Closed Thread
Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nereid yes, please ask for a double transfer. At our age don't do anything less. I always did a double, apart from once when I thought I'd try something different.
    is your clinic one that freezes at day 3?
    Monash wont do this, they are only frozen at day 5. I think the chance of them fragmenting or slowing down in growth increase by day 4. So you may be transferring ones that never had a chance in the first place. I don't know how prevalent twins are from ivf at this age, but I would think the chances are low.
    When I had my viability scan at my last ivf to check everything was alright with my pregnancy they did find 2 sacs. But one was empty. LB recommended I do double transfers from the get go due to age.
    i would be moving through cycles quickly too. (Unless you need to have a break for physical or emotional reasons) Time is of the essence at this stage. My last 2 cycles were back to back.
    Kelly as we had exhausted every possible drug and protocol we ended up just doing what we had done before on my last cycle. LB was starting to show some pessimism towards the end with me.
    just to answer your questions I did 8 cycles with Lynn. I had a double transfer and 1 took. They were day 5. No pgd as I only had two left on the 5th day and I got a call from the embryologist that morning to race over and have them inplanted. Otherwise yes it was going to be pgd again- not that I had any luck with it the first time. It's not for everyone.
    i see your situation is different as your not getting the numbers at transfer. It sounds like LB still has some ideas for you. Sorry, did you do a down reg with her? I remember she told me that often down regs are better for older ladies.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team panda For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-11-2014),Nereid  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Team panda - no, I did Elonva with her plus Menopur, orgalutran as well. In my cycles at melbourne (on gonal f twice then Menopur the third time) I was only getting one or two follicle due to my almost non existent amh. The Elonva got me 5 follicles although they only found 3 eggs, so LB decided Elonva again seeing as it got me the numbers. I've heard lots about long down reg being great for older women but no-one has ever mentioned it to me as a possibility - perhaps it doesn't help with egg numbers necessarily in low amh-ers?

In terms of cranking through the cycles - is there any requirement to give the ovaries/system a break if multiples are being done? Does the benefit of a rest outweigh the negatives of waiting, with egg quality declining at the rate it does at this age?

And why did Lynn let you do 8 cycles before starting to sound pessimistic but yet told me I should quit after only one cycle with her? Can you insist/be firmer with them about wanting to keep trying? I mean if I had zero response to the drugs and got no eggs I'd understand... I guess they can't be seen to be encouraging at this age.. Given odds and costs etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes good questions Kelly,I think she let me go to 8 because in my case my first cycle got me a pregnancy, my subsequent cycles I was getting on average 7 eggs but always getting them to blastocyst. There was one cycle (no 3) ,where non fertilised and then LB decided that from then on it would be ICSI. My 5th cycle was amazing in terms of egg numbers and I ended up with 4 frosties. LB was pretty optimistic at that appointment but unfortunately they all failed. 6 turned out terrible, 7 was also terrible. She told me that she didn't think I had a chance after 43. And 43 was looming. She advised I go back to back, which she had never done before with me.
    What is your amh? Possibly down reg may not be good for low amh. Did she tell you what she is devising for your next cycle?
    In my opinion she is so busy now she may advise not to continue if she feels the odds are against you. I don't know, I may be wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting IVF Mar/Apr 2014 - aged 43, single #3

Yes I'm not surprised she said that about not having a chance after 43.. I was 43 when I started with her but have now turned 44.. My GP told me recently that LB never used to take ppl beyond 41, 42 and that she had ppl upset in her office (my GP that is) because they couldn't get in with her. So I'm surprised she took me. My amh was less than 1 when I was tested in 2013 so I can't imagine what it is now. Still I did fall preg on that low amh. I'm just wondering whether I'd have more chance of falling preg naturally again.. Not really an option at this point though (although I am going to start dating again). I think ivf can work at this age if you have good fertility for your age, if you're getting embryos each cycle. That's not me unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two cents worth on how many to transfer ... Last cycle I transferred 3 ... I could have transferred 4. This is in Greece of course. Over there, once you are over 40 they do 3's and 4's. I was told the chance of triplets was less than 5% and twins less than 30%. They said my best chance of getting pregnant with a single was to transfer 3 ... And here I am 😊. I figured after all I'd done to that point, and how far I'd travelled, I was going to throw everything at it ... The cynic in me also thought the chances of me getting pregnant with triplets was zilch! We'll go back next year to try for a sibling (my donor is cycling now and by the end of the month I should know how many frosties we've got) and I'll transfer 3 again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Biscotti71  (25-11-2014),BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-11-2014),Nereid  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kelly I think its possible to fall pregnant without ivf after 43, I keep seeing and hearing about people who have fallen pregnant naturally. I think with ivf the chances are slimmer for some reason.
    Also there is lot of contention about the amh reading. A lot of girls get different numbers on any given day.
    Vixjc from the experience of my family member who went to Greece, she did put three In and all three took. I would think as long as there is nothing wrong with the uterus and you have the eggs of a young woman the chances of implantation would be high. I'm surprised it's less than 5% chance.
    Last edited by Team panda; 24-11-2014 at 08:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    And I'll follow suit a la @Vixjc with my 2c worth re..transfers too....

