+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cooking from scatch

Ok, I will admit I have gotten lazy in the last few years but I need to start cooking from scratch again. Baking i can handle but it's more the odd little things like yoghurt that I want to try. I have an easy yo so I'm going to give that a go tonight with milk and starter.
    Anyone else a big cook from scratch person? Would you like to share some recipes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread Amyd - following 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm following too, great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually (80%) am cooking from scratch, except bread, yoghurt or ice cream. Also, too lazy to press juice, or maybe no space for proper equipment (once I will get bigger kitchen... )
    I was just wondering who is doing stuff like yoghurt and also, what else you can make at home. I remember mum used to make cheese (the white one), but for that you need really good quality unhomogenized milk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cooking from scatch

Following! We made "chips" tonight. Sliced up potato, dusted with spices and cooked. It was a nice little addition to steak and salad. going to try it with a zucchini tomorrow night!
    I also make kefir which is like a more natural form of Yakult, more natural, less processed and none of the sugar Yakult is loaded with. I make about a cups worth every two days, and drink half a cup in a smoothie every day.

Edit to add - apparently you can use the leftover whey or 'grains' to make a very healthy cream cheese style cheese

I also make sauerkraut.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    Following! We made "chips" tonight. Sliced up potato, dusted with spices and cooked. It was a nice little addition to steak and salad. going to try it with a zucchini tomorrow night!
    I also make kefir which is like a more natural form of Yakult, more natural, less processed and none of the sugar Yakult is loaded with. I make about a cups worth every two days, and drink half a cup in a smoothie every day.

Edit to add - apparently you can use the leftover whey or 'grains' to make a very healthy cream cheese style cheese

I also make sauerkraut.
    I made zucchini chips the other night. Sliced the zucchini finely, flour, egg and crumb. Baked them at 210 for 20 minutes - loved them.

I've also heard that you can make cottage cheese by using rennet to separate the milk and draining it overnight through cheesecloth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (12-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I make a fair bit from scratch - I have a TMX which helps, but I made most stuff from scratch before getting one. Things I made pretty regularly are

Stock (Veg, chicken and beef)
    Spice mixes/seasonings (ie Taco seasoning)
    Bread - foccacia, pita pockets, scrolls
    Sauces - passata, chilli sauce
    Jams/preserves.
    Sorbet and ice cream
    Juices and cordials.

If you want any recipes, just let me know

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I make a lot of sauces like tomato passata, worstershire sauce, sweet chilli sauce, curry pastes, pasta sauces, bbq sauce, teriyaki sauce , stocks and always make my own breadcrumbs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH and I make a fair bit from scratch. He is gluten intolerant so for us it's often easier than buying pre-made stuff.

Regulars include:
    • stock
    • tortillas
    • hot chilli sauce
    • ice cream and sorbet (we do it with dry ice in the mixer - works a treat)
    • mayonnaise