+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. #31
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I am such a bread snob. I only buy bakers delight bread and won't freeze it because I don't like it once thawed. I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.

    And to the poster who didn't know about freezing milk, it was a common practice in my house growing up- I grew up on a farm and mum shopped weekly. Milk was frozen in the container to keep it longer and defrosted in the fridge at least a day before it was needed. It looks weird frozen but tasted ok once defrosted.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

    French Pear  (11-11-2014)

  3. #32
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    I am such a bread snob. I only buy bakers delight bread and won't freeze it because I don't like it once thawed. I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.

    And to the poster who didn't know about freezing milk, it was a common practice in my house growing up- I grew up on a farm and mum shopped weekly. Milk was frozen in the container to keep it longer and defrosted in the fridge at least a day before it was needed. It looks weird frozen but tasted ok once defrosted.
    Look at Nomsie Rockefeller over here

  4. #33
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Look at Nomsie Rockefeller over here
    Quite, quite.



    Pip pip.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    2,645
    Thanks
    1,036
    Thanked
    863
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    I would rather pay more for a great BD loaf of bread which can easily last 3-4 days and still be nice, than buy an 80c loaf from the supermarket and have it be disgusting right away.
    I do wonder what's in it to make it last that long though. As when we make it in the bread maker with just the pure ingredients it is only fresh for a day, 2 at the most, then starts to go stale:, as no preservatives. 3-4 days makes me wonder......though their bread is yummy, he he

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Our coles and woolies cheap loaves are a lot better lately. We go through so much that paying $4 a loaf would mean at least $20 a week in bread lol

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    156
    Thanked
    346
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make my own fresh sourdough bread and it doesn't last a week between me and DD before I make another loaf so I don't need to freeze.

    We're both gluten free but homemade sourdough is tolerated as it's fermented and the gut can break it down.

    It's so yummy. Store bought gluten free bread is just awful. Bleugh!!

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,757
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked
    2,112
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use frozen bread for toast and fresh for sandwiches. I don't like the way it defrosts, tastes funny to me.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,397
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I do wonder what's in it to make it last that long though. As when we make it in the bread maker with just the pure ingredients it is only fresh for a day, 2 at the most, then starts to go stale:, as no preservatives. 3-4 days makes me wonder......though their bread is yummy, he he
    A standard white loaf: baker's flour, salt, yeast, improver, oil, water.
    Oil is the only thing used as a preservative and it's not considered a preservative as it's a natural ingredient. All it does is keep the bread moist because it locks in the water molecules.

    Also, the other things that determine the shelf life and product quality are the moulding technique, resting and mixing of dough, correct development, water ratio, baking time.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    Bond Girl  (12-11-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2014)

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,196
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked
    960
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    A standard white loaf: baker's flour, salt, yeast, improver, oil, water.
    Oil is the only thing used as a preservative and it's not considered a preservative as it's a natural ingredient. All it does is keep the bread moist because it locks in the water molecules.

    Also, the other things that determine the shelf life and product quality are the moulding technique, resting and mixing of dough, correct development, water ratio, baking time.
    "Improver" is the preservative

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

    Bond Girl  (12-11-2014)

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think bakers delight bread is awful. I think it's like saying I won't eat at McDonalds but sizzler is posh.

    I am a supreme inner city melbourne bread snob. If given a choice I only eat sourdough bread without any additives. I used to get involved in debates about the use of ascorbic acid in bread.

    Now I can't access it as easily and my kids don't appreciate it I buy abbott bread. I won't eat it though.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gluten free coconut bread in a bread maker
    By SAgirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 17:04
  2. Bread machine help!
    By Autumncurl in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-04-2014, 00:49
  3. Bread maker
    By NAT256 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 07:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Mini Maestros
Nurturing Confident Learners. Mini Maestros offers music classes for children 6 months to 5 years of age. It is the longest running and most successful Australian business of its kind.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!