+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Eggs… The edible kind

Hi all

Just wondering how closely everyone sticks to the food safety guides?

For reference of my asking this question, this morning I made myself hard boiled eggs on sourdough with a little mayo (not fresh - long-life store bought), and when I peeled and mushed up the eggs, the yolk was not 100% cooked. It was not runny by any means, just not thoroughly rock hard and that lighter yellow colour yolk tends to go when cooked to 100% hard. A little soft and mushy if anything.

I mixed it with my mayo and ate it anyway but OH was a little concerned. Realistically, my mum had four happy healthy kids and ate and drank what ever she wanted. The only thing she avoided was cigarettes and alcohol. (for the most part!)

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm only early in my first tri and will definitely be mindful of the lists of safe and unsafe foods (after all, they're there for a reason,) but how strict do I have to be? How strict are you?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Eggs… The edible kind

I think you've just got to do/eat what you're comfortable with. If you are going to worry/stress about something after you've eaten it then it's probably not worth it.

I was super strict in my first pregnancy but I'm not so much this time. Eggs are my downfall - I only like soft poached eggs and I'm having them this time but I avoid deli meats/soft cheese/soft serve etc.

Best of luck - the food thing can drive you bonkers!
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 15-11-2014 at 09:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Raw egg I avoid eg mayo and aioli. Only because a reputable local cafe accidentally have a bunch of people salmonella during my first pregnancy so I'm always careful.

I started off my second pregnancy avoiding runny eggs as well but towards the end my craving for poached eggs took over and I had them a couple of times at home.

Alcohol, store bought sushi, raw fish, cold deli meats, soft cheese I avoided.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never worried about eggs and ate them runny. Salmonella is the worry and it's not overly common, plus salmonella is not harmful to the bub like listeria can be (just makes you feel terrible!).

I avoided products that could have listeria (deli meats unless hot/soft cheese etc) raw and cold cooked seafood, and undercooked red meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not in my first tri (mostly because I couldn't stomach it) but in my second and third I had runny fried eggs. I followed most things pretty closely and when I made the eggs with a slightly runny yolk I wasn't thinking. It wasn't until afterwards that I realised what I had done. I wasn't sick and DS is a happy and healthy almost 6 month old. So after that every now and then (once a month maybe?) I had fried egg that had a slightly firm slightly runny yolk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate eggs all the way through my pregnancy...relatively soft yolks. No problems here.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Like others, I ate runny eggs during pregnancy and had no problems. It's a personal choice, as someone said it's the risk of salmonella and I've never gotten salmonella in my life so I was willing to take that risk. Statistically speaking, bub is more than likely going to be fine but if you feel better and OH feels better with you not eating runny eggs then stay away from them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Also, I was coming from the experience of doing everything "right" in a pregnancy and having it not work out while watching people who smoke and drank during no pregnancy have healthy babies so I had a bit of a "what will be will be" attitude. I took my pre-natal vitamins and enjoyed my runny eggs while staying away from the ciggies and booze!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I actually have a pregnancy cookbook that has poached eggs in it. My understanding is your eggs can be runny as long as the white is completely cooked and the yolk has gotten hot enough, so poached medium is a good way to accomplish this, the yolk comes out runny in the middle and hard along the edge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have always followed the guidelines at the time. Over 20 years they have changed to include a lot more b on the no no list. So for first pregnancies I eat deli meat with the last 2 I didn't as that was added to the list.

You need to do what's right for you and your bub. The only one who can make that decision is you.