+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Qs for those who do not celebrate Xmas

Hi all.

I've always been curious to know how people who do not celebrate Christmas, view it.

Do you think "ugh I can't wait till Xmas is over so we can get back to normal."
    Do you like to make the most of the sales?
    Do you want to hide from all the festivities for 2 months but can't?
    Do your kids bug you about Xmas and wonder why Santa doesn't visit them? (And what do you tell them?)
    What do you say if people wish you Merry Christmas? Do you say it back?
    Do you go to Christmas parties?
    Are you strict about not joining in any festivities or relaxed and blend your cultures?
    Do you visit Xmas lights and Myer windows?

My Qs could go on all day. Would be keen to hear from anyone who doesn't celebrate Xmas how you deal with this whole season (that seems to take over half the year!)

No offense intended, I'm just curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We don't really celebrate it but it's not for religious or cultural reasons so that probably makes a difference to my response. And we only have a 4 month old, I imagine it'll be a lot harder to get away with once he's old enough to catch on!
    To answer your questions:
    We don't need to wait for Xmas to be over to get back to normal because nothing really changes in the first place.
    All of our non-grocery shopping we do online as needed, so no sales.
    We don't really feel the need to hide from it, it just passes by in the background.
    Not sure what we'll tell DS when he inevitably asks, I don't think I could bring myself to tell him about Santa, I'll just say it's a pretend game people like to play ("so let's play along when there's other kids around").
    I'd just respond with a "Thanks, you too". It's just a harmless, generic greeting/saying to me, like "Thanks, have a nice day".
    We go to Christmas parties if there are people we would like to see and spend time with, but that's about all we do there. We'll participate in a few traditions for the sake of friends and family but no giving or receiving presents, or decorating our home, or dressing in xmas colours or anything like that.
    I do like the lights, but I just like shiny bright things I'll enjoy them if I see them but won't seek them out.

Basically we just ignore the whole affair and it doesn't really affect our lives at all! We'll go along to a family thing on the day, because I do enjoy spending time with our families regardless of what time of year it is.

We also don't celebrate birthdays or Mother's/Father's day, and yes our kids will probably be so mad when they're older! We'll probably end up indulging them so they don't feel too much like they're missing out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    We don't really celebrate it but it's not for religious or cultural reasons so that probably makes a difference to my response.
    Can I ask what your reason is? You don't have to of course, I'm just asking out of general curiosity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's interesting @deku, thanks for your reply. It sounds like your family celebrates Xmas? So does that mean you grew up celebrating it?
    Likewise @meredithgrey
    Last edited by Explora; 08-11-2014 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're not Christian so don't celebrate Christmas, but I'm very happy to reply Merry Christmas if wished, and I respect that it holds a lot of importance to many. I don't really overthink it, I kind of treat it like any other public holiday. As a kid I enjoyed the Chrissie movies that were on TV like the Grinch, Home Alone and the Santa Clause. And I enjoy going to see the Christmas lights eg at the Boulevard in Melbourne. So all positive memories here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Explora  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Pretty much the same as @deku.

Xmas isn't a big deal, it passes by in the background. I certainly don't go out of my way to avoid anything christmasy, just put my own much more toned down spin on it.
    The kids still get presents from me. We've never done santa.
    We've gone and checked out xmas light displays before. It's not a big deal either way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't celebrate Xmas cause I'm Muslim and I don't get it as much said to me face to face. I work in a call Centre and I sometimes would say thank you or thanks you too. It's not worth explaining to a stranger and I think I'd get in trouble if I prolonged a call just for that reason. But if it's during our phone call then I'll explain it.

It doesn't bother me at all. Celebrations, sales etc. I actually love looking at the catalogues that come in the mail. All the food looks so good! I take ideas from it. I haven't been to sales for years but love the extended opening hours as it's convenient.

And yes we woukd be are strict about going to any parties. I went to my last work's xmas party because they had the effort to get halal meat and I had just come back from maternity leave so I felt rude not going. But it was a low key gathering in the hospital grounds and mainly just some games and food and no alcohol.

I actually make a point of going away during xmas time locally in Victoria but this time have nowhere to go cause haven't found anything suitable.

Street parties....streets full of cars. Noise. Don't care. It's not my celebration to make rules about. The only thing that annoys me is all the xmas shows that get repeated each year. Always the same ones so not much stuff to watch on xmas eve and xmas day. But it's only 2 days!

I love crowds and street noise anyways.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Explora  (09-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I aren't interested in going to the city much unless there's a specific need so don't go to lights. Next year my son starts kinder so will explain the truth to him then when it comes up. I want him to know there are different people out there that have different beliefs and celebrate different things and I want him to be confident in his response as to why he doesn't celebrate it in an age appropriate manner

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    The only thing that annoys me is all the xmas shows that get repeated each year. Always the same ones so not much stuff to watch on xmas eve and xmas day. But it's only 2 days!
    Tell me about it!

In 50 years time I imagine the TV stations will still be doing their annual screening of 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

Whirligig  (08-11-2014)