+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 5yo and reading

Hi guys! I'm hoping someone out there might be able to offer some advice. My DD is 5 (and a half) and is in her first year of school. She is having some issues reading and I just don't know where to begin.

The teachers are constantly sending home little post it notes on her reading books and sight word folder saying she needs to "be up to speed" but can't offer any advice on how to do so. When I approach them, it's just "oh just practice more".

We practice most nights and sometimes she's absolutely fine and others she just cannot get it... I don't know why? It's like she just forgets how to read some days.

Today she didn't want to go to school because it's her reading test day and she just think she can't do it it's breaking my heart.

So I'm hoping there are some fun ways to help her understand but also learn to love reading. At the moment we do her school books, her sight words and "fun" reading at night, so she picks her book and we read together.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look into a program called reading eggs. We swear by it here. It's fun for the kids so they want to do it. Our sons reading has improved so much whilst doing this program.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (13-11-2014),BH-KatiesMum  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the funny thing, she does reading eggs and does really well at it, has a good time, moves through the levels quickly. But it's something about books that seems to throw her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Anjalee!

Your poor DD that sounds really rough. I may be able to offer a few ideas as I'm a trained reading recovery teacher.

How is her sound recognition? Is she able to sound words out and blend sounds together? Remembering sight words can be tricky. I teach children that they are words we just have to remember by looking at them.

Make learning sight words more fun for her by searching for them in her home readers. Eg if the word she needs to know is 'you' get her to find it on the page and put in in her "window fingers" by framing it with her index fingers. Then go back through the book and ask her what that tricky word was. Get her a mini whiteboard and get her to write the word then rub it out several times.

You can make flash cards and those kinds of things as well. If you need any more ideas or help please feel free to PM me xxx

Raising our three boys to be beautiful young men because the world needs more good men

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her sound recognition is pretty good, she stumbles occasionally but with a bit of prompting she normally figures it out.

I like the idea of searching for sight words in her home readers she'd also definitely get a kick out of a whiteboard haha

Thanks heaps guys for your suggestions It's just starting to really shake her confidence which breaks my heart, so I've been scared to push too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor little possum. You might find that she is late to take off. Lots of littlies get into Year 1 and it suddenly clicks. Hopefully it will for her as well 😊

Raising our three boys to be beautiful young men because the world needs more good men

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and you can extend that searching for sight words beyond her home readers.. When you read her a story say "Hey I can see that tricky word we were looking at before. Can you find it?" Makes them feel very clever 👍