+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    This is a standard lunch for DS although now I tend to put the fruit in a separate container and put a protein and salad wrap chopped in half instead of the sandwich. The idea is that he doesn't have to eat it all but to eat a little bit from each square which is roughly divided into protein, fruit, veggies and whole grains. I also give him a yoghurt. For morning tea he generall eats the fruit and yoghurt but if he's still hungry then some sandwich and/or the boiled egg. I try to make it look interesting by using different coloured fruit and veggies.Attachment 63049
    I love this! Simple, tasty, nutritious and real! I definitely think DS would like this too. Especially the sandwich fingers instead of 1/2 a piece. How do you keep the cheese cool?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I love this! Simple, tasty, nutritious and real! I definitely think DS would like this too. Especially the sandwich fingers instead of 1/2 a piece. How do you keep the cheese cool?
    DS's lunch box is insulated but I also put an ice-brick, a frozen flat drink of water (in addition to his regular drink) and freeze his yoghurt pouch so it's packed with 3 frozen items to keep things cool.

ETA: The only other issue is that if it gets knocked on the ground then all his lunch and morning tea goes, as opposed to if things were in separate containers. In Prep though his room had a kitchen and on the one occasion this happened he didn't knock over all of it and his teacher made him a vegemite sandwich. If it happened now I know the school has a system in place where he could get a lunch from the tuckshop and then bill the parents which I think is great.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 10-11-2014 at 10:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My kids take very similar lunch boxes to the one shown with very similar things inside. With wraps/sandwiches they like ham or chicken with grated carrot, grated cheese, cucumber, lettuce and mayo (tomato is the devils work apparently!), they also like pizza scrolls - either a couple of smaller ones made from puff pastry or one bigger sized one made with a scone type dough. Other things are cold chicken wingets or crumbed chicken pieces, a cut up hard boiled egg, carrot/celery stick with dip and my DD especially loves a little antipasto selection - olives, salami, cheese, grisini (bread sticks). Pikelets are always gobbled as well and they always get a piece of home made cake/cupcake/muffin/slice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Anyone have any ideas for an alternative to fruit? My DS starts school soon and absolutely refuses to eat any fruit other than banana and tomato. He's not particularly fussed with raw veg either apart from salad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi 2BlueBirds, your menu sounds great! For my boys, for in-class 10am brain food, I make chopped veg/salad rather than fruit (eg mini tomatos, capsicum, carrot, cucumber), morning tea is a muffin (If I have had time to bake), or a muesli bar if not, very basic wholegrain sandwich (I freeze a week in advance to save time and use a whole loaf at once), and a piece of fruit, water bottle. That's it. Lunchbox comes home empty every day. Sometimes a special lunch order eg: if the school has a fundraiser sausage sizzle. I make sure their brekky is heavy in protein(egg, beans, chicken, fish) so to try and set them with a good meal at the start of the day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Lil M  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are the best muesli bars to buy? I know some can be quite high in sugar. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD isn't at school yet, but I'll often pack her a lunchbox if we're out for the day. Things she likes that I don't think have been mentioned:

-savory muffins (usually zucchini & cheese, spinach & cheese or carrot & cheese)
    I use this recipe, then add herbs etc. http://www.thingsforboys.com/2011/07...ave-about.html
    -zucchini slice
    -pumpkin scones
    -dried fruit & nuts (although nuts obviously depends on the school. Pumpkin seeds etc. are an alternative)
    -carrot/cucumber/capsicum sticks & dip (cream cheese and hommus are favourites)
    -crackers & slices of cheese
    -kidney beans/chickpeas out of a can
    -apple & peanut butter/cream cheese sandwiches
    -grated carrot, cream cheese & sultana sandwiches
    -mashed butter bean & avocado sandwiches

Also just thinking...lots of kids seem to love caesar salad. If you could get lettuce leaves that would work as cups, you could add bacon/egg/dressing etc. inside and they should be pretty straightforward to eat. Will have to try that one with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pack four things in my kids lunchboxes each day. I try to have fruit, veg, protein and carbs each day.

Any variety of cut up fruit and veg
    Cheese cubes with salami sticks
    Guacamole/hummus with carrot sticks
    Homemade vegemite scrolls
    Sandwiches - fillings include egg and mayo, ham and avo, chicken and avo, cheese, salami
    I include something home baked most days. I do a massive cook up and freeze each holidays - Anzac biscuits, ginger biscuits, bliss balls, oat slice, coconut rough, date slice, banana bread
    Baked beans
    Dinner leftovers - quiche, pasta dishes (my kids love it cold), sushi, drumsticks, sausages, risotto, pizza, casserole etc
    Boiled egg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Kymetcalf  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this thread as my dd is starting kindy soon and I am already nervous about packing lunches plus going back to work full time!
    So many good suggestions already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing