+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Swimming teacher course

Hi
    I know it isn't strictly 'studying' but next weekend I'm doing a course for being a swimming teacher. It's a 2 day course and I've been told it's theory in the morning and practical in the afternoon. I was just hoping that someone on here has done it and can tell me what the 'practical' entails? When I did it in the UK years ago the practical was a week of teaching after a week of theory so I have NO idea what to expect for just 2 afternoons...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Ok, so it's over 20 years since I did the Austswim course (clearly I was a baby when I did it). From what I vaguely remember, you had to do a few laps of the pool, can't remember the actual distance. Also show a lesson, using the other course participants as the students.

I really don't remember it being too challenging.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Hi
    I know it isn't strictly 'studying' but next weekend I'm doing a course for being a swimming teacher. It's a 2 day course and I've been told it's theory in the morning and practical in the afternoon. I was just hoping that someone on here has done it and can tell me what the 'practical' entails? When I did it in the UK years ago the practical was a week of teaching after a week of theory so I have NO idea what to expect for just 2 afternoons...

Any help greatly appreciated!

I did mine several years ago now so it may have changed a bit and it will also depend on your teacher. When I did it it was mostly showing basic techniques and trying out different ways of teaching/games you can play with the kids to make it fun. There was also fairly basic life saving skills and ways to teach these to kids. I can't remember the exact details of it all since it was 8 years ago but the practical components of all the swimming courses I have done have been fairly relaxed and easy going. I guess because you are expected to learn much more while you are doing your practical hours after the course? I THINK you may be required to demonstrate that you can swim a certain distance? I can't remember exactly but I think I remember having to swim about 200m?

I hope that helps you a bit? I really enjoy the courses I have done! And I love teaching swimming.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EmilsMum For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (11-11-2014)