+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 1/2 constantly cutting in between adults conversation.

Last edited by Dreamscapezd; 31-12-2015 at 23:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ummmm may I sub? My DD who is the same age is doing this also!!! Would love some tips. My DD does it while I'm on the phone to😫

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I really have no expertise on this but maybe he keeps doing it because you indulge him and stop the conversation to hear him. Could you not ignore him but tell him someone else is speaking and to wait his turn. If he keeps going maybe just disregard what he's saying and repeat that it's not his turn. When he waits his turn then thank him for waiting and tell him he was very polite and you liked it a lot. Then act extremely interested in what he's told you to encourage his patience. It might take time to get him to understand though.

Sorry I'm useless at things like this. If my advice sucks then just ignore me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't want this to sound mean so pls don't misunderstand...

But to me it sounds like he's lonely and he wants attention & to be the centre of attention.

Do you spend lots of time with him one on one, just mucking around and doing kid stuff?

That's the only thing I can think of, again pls don't take it wrong, I just think of how I used to behave with my mum when I wanted her to be with me more.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Ummmm may I sub? My DD who is the same age is doing this also!!! Would love some tips. My DD does it while I'm on the phone to😫
    My DS is 15 and still does this.. as soon as I take a call or make a call he is like a magnet and its always "very important" he has been doing it his whole life

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tell my kids that they have to say "excuse me" and then wait. Often they get the "excuse me" bit and think that's the go-ahead for blabbering on to me. So I have to emphasise the 'wait' bit.
    But yes it is a constant challenge. IMO though you should never just let him talk to get it over with; that's teaching him the wrong thing. If my kids continue to try and talk after I ignore them, sometimes I will put my hand up to them to gesture 'stop', and if they get really really loud and whiny I will say excuse me to the person, then tell my child in a firm voice that I am talking and that they have to say "excuse me" and then wait. That usually works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started doing this too a while ago and only just getting it now, I just emphasize that she has to wait but on top of that I don't ignore her, so if I'm in the middle of a conversation and she calls me I just say 'im still talking to so n so can you wait a bit' and I always make sure than soon after I go back and say 'what did you wanna tell me sweety'.. that way she doesn't think I'm just brushing her off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You could try the touch system. Where instead of talking get he puts his hand on your arm and has to wait for you ask him what is what he wants. It takes a lot of practice and isn't a quick fix.
    Every time he does it you gentle remind him that if he want your attention that he has to put his on your arm and wait quietly for you to answer. At first make the wait short and increase the wait time slowly over a month or two.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (13-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my absolute pet hate! My Mum always told us to say excuse me once and then wait until she was finished her conversation. I do the same with my DS. When he does try to interrupt I remind him to say excuse me and wait until I come back to him. I have one friend who would always cut the conversation to listen to her kids (who would constantly interrupt) and it drove me nuts!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Tell him he has to say excuse me and wait patiently for you to finish to talk to him.

I started DS1 saying excuse me to people when he was very young. If he forgets I just remind him that it is rude to interrupt people and he will get his turn to speak later.

"Insert witty signature here"