+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course there are alternatives but guess what sometimes coke is the best for a diabetic. Most soft drinks actually have more sugar than coke, and most soft drinks have horrible colour additives too. But the mix of sugar, carbs and caffeine are what work almost instantly for a hypo and if youve ever had one you'd know you would want to get that sorted out asap

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (10-11-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm just wanting to be educated. I don't see any need to give coke. If there is a medical condition then surely there would be alternatives
    I think it's more of an emergency type thing. Not a first choice.

I don't have anyone close to me with diabetes so it's something I haven't looked into very much but that's the way I take it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read up on the level of caffeine on the coke website once I was looking for diet coke for me so don't know if this applies to full strength but it said it only contains about the same amount as in a cup of tea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    If yoy don't understand why someone does something by all means, ask questions - people wont learn to be understanding of others without education.

But there is a huge difference between wanting to be educated and judging. If you expect people to respond without getting fired up, ask geniuine questions without judgement - I'm sure you'd get more answers and less people aggitated and annoyed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (10-11-2014),kezanazz  (10-11-2014),MsViking  (10-11-2014),Wise Enough  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with we only see a snippet of someones life/whats going on too.

Yesterday we were at a play centre and one of DD1s friends came over and told me she needed me, so I quickly asked another Mum to watch DD2 in the tiny tot area and went to get DD1. I got back and DD2 was crying (while the Mum attended to her own crying kid, totally understandable! She was still watching DD2) and a stranger said "no wonder she's upset, a baby left in a playground with no idea where her Mum was". So she initially judged thinking I was just off having a coffee/chat I assume, but I was off consoling my other kid who had fallen over. Yeah, I probably handled it wrong, but I had the best intentions.

Off topic, but you get where I'm going. We only see 2 seconds of a Mum/kid and write them off as neglectful/bad Mum etc

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-11-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-11-2014),PinkPopsicle  (10-11-2014),VicPark  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies for the info, I learned something new today.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (10-11-2014),peanutmonkey  (10-11-2014),Purple Lily  (10-11-2014),TableDancer  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I give my 2 year old coke occasionally. Usually because she hasn't eaten for 3 days and her fluid intake isn't great. She often goes days eating maybe a piece of toast a day or 1 yoghurt or small snack size portion of food for the entire day. She can do that for days on end. She is not a big eater at all and we can encourage her to eat all we want but if she doesn't want to eat we can't and won't force her. Usually by day 3 she is well and truly grumpy, losing energy and weight so we do resort to things like coke or soft drink to perk her up a bit and give her a bit more energy. It may not be the greatest option but it is one of the few options she will usually have. It is certainly not a regular thing but more of a last resort option in the hope she will actually eat or drink just something, anything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know my eyes still widen when I see it happen but I also learnt from a Mum on here that coke can be needed in other illnesses when feeding tubes get blocked - or something to do with tubes, I'm sure I've done her no justice in the reality of her situation which wasn't my intention but I just wanted to highlight another need for it that we may not be aware of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the mum never pricked her sons finger

i never spoke to the mum

she was on her phone and her son was getting restless in the pram .

im not trying to cause issues by posting this thread, i was just shocked that she gave him coke...

ill keep my thoughts to myself next time.. and not post a thread like this...

i just felt sorry for the kid ..........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nothing wrong with a bit of discussion and asking questions although the title does come across a little "judgey".