+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby blues or PND?

Hi, I'm new to this so hope I'm posting in the right spot. I have a 5wk old baby, my first. Def had experience with baby blues for first two wks after birth - unfortunately I'm still experiencing some symptoms & I'm finding it hard at times to cope with all this. I'm not sure if I'm suffering from baby blues still or if this is the start of some sort of PND? Does anybody know if Baby blues can still be around at the 5wk mark? Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Ruby0206; 08-11-2014 at 23:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really know, to be honest. With my first I think I always knew what I was experiencing was PND. It didn't feel minor enough to simply be the baby blues.. I found the adjustment to motherhood really quite difficult. On some level I think that everyone experiences that, but for me the depression/isolation/fear/anxiety was definitely heightened. I never got help and I regret that. It took me quite some time to settle down and enjoy being a mum. The second time round, all I felt was elation. I was on cloud nine from the moment she was born. So I feel like my experiences have been two extremes.

Have you taken the PND test? Maybe ask your gp for one and see how you score? It's definitely worth getting on top of sooner rather than later if it is PND.

hope you start feeling better soon, and a big congrats on your baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think baby blues are meant to be a temporary thing that last a few days and no more than a couple of weeks. That doesn't necessarily mean you have PND though. The first couple of months after a baby is born can be so hard and filled with all kinds of emotions. Plus sleep deprivation can really mess with you. However, if you think there is a chance it could be more than that, it is always a good idea to talk to someone. I think the earlier you get help with these things the better. Perhaps have a chat with you MCHN or GP? They will be better able to advise you if what you are experiencing is normal "new mummy" emotions or something more.

Congratulations on your baby. Look after yourself. I hope you feel better very soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congrats on your bub
    When you go in for your 6w check, speak to them about how you'd feeling and fill out the depression quiz honestly
    I cried almost every day for 4 months and felt at time that I wanted to strangle my dd
    I wish I had agreed to get a ref for a counsellor
    At around 6 months though I started feeling a lot better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look at the website 'PANDA' (post and antenatal depression association) It's full of information about PND. Baby blues are temporary and should only last for up to five days after birth. Perhaps make an appointment with your GP to get a referral for some counselling.