And all those santa clause type movies lol

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

sky1  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Can I ask what your reason is? You don't have to of course, I'm just asking out of general curiosity.
    I just don't "get" this kind of social ritual and tradition, to me it's people performing arbitrary behaviours because society dictates. While I can that see people do genuinely enjoy it, I feel so uncomfortable participating. It's like trying to act in a play, I know the script but I just really suck at acting.

Oh and I absolutely hate giving and receiving Bday/xmas presents! Trying to imagine what someone else would like, not knowing what you're unwrapping (hate surprises!), it just involves a huge amount of complex social behaviour, correct body language, expressions, prescribed rituals. It's so hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Explora View Post
    It sounds like your family celebrates Xmas? So does that mean you grew up celebrating it?
    Yep, grew up with all the usual Christmas stuff but found it increasingly stressful and confusing as I got older. It wasn't until I was about 20 that it occurred to me that despite the huge social pressure I didn't actually have to engage in it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    We're not Christian so don't celebrate Christmas...
    I don't think most of Christmas has much to do with Christianity anymore. I think the Santa/presents/xmas trees/decorations/etc aspect are a cultural celebration much more than a religious one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Full House  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't celebrate Christmas as I'm Muslim. To answer your questions:

No I never think that, I really like the Christmas period, I love all the pretty decorations all over and there just seems to be a happier 'buzz' in the air. I'm always sad when it's over and back to reality.

I'm not a big shopper but yeah the sales are good for picking up a bargain. I always feel sorry when I think of all the gifts people who celebrate Christmas have to buy at that time of year, and how stressful that must be for some people. For me it's pretty relaxed and enjoyable.

I definitely don't want to hide. When I was little I loved all the Christmas activities at school and even now I think it's great. DH and I go out to see the Christmas lights and I watch the Carols and movies on TV.

DD is only two so it hasn't come up. When she's older I'll probably just do what my parents did with me. They explained that Christmas to Christians was like Eid for us, a special day to celebrate with your family. I never felt bad that I didn't get presents because I got presents for Eid. I knew from a young age that Santa wasn't real, my parents never pretended that he was buy I don't remember ever feeling the need to ruin it for anyone else.

Yep I say Merry Christmas back, just like I say Happy Diwali to my Sikh and Hindu friends, and they all wish me Eid Mubarak. It never hurts to be positive and inclusive.

When I worked yes I went to the Christmas party, in fact every Muslim person I know goes to their work Christmas party, it's always fun to have an excuse to let your hair down. My parents own a business and throw a Christmas party for their staff every year, I went to those when I was younger too. We just abstain from alcohol and dancing but it can still be a fun night out without those things.

Pretty relaxed and happy to blend cultures. We don't actually participate, like no gift giving or decorating the house or having a special lunch because we save those things for Eid, but happy to attend Christmas parties and go see the lights and watch the Christmas movies and eat candy canes.

Hope that answers your questions, sorry for the essay

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

deku  (09-11-2014),Explora  (09-11-2014),LotusMum  (09-11-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (09-11-2014),Piyamj  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    We celebrate it as we are catholic / Christian. I often wonder the same as you, but more so wonder why people who aren't religious participate in Christmas. So many people identify as atheist yet still celebrate it.

I don't like how commercial it is so my family and DHs family do Kris Kringle as it means one decent present for someone and we give a list of 3 things we want to give someone an idea of something that's actually wanted (so no buying for buying sake and then wasting money and resources) and it's still a surprise on the day as you don't know what you will get.

I hate waste and that's why I don't like it when people who identify as atheist celebrate it, buying superfluous presents etc, it's far too commercial which I hate. I can't help but wonder why they celebrate it? Happy to change my mind if an atheist can explain why other than just because everyone else does it, or they don't want their children to miss out.

I understand that Christmas isn't a 100% Christian holiday, there are other origins, so maybe they identify with the other origins but I doubt that.

Our Family is now complete.
    Welcome DS The 'Easy One' 28.09.2014.
    Feisty and Independent DD 02.03.2012
    DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    We celebrate it as we are catholic / Christian. I often wonder the same as you, but more so wonder why people who aren't religious participate in Christmas. So many people identify as atheist yet still celebrate it.

I don't like how commercial it is so my family and DHs family do Kris Kringle as it means one decent present for someone and we give a list of 3 things we want to give someone an idea of something that's actually wanted (so no buying for buying sake and then wasting money and resources) and it's still a surprise on the day as you don't know what you will get.

