+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have never had soft drink, but I gave my 16ish month child lollies on a train once. It had been a huge day out, she was totally over it, and was screaming, and nothing would settle her. Everyone was staring at me, and she was being more than disruptive - this child had a scream that could wake the dead. People had to stop their conversations because they couldn't hear each other over her screeaming, it was bad. My older child had some lollies that her Nan had given her, so I fed my 16 month old jelly babies for the rest of the trip. She ate about 5, and chewed them up and spat them out again and made a huge mess, but she was quiet after that. Was it healthy? No. Jelly babies are full of preservatives and sugars and colours. She is 3 now and has had a lolly maybe once or twice ever since that day. I don't 'do' lollies usually, but on the odd occasion - meh. I don't see why coke is much worse than lollies (apart from the caffeine) - it's all sugar and colours and crap, and of course it's not healthy. But I guess the difference is whether it is a once off, or a regular occurrence.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Soooo, dd age 3 just asked me for coke!!! Ummm, no way lol. (we have a bottle in the fridge which is very rare)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    Easy to say when you don't have to "be prepared". Things happen. On a day out at the zoo, my sons BGL dropped to 1.6 and I only had a few glucose tablets left but had a few small cans of coke with us. I gave him one because quite frankly, that far outweighs the alternative, of him passing out and me having to administer the Orange needle (which I have had to do, and wouldn't wish it on anybody). You do what you have to do.
    That's pretty horrible sniggle6. I can see how a judgy person could be quite upsetting on top of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @cheeeeesecake not to single you out (but I will ) the thing that drives me nuts about threads like these is the need people have to come on here and say "my kids have had 3 lollies in their entire life but really do what you want". I don't believe posters who write that mean that at all.

I was sanctimonious about my kids and their diet when I had 1 child. She got to nearly 4 without knowing what soft drink was and only having lollies at parties (and then it was natural confectionery company - inner city Melbourne parents ). My second was about 8 months old when she had her first chocolate (given to her by DD1 who had discovered this wonderful product and wanted to share).

My kids love their treats, and I'm pretty comfortable with my decision about how often they have them. Sometimes it can even (shock horror) be every day!

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-11-2014),btmacxxx  (10-11-2014),DailyDiversion  (10-11-2014),dancingchipmunk  (10-11-2014),GirlsRock  (10-11-2014),Jay2014  (10-11-2014),Jodes35  (10-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-11-2014),MsViking  (10-11-2014),ozeymumof5  (10-11-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-11-2014),Purple Lily  (10-11-2014),snowqu33n  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    That's pretty horrible sniggle6. I can see how a judgy person could be quite upsetting on top of that.
    Thanks, Elionwy. I understand why people are judgy but until you're in that situation and need something quickly, you truly cannot understand. You can't just stop and say "well, coke is pretty terrible so I better go and look for a better alternative". At home, we keep lemonade on hand for these kind of things and usually have glucose tablets when we're out but I got caught short this time.

It just seems to be a pretty harsh thing to be judgemental about.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniggle6 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-11-2014),MsViking  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Maybe the title could be changed to "why do some people give their kids coke?"
    Yes I think that might solve a lot of problems actually!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Well MY kids have never had soft drink (giggles ) but lord help me if I walk past a donut king without getting DS2 a donut of some sort

Honestly I am just so anti-judging because I know what it feels like to be constantly judged. DS2 had a meltdown at the shops last week. I cried silently while walking him screaming in a trolley whilst letting DS3 toddle behind so that DS2 couldnt hurt him by accident, all the way back to the othet end of the shopping centre where my car was parked. The amount of people who shook their head at me as I walked past, or tut-tutted at me. They judged me as a $hi7 mum. I like to think I'm not. Every single time DS2 has a public meltdown I am terrified im gunna read about it on bub hub.
    So I make a concious effort not to judge others, because it hurts.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (10-11-2014),jez  (10-11-2014),JR03  (10-11-2014),MsViking  (11-11-2014),PinkPopsicle  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @cheeeeesecake not to single you out (but I will ) the thing that drives me nuts about threads like these is the need people have to come on here and say "my kids have had 3 lollies in their entire life but really do what you want". I don't believe posters who write that mean that at all.

I was sanctimonious about my kids and their diet when I had 1 child. She got to nearly 4 without knowing what soft drink was and only having lollies at parties (and then it was natural confectionery company - inner city Melbourne parents ). My second was about 8 months old when she had her first chocolate (given to her by DD1 who had discovered this wonderful product and wanted to share).

My kids love their treats, and I'm pretty comfortable with my decision about how often they have them. Sometimes it can even (shock horror) be every day!
    Yeah, I think my post came across wrong. I was not meaning to sound 'sanctimonious' at all - I was giving an example of when I gave my 16mo child lollies, and that I really don't think giving lollies is any better than giving coke. I have 3 children, and I haven't changed their diets over the years/ each child - I was saying that there was not much difference between my feeding my baby lollies, and the mum feeding the baby coke.

I read a thread recently about a mcdonalds party, and I saw a few sanctimonious parents say that they would decline a mcdonalds party invite because 'my children don't eat that food'. Where as I am of the opinion that a party is a party, kids eat crap food at parties, and that's ok with me.

It seems like some junk foods are more socially acceptable than others on BH. It's ok to say that your kids have never had Mcdonalds or coke, because they are the two big evils. But it's not ok to say your kids have never had chocolate, or lollies, which I think are equally as bad - I don't get why some junk is socially acceptable and some isn't. Everything in moderation, I say.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

jez  (10-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (10-11-2014),snowqu33n  (10-11-2014),Starfish30  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Yeah, I think my post came across wrong. I was not meaning to sound 'sanctimonious' at all - I was giving an example of when I gave my 16mo child lollies, and that I really don't think giving lollies is any better than giving coke. I have 3 children, and I haven't changed their diets over the years/ each child - I was saying that there was not much difference between my feeding my baby lollies, and the mum feeding the baby coke.

I read a thread recently about a McDonald's party, and I saw a few sanctimonious parents say that they would decline a McDonald's party invite because 'my children don't eat that food'. Where as I am of the opinion that a party is a party, kids eat crap food at parties, and that's ok with me.

It seems like some junk foods are more socially acceptable than others on BH. It's ok to say that your kids have never had McDonald's or coke, because they are the two big evils. But it's not ok to say your kids have never had chocolate, or lollies, which I think are equally as bad - I don't get why some junk is socially acceptable and some isn't. Everything in moderation, I say.
    Ok I see your point. And yes I was one of those parents who wouldn't let me kids go to a McDonald's party, but that's because I have a massive moral objection to McDonalds. Yes I think the food is beyond awful (in my opinion) but I also despise it as a corporation.

But I do see your point. And like I said I wasn't singling you out it was just that your post reminded me of so many posts I see in these threads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sniggle6 View Post
    Thanks, Elionwy. I understand why people are judgy but until you're in that situation and need something quickly, you truly cannot understand. You can't just stop and say "well, coke is pretty terrible so I better go and look for a better alternative". At home, we keep lemonade on hand for these kind of things and usually have glucose tablets when we're out but I got caught short this time.

It just seems to be a pretty harsh thing to be judgemental about.
    I myself have had a blood reading of 1.2 and I tell you I wasnt thinking oh jinkies coke is so terrible i better find an alternative lol.. I was begging my 3 year old to bring mummy the coke because i couldnt move and I honestly thought i was about to die

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (11-11-2014),sniggle6  (10-11-2014)