+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I basically fell apart today. DH had to come home from work, I was crying and couldn't stop. DS has really struggled to sleep for a few days now and I am absolutely exhausted. DH insisted we give DS a full feed of formula and see what happens - and DS slept for 1.5hrs! DH then gave him another bottle and his next nap was just over 3hrs!! Not only that, but he also self settled for his sleeps, even when he went down for the night which usually takes ages.

My SIL took me out for lunch so I could have a break, it probably helped DS to settle without my stress & anxiety around. I felt much better when I got back.

I called the LC and we discussed what I should do now. She said BFing isn't worth putting myself under pressure or making me so stressed that I don't enjoy my baby. She said I have done really well to get this far so should focus on what I have achieved rather than feel bad about stopping if that's what I decide to do. We agreed that I would offer more frequent comp feeds and see if it helps settle him. It's so frustrating because I feel like my supply is good (I pumped 180ml when he had a bottle feed) but he's just not gaining much weight or sleeping that well. His weight gain has slowed even more so we do need to address it.

Argh - this is so hard! I feel so sad thinking about not breastfeeding anymore but I want DS to be happy and healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think this is such a personal and often really difficult decision to make regardless of how old your child is. The emotions are really complex and you can feel torn a million different ways that differ depending on the day!

I just want to tell you that you are an amazing mother and if he will sleep better and gain well on formula then that can be best.

Thinking of you xx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (27-11-2014),Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you do continue with bf, look up paleo recipes. True paleo is dairy free and contain very clean ingredients so I don't think you'd have any issues with milk solids / traces of dairy.

Good luck with whatever you decide, as long as you and bub are happy and healthy, the way he feeds doesn't matter!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What ever you decide don't be too hard on yourself just focus on the fact that you have successfully B/F your baby for 4 months. An amazing achievement well done. You should feel proud of yourself and not beat yourself up over your decision.

The following link has some information about weight gain in breast fed babies, it may be helpful to you
    https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/whochart.html

good luck with it all, I know how hard it can be when they don't sleep that much my Dd 1 did not sleep longer than 2 hours until she was 16 months old. Ironically she is a teenager now and it is hard to get her out of bed on the weekend she would sleep most of the day if we let her lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cut yourself some slack, you have done so well & whatever you decide try and do it with a rational mind, I know that's easier said than done! Just focus on moving forward whatever that may be X

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

Argh - this is so hard! I feel so sad thinking about not breastfeeding anymore but I want DS to be happy and healthy.
    You don't have to stop BF'ing completely. Couldn't you mix feed?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only just read this thread and I have to say I'm so impressed at your dedication to your bub! No matter what you choose to do I hope your stress levels will reduce

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strawberry Blonde For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You've done an amazing job. Why not just comp feed as you say? He's still getting your milk. I've already decided that's what I'm going to be doing with this bub; EBM and formula. There is zero shame in that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Oh hun, I've been where you are. DS didn't have CMPI but he did get to a point of Failure To Thrive and I know the stress of constantly weighing and worrying and wanting them to put on weight. Doing all that with PND and diet restrictions...my hat goes off to you. It is okay to give him formula, it is okay to mix feed, it is okay to keep breastfeeding.

Has he been checked for a tongue or upper lip tie? If your supply is fine then maybe he's not transferring the milk well enough. Although you said you have an LC so that's probably been checked.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs. You're being too hard on yourself. You've done a amazing job. Remember that as long as bub is happy and you're happy that's all that matters. You've given him a great start. ... But you don't want to make it so hard on yourself. Formula is there for us mums who need it. And your baby just needs your love and attention and cuddles. .. You can give them whether you're breastfeeding or bottle feeding. Take care of yourself. Hugs.
    Last edited by Tamtam; 27-11-2014 at 08:30.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Cue  (27-11-2014)