+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective C-Section Sutherland Hospital

Hi😊 I had an emergency c-section with my first at Sutherland Hospital as a public patient. The Dr told me to book a c-section in if I wanted another baby. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with my 2nd & am going to Sutherland again as a public patient. Have any other mums had an elective c-section at Sutherland as a public patient? I didn't think I was able to...do they prefer you to attempt a VBAC? Id rather another c-section after the failed labour & complications I had last time. Thanks😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Mmumm; 09-11-2014 at 19:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Elly81,

I can't see much of a response to your question, but I'm wondering what your experience was?

I'm currently pregnant with baby #3 and will have an elective caesarean also as I had one with baby #2 after a bad labour from baby#1. I had a c-section last time without any hassles down the south coast and was able to choose from 4 OBs in the area who saw public patients. Was this the case with Sutherland? Were you happy with the care?

Hope everything went well.

Lex

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be really surprised if Sutherland allowed an elective ( for no medical reason) as a public patient. They very much encourage natural birth. At our prenatal classes, they made a big point of explaining how many more staff are required for a c section than for natural birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know specifics for Sutherland, but if you've had a previous caesarean then it shouldn't be an issue having an elective repeat caesarean. Once you have a scar on your uterus it's your choice to repeat the caesar or attempt a VBAC. They can't force you either way (unless there were complications last time which would make it incredibly risky to a VBAC, but even then they can't force you).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although my cesarean was called "elective" is was due to medical reasons -my first labour resulted in a bad recovery from a bad 3c tear (went straight into surgery) and my muscles didn't recover fully from the tear so i have an an elevated chance of incontinence if i tear again. The OBs at the hospital also told me to have a caesaren next time. That was deemed reason enough but because i could still go natural if I was willing to take the risk, it's considered elective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my 'elective' cesarean 5 weeks ago at Sutherland & all went perfectly! Mine was an elective repeat caesar & no one once questioned it. I was actually told to have another one after my last birth resulted in a failure to progress during labour. The surgeon told me that my pelvis is very narrow & my poor bub was stuck. I only made it to 3cm after being in labour for more than a day & being induced. It was horrendous! I would have opted for a repeat anyway. Good luck to all who are currently pregnant💗