seems like a placid kid but I'm not really sure what he be like when he's a bit more alert.

DD is at childcare three days a week. As much as I love her and feel and for saying this, I really enjoy those days because DS and I just chill and go shopping, cafés etc.

I'm struggling with nap time, although more for DD. DS naps on me most of the time which is fine for 2.5 weeks. I got them both asleep on Monday, but yesterday she just wouldn't settle and sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as for getting her to leave, I bribe her with ice-cream, balloon etc. maybe not the best thing but I can try and get her without screaming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep this thread open! I have a 20 month old and a newborn due in 2 weeks. Ima gonna need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sub for later. I am going crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    3yo DD and 16wk DS over here. It's tough! We're also dealing with CMPI and now croup, so it's all just a bit stressful at the moment.

Daycare is my saviour, and I think DDs as well. She loves it there and gets lots of interaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! I have a three year old and due with #2 in 10 weeks. I'm scared!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I don't have much advice but I totally understand everything you've said! Dd1 is 3 in Feb and Dd2 is almost 11 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 is 4.5y, ds2 is 2.3y and ds3 is 3m. Early on I made tv my friend. Toddler proofed my yard and let them play outside while I was feeding. I embraced baby wearing and my older 2 cook with me a lot. It means it takes longer to get a meal ready but they are less likely to kill each other than if I do it alone. The baby gets fed while the older 2 are in the bath (I sit in the bathroom with them) and then is happy to chill while I dress the big boys and put them to bed.

There is nothing wrong with packing grumpy kids in the car occ and just driving to get them to sleep so you can get some peace and quiet.

The other thing that I now do that is not everyone's cup of tea is controlled cry. I had no choice, dh works 16 h days 7 days a week so sometimes the baby just has to cry while I get stuff done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll come back later but this is me

21 month old and a 6 week and it's awesome and horrible all rolled into one.

This morning we palmed off the big one to my parents for the day and it's bliss!!