+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I'm getting the mirena put in in a couple of months. I'm getting it done at a sexual health clinic so insertion and appointments are bulk billed. I only pay for the mirena which is $30. I also have endo and scarring from 3 surgeries, however the doctor that puts them in is apparently the best dr to do it as she does so many every week. A lot of women are referred to her after birth for IUD insertions. They also do screening tests for infections before insertion to make sure they don't push anything up into your uterus which supposedly a lot of drs don't do (I was concerned with this as I've had infections before). I'm hoping it keeps my endo under control with less side effects than the pill.

I think the higher price you are paying is perhaps because you are going through a private doctor? Either way I hope it works for you too - I've heard so many good things about it
    That sounds a lot more affordable.
    What state are you in if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if my state has a similar place that offers it at the same cost....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Holy cow, that is crazy expensive. I rang around Brisbane to get prices. I did encounter one that almost charged that amount you stated. I had my first one put in with a gyne and it was quite pricey. This time I went to the local family planning clinic. I was out f pocket I think around $100 (including a annual fee to use the clinic). They are experts on sexual health etc. The family planning clinic were very thorough and I would prefer to see them again regarding contraception compared to the gyne.
    I only had two days where I felt quite hormonal and a bit crazy. I also felt that way when it was removed. But otherwise it is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    Holy cow, that is crazy expensive. I rang around Brisbane to get prices. I did encounter one that almost charged that amount you stated. I had my first one put in with a gyne and it was quite pricey. This time I went to the local family planning clinic. I was out f pocket I think around $100 (including a annual fee to use the clinic). They are experts on sexual health etc. The family planning clinic were very thorough and I would prefer to see them again regarding contraception compared to the gyne.
    I only had two days where I felt quite hormonal and a bit crazy. I also felt that way when it was removed. But otherwise it is great!
    Thanks Tippeytoes I have just got off the phone from my local GP and the cost should be around $120 out of pocket possibly even less as I have hit the safety net...so might give it a go and see how it works for me.
    Thanks for your advice 😃

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (14-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    That sounds a lot more affordable.
    What state are you in if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if my state has a similar place that offers it at the same cost....
    Sorry for the late response! I'm in SA I'm getting it done through ShineSA - there would probably be similar sexual health/family planning clinics though in each state that would be more affordable - worth a look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have endo. My periods were getting worse and worse each month. Lots of clots and very heavy. I was nearly fainting, the pain was terrible. One month I took pain killers for 3 entire days (panadeine forte on day one, nurofen / Panadol during the day, Panadol overnight for the other 2 days), this included getting up a couple of times during the night for more. One day I had to get my friend to come and pick up my 3 y/o as I was in so much pain.

I went and saw a gyno and he suggested we try the Mirena as a first option. I had it put in 2 months ago and both periods I've had since then have been so light I've only needed a panty liner for the few days I had it. Both times it arrived without me even realising it was due. I've had no issues emotionally and I thought the idea of having something foreign in my body would freak me out but it actually hasn't.

We did discuss the pill with the gyno but as I am over 40 he was very reluctant to prescribe it as its not recommended.

I totally would recommend the Mirena. As for cost I didn't pay anywhere near what you were quoted. I cant remember the exact price but I think it was somewhere around $150 and I paid $30 for the actual Mirena device from the chemist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Sorry for the late response! I'm in SA I'm getting it done through ShineSA - there would probably be similar sexual health/family planning clinics though in each state that would be more affordable - worth a look.
    Oh SA I am in QLD....my local GP actually does it heaps cheaper I discovered today so thinking I might give it a try.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I have endo. My periods were getting worse and worse each month. Lots of clots and very heavy. I was nearly fainting, the pain was terrible. One month I took pain killers for 3 entire days (panadeine forte on day one, nurofen / Panadol during the day, Panadol overnight for the other 2 days), this included getting up a couple of times during the night for more. One day I had to get my friend to come and pick up my 3 y/o as I was in so much pain.

I went and saw a gyno and he suggested we try the Mirena as a first option. I had it put in 2 months ago and both periods I've had since then have been so light I've only needed a panty liner for the few days I had it. Both times it arrived without me even realising it was due. I've had no issues emotionally and I thought the idea of having something foreign in my body would freak me out but it actually hasn't.

We did discuss the pill with the gyno but as I am over 40 he was very reluctant to prescribe it as its not recommended.

I totally would recommend the Mirena. As for cost I didn't pay anywhere near what you were quoted. I cant remember the exact price but I think it was somewhere around $150 and I paid $30 for the actual Mirena device from the chemist.
    Oh gosh you poor thing that sounds horrific ouch!!!
    I am very lucky with my endo in that I don't get a lot of pain which is surprising as it is stage 3.
    The cost is a lot cheaper at my GP so after talking to DH tonight have decided to give it a go and have fingers crossed it will be as successful for me as it has been for you.
    Thanks for your reply 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I had Mirena put in about 15 months ago. I don't have endo but I can't recommend it highly enough. I've had no adverse symptoms and my period has basically gone away, I get maybe a teaspoon of blood the whole AF.

A good friend of mine has endo and has a Mirena in, and it helped her heaps. Period totally stopped after 6 months.
    I was actually about to start a positive Mirena thread - there is so much negativity about it on the internet - but I've had one twice and it has been 100% for me, I had terrible periods, heavy extremely painful, where I would be doubled over in pain etc.

I had the second mirena put in in Sept, no periods since, no pain, no mood swings, no acne, no weight gain - it is MAGIC. I was seriously considering a hysterectomy so it has saved me from major surgery.

PS - I was never diagnosed with endo, they weren't sure why my periods became horrible - it was after being pregnant with the twins.

The cost was $30 I had it done when I was under GA having a Letz and cervical biopsy and D&C for the periods (In the hospital as a public patient so no cost) I had it without anything the first time - and to be honest it hurt. It literally only hurts for a second, but you can feel it.
    Last edited by beebs; 15-11-2014 at 05:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have endo but have mirena. It's almost a year now and I find it great. No more period pain (I used to take nurofen) and hardly any bleeding now.
    I saw the gp who wrote me a script so it only cost $30. She also referred me to a public women's health service so I had it inserted for free at the clinic by an obstetrician. There was a bit of bleed and discomfort initially for about 2 days then all good after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I don't have endo but have mirena. It's almost a year now and I find it great. No more period pain (I used to take nurofen) and hardly any bleeding now.
    I saw the gp who wrote me a script so it only cost $30. She also referred me to a public women's health service so I had it inserted for free at the clinic by an obstetrician. There was a bit of bleed and discomfort initially for about 2 days then all good after that.
    I think that's about what I paid. In fact I seem to recall it being less than $10 because the Mirena itself was discounted due to me having a pensioner concession card at the time. Then I had it inserted for free by a surgeon at an abortion/family planning clinic publicly.