+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Chia pods/seeds - yay or nay?

Just after feedback and experiences of people who have eaten chia pods/seeds? Supposedly they are low calorie and can be added to foods like yoghurt and smoothies to thicken so it fills you up more (particularly for the 5:2 fasting diet ladies).

Do they taste good/at all? Do they actually fill you up more? Any feedback would be appreciated! TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not ready to write off chia, but I did try one of those Chia Pods a while ago and it was pretty awful!

I would like to try it again though, but next time I'll make something myself using a recipe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have the seeds and sprinkle them on my breakfast, youghurts and put them in smoothies. I haven't tried the Chia Pods, but might not after [Mod] Degrassi's review of them, so it's good to have that feedback before I bother to buy any.

I don't think the seeds have a taste really, it's more a texture, as they swell into little gelatinous type things, so I find them quite tasteless. As for filling me up, I don't think so, but I have them more for the healthy aspect of them as opposed to the weight loss side of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use the seeds in everything! I add them to muffins, cereal, pasta, pancakes, even biscuits when I bake them. I don't taste them at all, and the kids don't even notice them so I see it as a quick and painless way to up the nutritional value of food. I even add them on to fairy bread! I tell the kids they're 'black sprinkles' and they happily eat their black sprinkle fairy bread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought I would try a chia pods to see if I like them and I thought it was gross. A really weird texture. I do use chia seeds in baking and stuff though. Like in my home made bread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I use the seeds in everything! I add them to muffins, cereal, pasta, pancakes, even biscuits when I bake them. I don't taste them at all, and the kids don't even notice them so I see it as a quick and painless way to up the nutritional value of food. I even add them on to fairy bread! I tell the kids they're 'black sprinkles' and they happily eat their black sprinkle fairy bread.
    Love the 'black sprinkles', brilliant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use chia seeds a lot too. I put them in almost everything I bake, into muesli bars, bliss balls, even scrambled eggs :-) they have no taste, and a tiny crunch when they're raw. They have a thick egg white consistency when they've been soaked in a liquid.
    The chia pods are a bit bland and I struggled with the texture. Just look up a recipe for a chia pudding and you can make your own at home for ALOT less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I add them to everything too. Sweet and savoury, cooked and raw. I've never bought one of the pods but have made 'chia pudding' (primarily for my little one) with vanilla and coconut milk and it was nice, similar to tapioca pudding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I eat the Chia Pod things. My favourite is the Vanilla one. I get one every time I go shopping. I love them . They taste fine to me....but I have cut out added sugar so things taste sweet to me that don't to others e.g DP.

I also make my own with coconut cream, chia seeds, vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love chia seeds, I haven't tried the pods but have just started making my own chia seed puddings for breakfast and love it!
    So simple to do I just use 3 tbsp of a mix of black and white chia seeds, 3/4 C coconut milk, 3/4 C frozen berries a sprinkle of cinammon and some vanilla paste (I don't have any essence left) mix it up at night and pop in the fridge. I'm not going to lie it looks a little strange but I am really enjoying it as a change from my smoothie.
    I put chia in pretty much everything and find it more filling. My chia pud for breakfast is far more filling than my smoothie or anything like toast etc - about the same as having a couple of poached eggs for breakfast it will keep me going for a few hours.
    I don't find them to have any taste what so ever but I did find the texture unusual initially so built it up in my recipes in slow doses.
    Just be mindful of how much they swell in liquid when using in cooking (on a side note I recently read an news article where a guy had a spoon of chia seeds and proceeded to drink water - yeah he almost suffocated, medical team struggled to dislodge the ball of seeds that swelled in his throat)