+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Forgive my ignorance, and a bit off topic, I know cmpi is cow's milk protein intolerance, but that's about all I know about it. How was it diagnosed, why was it looked for in the first place? Honestly just not sure, seen it talked about on BH before but wasn't sure about it further.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Cue, if it were me and feeding every two hours, I think the diet on top of that would do my head in. My bub is FF and feeds every 3-4 hours, and sometimes I can't even manage to make myself a healthy lunch if he's being a bit fussy. I just can't imagine having to make a specific diet work and feeding so regularly.

Of course the decision is yours but please don't feel guilty if you decide to FF. You need to do what is going to work best for you given the circumstances. If you're already suffering from mild PND, this might be the thing that pushes you too far. You need to consider what you can manage without pushing your stress/anxiety to the next level. All your baby cares about is a full tummy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Cue  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I think you need to do what is right for you and your baby - formula doesn't equal selfish and breastfeeding doesn't equal selfless. It's just feeding. Personally, I would trial the restricted diet for one month and then if I was over it, I'd switch to formula.
    You're right, it's not about being selfish/selfless. The plan I discussed with my psych was to do the restricted diet for 2 weeks and see how I go. When I went through this with DD it was impossible, I was mentally a wreck and ended up basically starving myself. I'm a bit more mentally 'together' this time and can manage the diet better, but it's still hard.

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    Is he thriving? Are you both happy to continue to feed despite the restrictive diet? In the months and years to come are the benefits of continuing to BF going to make that much of a difference to his or your health and wellbeing (including mental health)?
    No he's not thriving, that's the biggest concern for me. He's not losing weight and he's not unhealthy, but he doesn't have much fat on him at all. His length and head circumference are tracking well but he's not getting/absorbing enough to also gain weight. The paed said it's not an urgent situation or anything like that but we should address it now before it does become a problem. You're other questions are what I'm struggling with.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What do YOU want to do? If you do want to keep going, set short term goals for the restricted diet as Kitty said. If you don't, give yourself a pat on the back for getting this far, don't feel guilt and switch.

Formula isn't the end of the world.
    I don't think it's guilt so much as disappointment and frustration. I just dont know what I want to do, ideally I want to BF but I don't know if I want to do it under these circumstances. My priority has to be DSs health.

Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    Why don't you see an LC and try those supplemental feeds where you have a bottle of formula around your neck and a thin tube that runs down to your nipple.
    The baby suckles and gets BM and formula.

That way you get the best of both worlds.
    I'm seeing a good LC. I don't want to use an SNS, I don't think it will necessarily help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Ask yourself what feels good food you and your family. Forget about other people and what they did or what expectations you put on yourself.
    I stopped giving my dd breastfeeds/ebm for a variety of reasons. .surgery... Feeding difficulties plus cmpi dx at 4 months old. I felt pressure on myself to keep doing ebm and pumping but it was exhausting. We switched to allerpro after failed attempts at pepti junior and elecare etc. Long story.
    But what I'm saying is I can understand a bit of the wrestling in your mind that you are going through. In the end I weaned her over after a few months and we just finished up.
    YOU need to do what YOU feel good about and what works best food you. Forget about outside pressures. Good luck!
    Allerpro is the formula we've started giving as an afternoon comp. Thankfully he just started taking a bottle, when we first started offering it he would just cry and refuse the bottle (which made me feel so much worse for offering it!!). How is your bub going on AllerPro? Are they tolerating it OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, and a bit off topic, I know cmpi is cow's milk protein intolerance, but that's about all I know about it. How was it diagnosed, why was it looked for in the first place? Honestly just not sure, seen it talked about on BH before but wasn't sure about it further.
    There's no definitive test for it, it's more based on a range of symptoms. In DS those symptoms are mucousy poo, poor weight gain, poor sleep and his stool samples showed red & white cells which suggest inflammation in the bowel. Also, my DD had CMPI as a baby. So with DS we were looking for it from the start. With DD it was diagnosed at 3 months by a paed at the childrens hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat74 View Post
    @Cue, if it were me and feeding every two hours, I think the diet on top of that would do my head in. My bub is FF and feeds every 3-4 hours, and sometimes I can't even manage to make myself a healthy lunch if he's being a bit fussy. I just can't imagine having to make a specific diet work and feeding so regularly.

Of course the decision is yours but please don't feel guilty if you decide to FF. You need to do what is going to work best for you given the circumstances. If you're already suffering from mild PND, this might be the thing that pushes you too far. You need to consider what you can manage without pushing your stress/anxiety to the next level. All your baby cares about is a full tummy.
    Yeah it is logistically more difficult, even more so because I have a 3yo to look after as well. It takes some time to work out what I can/can't eat and for it to get easy. I agree that I need to be mindful of the PND and the pressure I put on myself.

Thanks everyone for your posts, I will need to make a decision soon and commit to it either way. It's just so frustrating that I can't just BF like a normal person and have a happy thriving baby.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (14-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Cue my daughter tolerated allerpro better than any other formula. Though it's really only for mild cmpi I'm told. DD is nearly 2 and has been off allerpro for nearly a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm almost a week in to the dairy-free diet and it hasn't been too bad. I find lunch the hardest, today I had a bread roll and an apple - not great! I just need to get better at cooking dairy-free meals and knowing the alternatives. I'm actually feeling fairly positive about it at the moment, especially now that DS is taking a small comp feed in the afternoons which is making me feel better about his food intake. It also means he's getting used to the occasional bottle which gives me some freedom.

He'll be 4 months old next week, I can't believe I got this far!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Cat74  (18-11-2014),misskittyfantastico  (17-11-2014),smallpotatoes  (17-11-2014),Tamtam  (17-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good for you @Cue! You're doing an amazing job as a mummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is awesome you're doing such an amazing job. I have a heap of dairy free friends and one of which is BF so I'll ask her where she gets her recipes from!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great that he's taking a bottle ok now, at least you know if you have to switch to formula full time he'll be fine.
    I'd probably do the same thing you're doing, see how you go with the diet and if it's not working, switch to the bottle. Don't feel guilty. At the end of the day your baby is getting fed and that's all that matters. Just give it your best shot and see how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 weeks into the dairy-free diet and it hasn't been too bad. My dinner repertoire isn't as extensive but I'm managing ok. I think it has made a difference, there's a lot less mucous in DSs poop. His sleep hasn't improved but he's also been sick.

I'm still unsure what I'm going to do long term. I am very up and down with it, some days I feel like I can continue BF and other days I really question it, especially days when DS is unsettled.

I wish someone could decide for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done :-) all you can do is take it one day at a time... I'm not sure I could live with such a restricted diet, you are doing so well!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Cue  (26-11-2014)