I hate waste and that's why I don't like it when people who identify as atheist celebrate it, buying superfluous presents etc, it's far too commercial which I hate. I can't help but wonder why they celebrate it? Happy to change my mind if an atheist can explain why other than just because everyone else does it, or they don't want their children to miss out.

I understand that Christmas isn't a 100% Christian holiday, there are other origins, so maybe they identify with the other origins but I doubt that.

DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.
    I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. We remove the religious aspect and enjoy gift giving and spending time with family. I personally don't care if Christians don't like me celebrating Christmas (it's been a long time since I cared what anyone else thinks religious or otherwise).
    It's a way we can give love and appreciation to our families and have some seasonal fun.

As an aside the pagans probably resented Christians taking over their holidays too. People find meaning where they will, what other people do doesn't actually affect you (I know it's defensive but I can't stand it when people try to tell me how and what to celebrate).

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (09-11-2014),atomicmama  (09-11-2014),btmacxxx  (09-11-2014),LaDiDah  (09-11-2014),MINIRoo  (09-11-2014),Purple Lily  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Because it's a tradition
    Because it isn't based on Christianity
    Because it's good fun
    Because it's magical
    Because it's about spending time together

It's like marriage - you can't take an entire tradition and stick a faith in front of it to make it inaccessible to others. Some people tell their kids xmas is about Jesus, I'll tell my DD it's about family and Santa. Different belief system but same underlying reason - something magic for them to believe in.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (09-11-2014),Amiedoll  (09-11-2014),atomicmama  (09-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (09-11-2014),Explora  (09-11-2014),Gentoo  (09-11-2014),HarvestMoon  (09-11-2014),MINIRoo  (09-11-2014),NurseAnni  (09-11-2014),Purple Lily  (09-11-2014),Sonja  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im an atheist and we celebrate xmas. My kids know that xmas is baby jesus's birthday...i figure just because i dont believe in God/Jesus etc doesnt mean she shouldnt. I want her to make up her own mind. If she decides that she believes in God then fine. How am i to judge. I explained that xmas is a 'God' time because that is what the majority of 'Our' people believe.
    We dont go over board on santa, the kids will see him and ask him for a present if we see him in the shops and they usually get that from him on xmas morning but most of the presents are from mum and dad etc. They know its a time for spending with family and giving homemade of thoughtful gifts. I love giving gifts (not expensive gifts..usually homemade) and i love the fun and family and general feeling of happiness that comes with xmas.

She asked me the other day what praying is. I said its talking to God. Kind of like making a wish. I said some people believe there is a God in heaven and they talk to him through praying. I said Mummy doesnt believe in God but some people do and thats ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We celebrate Christmas as in it being about Santa and family coming together and presents ! - but nothing to do with Jesus as we are not Christian so to me it's a fun family holiday and definitely not celebrated as a religious one - DS thinks that santa is real and jesus is the fairy tale! ( he's only 4!)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-11-2014),HarvestMoon  (09-11-2014),LaDiDah  (09-11-2014)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DH 36
    L'il ol Me 31.
    The original origins of this holiday are derived from the Germanic people, who celebrated Yule, which centred on Midwinter feasting and drinking.

Early Christians actually tried to ban the celebrations, deeming them too heathen in nature, but it didn't work. So I find your comments a bit rich Because of this, they eventually just absorbed the holiday and used Jesus's birth as a reason to celebrate. It's widely acknowledged by Christians and non-Christians alike that Jesus would not have been born at that time of the year. Furthermore, you will find that nearly all traditions at this time of year derive from celebrations which occurred prior to Christianization.

I'm an atheist, and I celebrate at this time of year. I use it to eat, drink, and be merry, with those who I love. We give gifts and say thanks to life. I'm a Heathen, so it makes sense I guess!

I think it's a gross generalisation to state that people who are atheist use it to buy superfluous gifts. I have seen Christians celebrating this time of year who buy far more gifts than some of my fellow atheist friends.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-11-2014),atomicmama  (09-11-2014),btmacxxx  (09-11-2014),Busy-Bee  (09-11-2014),Elijahs Mum  (09-11-2014),FiveInTheBed  (09-11-2014),HarvestMoon  (09-11-2014),LaDiDah  (09-11-2014),LotusMum  (09-11-2014),PomPoms  (09-11-2014),Whirligig  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh & I are atheists and we take part in the festivities of Christmas. For us, it's an opportunity to switch off from the rest of the world and spend a few days with our families, eat too much and enjoy the excitement of the little kids surrounding Santa and presents.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (09-11-2014)