+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Clingy 12 week old...

DD is 12 weeks this week, if I leave the house whether she is asleep or awake she plays up something fierce for DP. She will scream the house down the whole time I am gone. She has been doing this for the last 5 or 6 weeks.
    Last night I went and had a coffee with a friend, I gave DD her bottle and bath, put her to bed for the night she was fast asleep. 10 mins after I left she cracked up and cried and screamed till DP called me and said this had been going on for an hour and could I please come and settle her. DP had tried everything, nappy, checked if she was hot or cold, hungry, white noise, the works!
    I have a work dinner to attend in a couple of weeks, I would love to be able to go and enjoy myself and catch up with my work mates without worrying if DD will settle or not for DP. He tries his best and feels horrible that he can't settle her while I am out.
    Any advice would be fantastic.
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH used to feel really flustered with DS and I think DS picked up on his stress. Not sure if this is the same sort of issue but after a while DH found 'his' things - bouncing on the fitball, cuddles on his chest, listening to music etc to do with DS that I didn't do. Once he was more confident it got a lot easier and more enjoyable. Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you get your DP to have more one-on-one time with her whilst you're still there to try & improve their bonding? Does he do the baths & bottle & bed routine sometimes? When my DS was little I had my DH do the bath every night with him & then cuddle & give him baby massage after. It not only really helped their bonding but it gave me time to make dinner etc too. It might make things easier for your daughter too as she can still see & hear you so won't hopefully spit it.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DP does get flustered after a while as well.. ill definitely suggest changing it up a bit

I started that more one on one yesterday afternoon they had a great little time together. He isn't keen on bathing her or dressing her, he's convinced he'll hurt her because she's little.. but the last bottle and down for bed is a good idea I might get him to start doing that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    DH used to feel really flustered with DS and I think DS picked up on his stress. Not sure if this is the same sort of issue but after a while DH found 'his' things - bouncing on the fitball, cuddles on his chest, listening to music etc to do with DS that I didn't do. Once he was more confident it got a lot easier and more enjoyable. Hope that helps!
    I agree with this, DH found his own say of settling DD which worked for him. They could be popping her in the pram/baby carrier/swaying, whatever.