+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think I've made my decision. I'm going to stop breastfeeding. I'm not going to do it immediately, I'll just sit on the decision for a few days and see how I feel.

After looking at all the pros and cons I do think that it is the best thing for us. DS is taking the bottle happily and has been much more settled since we started the comp feeds. I think I will cope better without the uncertainty and stress that comes with breastfeeding for me. The constant worry about his weight has put so much pressure on the breastfeeding relationship and it's a bit of a losing battle.

I want to enjoy being his mum and not spend all my energy focusing on feeding. I want him to have a full tummy and feel well without anything I'm eating upsetting him. On the selfish side of it, I want my body back and I want to be able to eat without scrutinizing labels or menus for traces of dairy.

It's such a difficult decision, I know I'm going to doubt myself and cry a lot!

BUT - I'm trying to focus on the 4+ months of breastfeeding he did get rather than worry about the months he didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I think I've made my decision. I'm going to stop breastfeeding. I'm not going to do it immediately, I'll just sit on the decision for a few days and see how I feel.

After looking at all the pros and cons I do think that it is the best thing for us. DS is taking the bottle happily and has been much more settled since we started the comp feeds. I think I will cope better without the uncertainty and stress that comes with breastfeeding for me. The constant worry about his weight has put so much pressure on the breastfeeding relationship and it's a bit of a losing battle.

I want to enjoy being his mum and not spend all my energy focusing on feeding. I want him to have a full tummy and feel well without anything I'm eating upsetting him. On the selfish side of it, I want my body back and I want to be able to eat without scrutinizing labels or menus for traces of dairy.

It's such a difficult decision, I know I'm going to doubt myself and cry a lot!

BUT - I'm trying to focus on the 4+ months of breastfeeding he did get rather than worry about the months he didn't.
    That sounds like a great resolution for you and your bub. Don't feel bad or regret the decision once you do move on - focus on those positives you mentioned, you're a great mum no matter what you choose to do!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Cue  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    For me it sounds like you're making the right choice. Trying to eat an elimination diet for CMPI is bad enough but trying to do it while also coping with PND is so rough. Now is a time to be kind to yourself, bub will not be harmed by drinking formula and in fact will probably do better since he won't get any accidental CMP that might come through your milk. You've given him four months of booby milk, it is not selfish to give it up now, as I said you need to be kind to yourself.

I'd write more but I'm literally falling asleep as I type!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is so much more settled with the comp feeds. I almost miss him now that I'm not spending ages holding and settling him and he's sleeping more!

I will be getting him weighed in a few days at the LCs clinic, so I'm hoping to see a good weight gain. If he has gained well, I'll know the formula comps are working and that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding Decision

Just a bit of an update - DS was weighed a few days ago and he put on almost 400g in about 10 days!! In the 3 weeks prior he had dropped down to an average of about 80g per week so that was a big jump for him. Obviously he needed those comp feeds.

I haven't started properly weaning him yet, I'm still doing 2 comps per day and he's taking about 100ml after a breastfeed (second and last feeds of the day). I also only offer the comps at home, I haven't started taking bottles out with me yet so just BF when out.

He's much more settled, is having longer day sleeps and even slept through the night twice! No more mucousy poo. So I think it's pretty obvious that the AllerPro formula is what he needs. I know I could keep mix feeding if I wanted to but I am at the point where I'll never fully trust that he's getting enough when breastfeeding, or that something I'm eating isn't going to cause him problems.

I'm happy that I have managed to give him breastmilk for this long, it'll probably be at least 5 months by the time I stop. So I reckon that's pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bravo... Well done you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well done, I hope you're proud of yourself, you're doing such a great job!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    You've done an amazing job and you should be proud xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Feeding Decision

5 months will be a damn good effort. Amazing effort.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I'm going to start properly weaning DS today. I have mixed feelings, I'm sad but also relieved. I suspect he's reacting to soy in my diet and going completely soy-free as well as dairy-free is just too much. I'm glad I gave myself a couple of weeks to get used to the idea rather than weaning before I was ready.

Looking forward to a cheese platter on Christmas Day!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-12-2014),delirium  (13-12-2014)