+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tips to prevent cancer

Cancer is scary! Both my parents have been affected, one deceased.

I'm keen to start changing my eating and lifestyle habits.

Feel free to add or sub.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 11-11-2014 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm obviously not an expert but I think food had a huge role in your health so things we try to do as a family to stay healthy :

Lots of fresh fruit and veggies - not just for vitamins and minerals but for their cancer fighting antioxidants- try and get minimum 2 fruit and 5 veggie serves a day and aim for the super dooper ones like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kale, spinach and broccoli - very lightly steamed or with spinach and kale literally wilted by putting a piece of fish or meat on top of it ( organic is preferable if you can afford it)

Plus obviously avoid/limit colours and preservatives and any processed or fast food

Only use coconut oil or olive oil ( or only cold pressed oils) and look at reducing your omega 6 intake

Avoid all processed meats and eat more fish

A wide variety of food is the best , don't keep eating the same things all the time

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (11-11-2014),olismumma  (11-11-2014),~Marigold~  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    - Drink more tea, especially green tea (antioxidants)
    - Exercise approx 30min each day (increase body strength/immune system)
    - Use more herbs & spices, especially turmeric
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 11-11-2014 at 06:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    - increase 'orange' vegetables high in Beta carotene, eg- sweet potato
    - include peanuts / peanut butter in your diet for vitamin E to help keep your cells defences strong.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 11-11-2014 at 06:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    - increase 'orange' vegetables high in Beta carotene, eg- sweet potato
    - include peanuts / peanut butter in your diet for vitamin E to help keep your cells defences strong.
    Ditto for almonds and almond butter - but make sure it's 100% nuts and no added anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    People have had lots of success stopping cancer through high carb, low fat vegan diets. So plenty of fruit and veg, organic would be best.
    I think diet would only be part of it. We are exposed to carcinogens everywhere in just about everything. I think going as natural as possible/back to basics would help. Look at your cleaning products, shampoo, body wash, make up, etc.. no doubt half of the ingredients you can't decipher as they long names for harmful chemicals. Things like BPA in plastics, the lining of tinned food, etc.. can all leach into your food.
    Hmm.. have you read slow death by rubber duck? They explain the harmful effects of chemicals you commonly find around the house.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ditto for almonds and almond butter - but make sure it's 100% nuts and no added anything
    Not PEAnut better? That's what I read. In small amounts obviously. I'm not a fan of peanuts or peanut butter. We mainly have walnuts and almonds in the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    People have had lots of success stopping cancer through high carb, low fat vegan diets. So plenty of fruit and veg, organic would be best.
    I think diet would only be part of it. We are exposed to carcinogens everywhere in just about everything. I think going as natural as possible/back to basics would help. Look at your cleaning products, shampoo, body wash, make up, etc.. no doubt half of the ingredients you can't decipher as they long names for harmful chemicals. Things like BPA in plastics, the lining of tinned food, etc.. can all leach into your food.
    Hmm.. have you read slow death by rubber duck? They explain the harmful effects of chemicals you commonly find around the house.

Thanks! I just bought the book right now!
    My mum and dad both had cancer (dad deceased).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Not PEAnut better? That's what I read. In small amounts obviously. I'm not a fan of peanuts or peanut butter. We mainly have walnuts and almonds in the house.
    As well as! Almonds I think have more though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Look at your cleaning products, shampoo, body wash, make up, etc.. no doubt half of the ingredients you can't decipher as they long names for harmful chemicals. Things like BPA in plastics, the lining of tinned food, etc.. can all leach into your food.
    Yes, I read a few months ago that Colgate are now adding to Triclosan (an antibacterial product) to their 'Total' toothpaste, which has been associated with things such as cancer, hormone disruption, reduced heart function and allergies in some studies.

Colgate Total, one of Australia's most popular toothpastes, has come under international scrutiny over health concerns connected with one of its active ingredients, triclosan.

The toothpaste contains 0.3 per cent of the ingredient, the maximum level before it must be declared a poison by the Australian department of health's national industrial chemicals notification and assessment scheme.

The threshold for poison warnings was raised from 0.2 per cent after submissions claimed that it would have widespread commercial implications for a variety of industries.

Crest have removed triclosan from their toothpastes and Johnson & Johnson are phasing it out of their products due to safety concerns

I swapped back to a regular fluoride Colgate toothpaste because I'd been using the normal Colgate toothpaste for years with no major oral health issues.

While chemicals are important in certain workplace settings such as healthcare, research is showing that antibacterial chemicals in consumer products such as toothpaste and liquid soaps are unnecessary at best and harmful at worst.
    Last edited by sky1; 19-11-2014 at 10:12.