+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any ideas - propping arm to take bubs weight when bf'ing

Any tips for how I can prop my arm or different positions I can use when feeding in public? Just to note, the position needs to be something workable for out in public using a feeding cover (ie places with no parents room etc)

I did it on saturday & just crossed my legs & used my nappy bag as best I could but It wasnt good enough & now ive succeeded in exacerbating an old sporting injury to my neck & shoulder & im in agony.

Obviously that cant keep happening but im not sure what to do, I prop with pillows/use a feeding pillow at home but thats not practical when out - im on public transport so I cant really cart around a bf'ing pillow with me everywhere.

I dont have a carrier that I can feed in & I cant use a carrier at all now anyway thanks to my neck & shoulder

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps consult a physio or lactation consultant through the hospital?

You could try football hold but given I don't know your injury could be hard. The first few weeks are all awkward but after that it becomes easier.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure on football hold, ive never had muuch success with it but I can try again.

Ds is 4 months old but im only really now starting to feed in places without a parents room. Plus ds is getting so heavy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will try a rest my foot on something - quite often it's the pram. I find if I do that and lean forward a little it's doable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always had to sit somewhere where I could put my feet up so they were near my butt and have my knees bent up as far as possible so babys weight was on my upper legs, my arms would cradle baby and my hands rested on my knees.

Eta.. Have you tried the ergo carrier? I have a bad neck and shoulder from whiplash and I can't even wear a halter neck top without being in pain and making me sick but the ergo was good and I carried dd for 16 months. You a bf while wearing it too
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 10-11-2014 at 08:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with PP's - I will either prop my foot on something and rest my elbow on my knee/thigh or pull one foot up on the seat and use my thigh to help prop him up and support my arms.

If this doesn't work for you maybe try taking a small towel in your bag and roll it up under your elbow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ds is 4 months old but im only really now starting to feed in places without a parents room. Plus ds is getting so heavy now.
    Just want to say, that's fantastic that you're getting closer to getting out and feeding in public! A couple of months ago you were concerned you'd never be able to, it's great to see that you're making such progress

More on topic though, I sit on the floor (where it's clean) if I have to, so I can lean back and raise my knees up and prop DS on my legs, like what ozeymumof5 said. Is that an option? A small blanket or cloth nappy to sit on might be easier to pack in the pram than a pillow.
    Sorry to hear about your injury, must be so frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips ladies! Ill try them all out at home before the next outing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Now that he's bigger can you have him sit on your thigh to feed? So that you only need to support him, not hold his whole weight?