+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Had such a fright - swimming pool scare

Just need to get off my chest.

Yesterday we took DS1&2 for a casual swim at the same pool they have lessons.
    It's a big pool and Ds1's lessons are held in the 'shallow end', it's roughly up to his neck (he is 5yrs old)
    Anyway, I don't think Ds1 realised that the pool actually goes deeper the further you move up because during our casual swim he was holding onto the edge of the pool while making his way up towards the deeper end.
    Dh and I were not too far away with Ds2, admiring his new swimming lesson talents.
    Anyway Dh looked at Ds1 and said to me "I'll go over and give Ds1 some company".
    Anyway just as Dh approached, Ds1 let go of the edge (I assume he thought he could touch the bottom) and he went straight down and couldn't touch the bottom of the pool. He obviously panicked and didn't know what to do. LUCKILY Dh just reached him and lifted him up out of the water.
    I need to get out of my head the terrible thoughts I'm thinking if Dh didn't go to Ds1. Normally we are very, very cautious with the kids around water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs hun.

It does give you a massive fright. I'm glad your ds is ok.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs to you xx my ds1 went under when he was 4 I was in the water with him but after an hour I needed to get out as a few days off having my bby and was so tired I asked DH to watch him as I changed 2min later I heard my mum screaming and BIL reached in pulled him up, DH got distracted very scary!! Hugs to you and glad your boys safe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy5ormore For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So scary when it happens. However, now you know he doesn't know what to do if he goes under and can't touch the bottom it's given you a big warning to do something about it. Under strict supervision from either you or your DH (ie be right by his side) practice letting go of the side and coming back to the top, then move on to jumping in without any flotation devices and teach him to turn around and grab on to the side. It's a fairly easy thing to teach (I taught my youngest when he had just turned 3 after he fell in the pool and had no idea what to do) and could be a life saving skill.
    Don't beat yourself up, just learn from the experience

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (11-11-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

its so scary how quickly things go wrong

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (11-11-2014)