+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With my first pregnancy I was very overweight, but had the test done at 28 weeks just because that was the done thing, I was under the care of a private OB, I had no risk factors.
    This pregnancy I refused as I don't believe I have any risk factors (no where near the weight I was first time round) and as I didn't have GD first time, don't believe I'm likely to this time. But they check my urine for sugars etc at each check up anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmi For This Useful Post:

HoneySoyChicken  (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies- thanks to everyone for the feedback

I discovered after taking a second look at the referral that she hadn't even requested the 1 hr Glucose Challenge Test, she had skipped straight to the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (2 hr test after 3 days of diet changes). Considering the only factor is my weight (which has not been an issue with anything before) and I didn't have GD in first pregnancy (and am much better with diet now than I was then), I do not believe treating me as High Risk without solid evidence is valid.

I have had a chat to hubby and decided that my GP may have her bias goggles on at the moment (she was seriously deflated when she realised how excellent my cholesterol levels were).

I am going to go in tomorrow and request that she give me a referral for the GCT instead. If I am going to do the test, whatever, but I refuse to be put into a box and allow her to treat me as though she is just confirming a diagnosis which has little to no basis in evidence (which it seems that the OGTT is used for confirmation rather than initial testing)...

Thanks once again for your feedback and sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did mine at around 12-14 weeks. I have pcos and was feeling paranoid about it so suggested it and my Obs said yeah sure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

HoneySoyChicken  (16-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 12-14 weeks tends to be the standard for "early" testing. I think they wait until then because it is the placenta that is involved with GD, and the placenta doesn't really kick in until 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant. I saw the midwife yesterday and she said it's my decision whether I do the test as I don't have any history of diabetes and neither does my family, even though I'm over weight. I've been told they only test early if there is past history of GD.