+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mothers who have survived cancer

I am just wondering who has fought cancer and is now a mother or about to become a mother? What is pregnancy like post chemo?

I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011 at the age of 20.
    I had 2 surgeries to remove an ovary and a tumor and 3 months of BEP chemo.
    I am now 23 and have been cancer free for 3, nearly 4 years. 22-11-11 was my very last day of chemo.
    *cheer*

Anyway.. It hit me today while I was lying down unable to get up and make my grandmother in law a cake for her birthday that it is probably going to be extremely hard for me to look after my children.
    And I got really worried.

I got married in August and my husband and I are going to start TTC in December.

I haven't been able to work since before chemo and my husband supports me.

Has anyone else survived cancer and is a mother?
    Do you suffer from fatigue and if so, can you fight through it for your little ones?
    How many do you have/want to have?
    We want 6 but my husband and I have decided we will have 2 and see how we go.
    Last edited by mrsthomo; 14-11-2014 at 23:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, firstly I just want to say what a brave young lady you are and what a tough journey you have been on, and congratulations for being cancer free! I am probably not able to offer you much advice but I can share my story. I too have been through cancer, although I had already had my daughter(who was Ivf) who was 2 when I was diagnosed. My whole world crashed in august of 2012 when I was told I had a cancerous tumour in my shoulder. I had to have all of my shoulder and half of my collar bone removed and now have an arm that is not much use (I can still use it a small amount but cannot lift anything or have much range of movement ). The most devastating thing for me was not being able to lift my 2 yr old daughter anymore . I am very lucky in the fact that I didn't have to have chemo or radiation treatment. As time has gone on it certainly hasn't gotten any easier as I have limits on what I can and cannot do but i just get on with it and realise that I am lucky to be alive. What I am trying to say is you have been through an awful lot and I'm sure that when you do have a beautiful baby you will just do what you can to make it work , yes there will be days when it gets all too much but with some support you will be just fine. All the best xxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pisces75 For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (14-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will come back to this thread and reply properly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (14-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Pisces75
    Thank you for sharing!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your shoulder/arm, I can't imagine what that would be like.
    Thank you so much for your kind words, they truly warmed my heart.
    All the best to you too. xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mrsthomo
    I did a search for posts about cancer and I found yours, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of 2012 when I was 26. I did the lumpectomy, chemo and radiation route. I've been cancer clear since October 2013. I was doing endocrine therapy since July 2013 to reduce my risk of cancer coming back but my wonderful surgeon asked me to be the first Australian participant in a new fertility trial for young women after BC. I stopped my hormone therapies and am now waiting until the 13th June when my husband and I can start TTC.
    We're so excited to be given this opportunity as i was meant to be on these drugs for another 3 years and you aren't allowed to get pregnant while on them.
    They hope it will be possible for it to happen naturally but if not we may be offered fertility assistance (they tried to take eggs for embryos before I started chemo but couldn't get any 😦).
    I'd love to hear how you're going in your attempts.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirboxx For This Useful Post:

J37  (25-05-2015),mrsthomo  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kirboxx,
    Thank you for your reply! Congratulations, it's wonderful that you've been given this opportunity!
    I'm sorry that you had to go through chemo though.

My attempts.. don't seem to be working to be honest. I don't think that is due to the fact I had chemo though. I am most definitely ovulating (I was having an ultrasound around the time of ovulation on two occasions!)
    I think it's our timing. We will be doing the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) this month. I'm on cycle day 4 and determined!

When I was thinking about TTC I didn't think there would be an issue. I remember when I got my period after chemo. I ran to my husband and cried. Everything was going to be okay, we would be parents!
    This is our 6th cycle actively trying and 9th cycle not preventing.

I was lucky enough to have 7 embryos collected before I started my chemo and our health fund covers IVF. We will talk to our fertility doctor in August (our anniversary is on the 16th) if I'm not pregnant by then.

I hope to hear back from you!
    I hope you get pregnant naturally, I recommend temping daily starting tomorrow (if you can) at the same time every day! And just keeping note of your cycle this month.

I wish you the very best of luck and the stickiest of baby dust.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsthomo For This Useful Post:

J37  (25-05-2015),Kirboxx  (26-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with breast cancer late in January, and I am currently having weekly chemotherapy. I will be having surgery in July, then daily radiotherapy for 6 weeks.
    I have a 1-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy.
    So, I may be able to answer part of your question.
    As you would well know, chemotherapy leaves you severely nauseated, vomiting and incredibly tired. Exhausted, in fact.
    So...how do I manage the kids? (My hubby is away alot for work). Firstly, enlist as much help as you can (family, friends). Sometimes I find it hard to accept help, as I don't want to become a pain in the butt, but...you really have to. If you can afford a few days a week of childcare, this is a good way to get some rest.
    If I am really exhausted, or spewing, I lie on the couch while the kids play together in the lounge room. I make sure they have lots to play with, and plenty of "self-serve" snacks.
    I try to get them into bed early, if hubby is away. I send them both to bed with milk, so in a way, a "bribe"

I know your situation is different, and ovarian and breast cancers are different, but I hope some of this is helpful.

And well done...you've already done the hard part...you have endured the horrendous treatment process, and survived cancer!!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (25-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi J37,
    I'm sorry you're going through the hell that is chemo right now. It promise that it gets better.
    Don't be afraid to complain. They can't help you if they don't know what's wrong. And don't be afraid of TMI! They've heard it all!

I am blown away by the fact that you're looking after two kids under 5 while going through all of that. *hugs*
    That definitely gives me hope!

Thank you for all the advice. I definitely have a great support network. I live on a large property with my husband's mum, dad, 3 sisters and his grandparents. (3 houses)
    If I ever need any help, I should be able to just shout out my window. Lol

I do agree with you though, I hate being a bother. Even though I know they don't mind. ♡

Thank you again for your kind words!
    I wish you all the very best and of course a smooth recovery!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsthomo For This Useful Post:

J37  (25-05-2015)