+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I am such a bread snob. I only buy bakers delight bread and won't freeze it because I don't like it once thawed. I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.

And to the poster who didn't know about freezing milk, it was a common practice in my house growing up- I grew up on a farm and mum shopped weekly. Milk was frozen in the container to keep it longer and defrosted in the fridge at least a day before it was needed. It looks weird frozen but tasted ok once defrosted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

French Pear  (11-11-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    I am such a bread snob. I only buy bakers delight bread and won't freeze it because I don't like it once thawed. I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.

And to the poster who didn't know about freezing milk, it was a common practice in my house growing up- I grew up on a farm and mum shopped weekly. Milk was frozen in the container to keep it longer and defrosted in the fridge at least a day before it was needed. It looks weird frozen but tasted ok once defrosted.
    Look at Nomsie Rockefeller over here

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Look at Nomsie Rockefeller over here
    Quite, quite.

Pip pip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.
    I do wonder what's in it to make it last that long though. As when we make it in the bread maker with just the pure ingredients it is only fresh for a day, 2 at the most, then starts to go stale:, as no preservatives. 3-4 days makes me wonder......though their bread is yummy, he he

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Our coles and woolies cheap loaves are a lot better lately. We go through so much that paying $4 a loaf would mean at least $20 a week in bread lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make my own fresh sourdough bread and it doesn't last a week between me and DD before I make another loaf so I don't need to freeze.

We're both gluten free but homemade sourdough is tolerated as it's fermented and the gut can break it down.

It's so yummy. Store bought gluten free bread is just awful. Bleugh!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use frozen bread for toast and fresh for sandwiches. I don't like the way it defrosts, tastes funny to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I do wonder what's in it to make it last that long though. As when we make it in the bread maker with just the pure ingredients it is only fresh for a day, 2 at the most, then starts to go stale:, as no preservatives. 3-4 days makes me wonder......though their bread is yummy, he he
    A standard white loaf: baker's flour, salt, yeast, improver, oil, water.
    Oil is the only thing used as a preservative and it's not considered a preservative as it's a natural ingredient. All it does is keep the bread moist because it locks in the water molecules.

Also, the other things that determine the shelf life and product quality are the moulding technique, resting and mixing of dough, correct development, water ratio, baking time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (12-11-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    A standard white loaf: baker's flour, salt, yeast, improver, oil, water.
    Oil is the only thing used as a preservative and it's not considered a preservative as it's a natural ingredient. All it does is keep the bread moist because it locks in the water molecules.

Also, the other things that determine the shelf life and product quality are the moulding technique, resting and mixing of dough, correct development, water ratio, baking time.
    "Improver" is the preservative

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (12-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think bakers delight bread is awful. I think it's like saying I won't eat at McDonalds but sizzler is posh.

I am a supreme inner city melbourne bread snob. If given a choice I only eat sourdough bread without any additives. I used to get involved in debates about the use of ascorbic acid in bread.

Now I can't access it as easily and my kids don't appreciate it I buy abbott bread. I won't eat it though.