+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    God everyone would probably judge the heck out of me! My DD is 14 months and she's had maccas (the fries to go with her sushi roll), she loves frozen coke (I give her bits of mine), she always has little tastes of my fizzy drink (I rarely have it but I'm fine with her having a taste), she eats cake and sweet things if we are having them. I've had the stares and tuts when out in public and I honestly don't give a sh!t. Her favourite foods are avocado and grapes (but she'll eat pretty much anything I give her) and she loves drinking water.

Would I give her a whole bottle of coke? No I wouldn't. Do I allow her to have tastes of mine and other crappy foods? Yes I do. Is it anyone else's business as long as she is happy, healthy and thriving? Nope, not at all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (11-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-11-2014),Mummy5ormore  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    I myself have had a blood reading of 1.2 and I tell you I wasnt thinking oh jinkies coke is so terrible i better find an alternative lol.. I was begging my 3 year old to bring mummy the coke because i couldnt move and I honestly thought i was about to die
    Wow, that is super scary! Diabetes is so tricky and it seems so wrong to people how hypos are treated but that's the way it is. Unfortunately an apple just doesn't cut it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Every single time DS2 has a public meltdown I am terrified im gunna read about it on bub hub.
    Could be an interesting spinoff... Have you ever been pinged on BH...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (10-11-2014),MsViking  (11-11-2014),TheGooch  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Could be an interesting spinoff... Have you ever been pinged on BH...
    I'd imagine people would be afraid to admit it with the tone of most of the threads etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised by some people's reactions regarding a low bgl reading.
    1.2mmol/L is extremely low. Mum would not have the chance to decide which is the best option. You would go with the closest sugar fix. If coke is on hand, it is suitable to use. It is an emergency situation. Who cares if your child had coke. He/she is alive.
    Perhaps not the best option, but people are caught off guard.
    Best option in those situations is the remedy which will keep the child alive.

That being said - if no finger prick had been done, just seems like a poor decision. Not the first child unfortunately.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-11-2014),MrsBid  (10-11-2014),Sonja  (10-11-2014)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @cheeeeesecake not to single you out (but I will ) the thing that drives me nuts about threads like these is the need people have to come on here and say "my kids have had 3 lollies in their entire life but really do what you want". I don't believe posters who write that mean that at all.

I was sanctimonious about my kids and their diet when I had 1 child. She got to nearly 4 without knowing what soft drink was and only having lollies at parties (and then it was natural confectionery company - inner city Melbourne parents ). My second was about 8 months old when she had her first chocolate (given to her by DD1 who had discovered this wonderful product and wanted to share).

My kids love their treats, and I'm pretty comfortable with my decision about how often they have them. Sometimes it can even (shock horror) be every day!
    For reals? Someone who doesn't feed their kids junk food cannot say that without being sanctimonious? I basically said earlier that my kids have never had coke and I don't really care what others do, every parent has different standards. And I completely meant it. Not my kid, not my problem. Oh there you go, sanctimonious to heartless in one paragraph, shoot me now

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I sincerely apologise to anyone i have offended and i apologise for posting this thread... it wasnt my intention to judge or cause friction..

i was just shocked at the coke..... i guess im just old school and a firm believer in water over soft drinks ........
    You don't need to apologise, everyone has a right to an opinion! I am still a big believer that children don't need soft drink. Yes DD1 may have it on the odd occasion for serious hypo's but my other 3 daughters aren't allowed to touch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by moongazer View Post
    I'm surprised by some people's reactions regarding a low bgl reading.
    1.2mmol/L is extremely low. Mum would not have the chance to decide which is the best option. You would go with the closest sugar fix. If coke is on hand, it is suitable to use. It is an emergency situation. Who cares if your child had coke. He/she is alive.
    Perhaps not the best option, but people are caught off guard.
    Best option in those situations is the remedy which will keep the child alive.

That being said - if no finger prick had been done, just seems like a poor decision. Not the first child unfortunately.
    Just so I understand (I'm no medic) is the only reason a kid with diabetes would need a coke would be if they had extremely low blood sugar which could only be determined by a pin prick? Sorry if I'm not getting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    For reals? Someone who doesn't feed their kids junk food cannot say that without being sanctimonious? I basically said earlier that my kids have never had coke and I don't really care what others do, every parent has different standards. And I completely meant it. Not my kid, not my problem. Oh there you go, sanctimonious to heartless in one paragraph, shoot me now
    Calm down clearly I'm not alone in that view given the number of people who agreed with the post. Food threads on here always make people defensive.

My kris don't get soft drink either. Nor lots of other things people give their kids. I didn't even read your post it was just a general comment about how no one on here (usually) ever admits to being the one who gives their kids cr@p yet we all see other people doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But if a baby was having a hypo, would you really continue on sitting around at the RTA?