As you can see from my signature, I also transferred 3 in my last 2 Cycles. The policy at my FC is that from 40+ you can transfer 3 if you wish..particularly when you've had multiple transfer failures previously.

In saying that, your FS has to agree to do it and there are many out there who'd be too gun shy to do that, but not Wazza No, he's the one that bought it to our attention that we could transfer 3 if we wanted to, so as @Vixjc said, the chances at this age of having a triplet pregnancy (especially with your OE's) are pretty much slim to none. Possible, but highly improbable. Again, the chances of having twins are pretty low too which is why we decided to go ahead. When I got my BFP I must admit that I was initially sh*tting bricks that it may have been multiples on board (wasn't thinking triplets, only twins) but common sense told me it'd be pretty unlikely.

You can also see that my first 3 Cycles were always DET's. My previous FS suggested that from the get go (to be honest, I was just expecting to transfer 1 on my first Cycle) because of my age. I was 4 months away from turning 38 when I did my first Cycle. So that's what we did.

I agree with @Team panda that at this age you should be given the option of doing a DET (unless you have some medical reason why you can't or you're not comfortable for whatever reason on transferring 2). Anything else is just a grab for $ IMO. Same goes if you have a good cohort of embryo's and they want to freeze them at Day 2 instead of growing them out until at least Day 3 but really should be Day 5 and then make you keep having transfer after transfer. Unless you're going to have them tested or can't transfer due to OHSS or high P4 levels etc it's again, just another blatant grab for cash IMO.

Ok...that's my ranting and raving done and dusted!! Have a great day Girls and Good Luck @Penny75
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 24-11-2014 at 08:53.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Nereid  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BlondeinBrisVegas is right,it's just a money grab putting back a single embryo. Also, you'd think that after one or two tries with a single embryo transfer they would allow you a double there after.
    Kelly i was just thinking that LB probably took you on at 43 because you had a recent pregnancy, so she probably believed/s she could get you pregnant.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Team panda For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Team panda View Post
    Vixjc from the experience of my family member who went to Greece, she did put three In and all three took. I would think as long as there is nothing wrong with the uterus and you have the eggs of a young woman the chances of implantation would be high. I'm surprised it's less than 5% chance.
    I've been to two clinics in Greece and both gave the same stats for donor embryos, so your family member must have fallen in the special 5% group! No doubt she has her hands full My donor was 20 years old, and even though it takes a truckload of meds to get my lining to grow, I understand my uterus is otherwise just fine. Sometimes I wonder about Murphy's Law and the chances of me having triplets or twins when I transfer 3 next year (particularly right now when bubs is running out of room and kicking the bejeezers out of my innards!) - but in reality I think its very unlikely, I've almost more chance of falling pregnant naturally and I'm certainly not holding my breath for THAT! Another part of it for us - mercenary though it is, is that when you are spending $12,000 plus out of pocket to get the treatment, you'll be more aggressive about it in the attempt for it to work ...

"Horses for courses" me thinks - be brave (we wouldn't be on this journey if we weren't hey!) and then do what you're comfortable with I reckon

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I froze my one leftover at day 2 because I didn't want to deal with 3 more days of wondering if it was ok - mivf wanted to leave it until day 5 but I just didn't want any more stress. I know it's better to go to day 5 but I was ok with that decision.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jem70 For This Useful Post: