+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    I'd tread carefully before doing any testing. What if it turned out that you son is your genetic offspring, but your (or father of baby's) parents or grandparents are not who you think they are? Is that something you would want to know?
    I hadn't thought of that fact. Personally, I think I'd still want to know because I'd rather know the truth than live the rest of my life wondering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I had your concern I'd probably go ahead and do the testing.
    I'm sure the result will come back as your baby being from you.

So that will settle this little voice in your head.

TBH if DS was from IVF I would wonder the same. I can see nothing in me in him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Queen View Post
    I hadn't thought of that fact. Personally, I think I'd still want to know because I'd rather know the truth than live the rest of my life wondering.
    I wouldn't have thought about it until I read this story a few months ago

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/9/5975653/...ivorce-23andme

The case of the OP is a little different because a parentage test would only show probability of sample a (dad) and sample b (mum) being parents of sample c (son). But even confirmation that he is genetically your son could raise more questions about your own family tree/heritage. Although that said, if you only tested the parentage of your son, then your own family tree could remain as you believe it to be if you are content to leave it at that and do no more testing/ask questions.
    Last edited by clbj; 19-11-2014 at 18:55.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 23andme.com

Hi there

One solution might be 23andme. You can see genetic roots of bubs or yourself without unlocking close relatives. That might be a way of answering questions without doing an actual DNA relative test.

I have had 23andme testing and I am willing to share my results and more details with you so you know what you will see. It's only $99.

PM me if you want to see and I can send you screen dumps of the results.

x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharlie For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (03-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
    Hi there

One solution might be 23andme. You can see genetic roots of bubs or yourself without unlocking close relatives. That might be a way of answering questions without doing an actual DNA relative test.

I have had 23andme testing and I am willing to share my results and more details with you so you know what you will see. It's only $99.

PM me if you want to see and I can send you screen dumps of the results.

x
    I read a story recently where the guy did that and found out his Dad had another child. A side effect of ticking a box saying you could look up extended family.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know what I would do in your shoes. I have an IVF baby but there's no questioning he's mine, we look identically. I don't think I would do it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know what I'd do but if it's constantly on your mind and you can't move past the thoughts then maybe it's worth doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would/will totally ask for a DNA test at some point to know if my child is genetically mine/dh's. I wouldn't even specifically wait to see if the baby didn't look like me, just meaning I would take an earlier opportunity to test if it arises. Not exactly sure how you instigate a test like this though. No baby for me yet so will check it out if the time comes. I know it wouldn't change much but it would be interesting and would prevent the clinic from mixing things up in future.

Also, just thought I would say in science we learned that two blue eyed people can't genetically have a brown eyed child. OP, if both you and DH both have blue and baby has brown, I would Google this for more info. Otherwise, if you one or both of you are both blond but with, grey, green or brown eyes and baby is olive skin with brown eyes, not too much to worry about I don't think.