+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. She was the one who raised the issue of how she felt- uncomfortable, embarrassed and upset- before I even notified the school. She knows that its wrong to touch those areas and knowing her, I have to disagree that she doesnt have the emotional intelligence or understanding of what it means.
    Sorry I didn't mean that to sound dismissive or to underestimate how upset she was. I just meant that as adults we have an adult perspective on what it means to be touched and how we're supposed to feel about it. Kids develop this over time but of course they have feelings and have their own understanding of what it means for them. I hope you get some resolution from the school and some quality support for your DD 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry your poor dd is going through this hope the school pull their finger out soon and start giving you some answers about this whole situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincesSmelanie View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean that to sound dismissive or to underestimate how upset she was. I just meant that as adults we have an adult perspective on what it means to be touched and how we're supposed to feel about it. Kids develop this over time but of course they have feelings and have their own understanding of what it means for them. I hope you get some resolution from the school and some quality support for your DD 😀
    No, it wasnt dismissive at all, I do understand what you're saying and appreciate the input and perspective. Sorry if I came across defensive, I just want to do the best thing for dd1 and trying to stay calm and as normal as possible in front of her.... when she goes to bed is when I unload everything and it got the better of me (not your post specifically, just everything). Just feel so helpless and want her to know that she can rely on me and she isn't going to get brushed aside or have her feelings dismissed. Trying to find the balance of doing what I can but not making things worse for her if that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    No, it wasnt dismissive at all, I do understand what you're saying and appreciate the input and perspective. Sorry if I came across defensive, I just want to do the best thing for dd1 and trying to stay calm and as normal as possible in front of her.... when she goes to bed is when I unload everything and it got the better of me (not your post specifically, just everything). Just feel so helpless and want her to know that she can rely on me and she isn't going to get brushed aside or have her feelings dismissed. Trying to find the balance of doing what I can but not making things worse for her if that makes sense?
    Not at all, it's completely understandable that you need to unload and that's good for you 😀 It's also hard to have advice coming from all directions and not knowing what to do. Best of luck. Your DD is very lucky to have a mum who is so thoughtful and cares so much about what's best for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could always ask if a police officer can have a chat with your dd with you there just to make her feel like she did the right thing by saying something. It might make her feel a lot safer knowing there are more adults who are on her side, unlike the adults at school! What a horrible situation.

Hugs to your precious dd.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffed View Post
    I have not read all the replies. But i would be concerned for that boys safety as well. My niece started saying in appropriate things and gestures. And it eventually came to light her mothers boyfriend was sexually abusing her. Hopefully they look into his home situation.

i totally agree,,, i cant stop thinking about this poor boy and just hope he isnt being abused....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    You absolutely did the right thing. Yuck. Behaviour like that can be an indicator for abuse, so IMO you did the right thing for both children involved. Absolutely.

It's hard for kids to be brave enough to handle those things on their own, and the fact that you believed her without question then stood up for her is giving the message that she can tell you anything in the future and that you are a safe place for her. I hope it all works out ok x
    Agree, agree, agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naw hun! Big hugs! I have personally been in a similar position. I had to go outside of school to get a restraining order against a student that was bullying me! The school was useless in doing anything and then they refused to in force the restraining order. So my parents threatened to take it to the news and all of a sudden she was expelled. I really hope you get something done! What happened is so wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I dont know about going to the police. I worry that that is escalating the situation for your daughter ...

I certainly would be

- keeping her home from school for a little bit at least
    - requesting and urgent face to face meeting with the principal, and failing that with the school board and Catholic Education Office
    - if your school has a social worker, make an appointment with her/him to explain what happened and talk about what you and the school can each do - and have them talk to the class room teacher
    - write a letter of complaint to both the school principal and the Catholic Education Office - perhaps cc'ing your local member of parliament - about the way this incident has been handled. Outline your issues with the incident itself, the way the school have dealt with it (having both children present etc), how your wish to be present was ignored and the lack of communication regarding this.

Explain very carefully to your daughter that you DO believe her. That the reason you are taking this action is because you do believe her and you believe that the school has not done enough to take action over something that is not ok. Dont escalate the incident into something that its not ... but perhaps an analogy with bullying is something she might understand ... say when she was being bullied that the school and teachers did something about it ... and that you want them to do something about this too.

The thing is, unlike the school/Catholic education board/member of parliament ...the police have people specially trained to deal with potential issues of child sexual assault.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just reading and OP just another suggestion - apparently the only people that overrule the catholic education department is the actual minister for education - a friend of mine had a problem at a catholic school and similar to your story they just tried to keep it quiet but once she contacted the ministers office they then have to get involved and will contact the school ( government trumps church in school matters apparently!) so I would write a letter then contact the ministers office in your state and they will at least then contact your school and hopefully look into the matter independently - good luck and I hope your DD is ok

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (14-11-2014)